Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Why doesn't DC respect for Wonder Woman.

Wonder Woman is my favorite DC female character and for the world of me I don't under why Diana is treated like the BLACKSHEEP of the Trinity Icons.i've done a lil research of current books and (Batman) has Batgirl.Catwoman.Harley Quinn.Nightwing.RedHood.Batman Beyond.Detective Comic.Batman and the Outsiders.n counting his own that's (9) Batman related books.(Superman) has Supergirl.and Action Comic not as many as the Bat but at least their's 2.compared to Diana we just have Wonder Woman.DC has given Katana.Vibe.Batwoman.Superwoman.New Super-man.Starfire.Cyborg.Omac just to name a few.when are we going to see MORE from Diana's family tree.Artemis.Nubia.Troia.Wonder Girl.Fury.Grace Choi.all of these Women deserve the attention and respect that DC give's her counterparts.and please let's not talk about supply and demand n who's popular.how did they get that way.they had writers and artist who told great stories.so if you can't take a character and make it work maybe you're in the wrong business.that being said DC give the AMAZONS some attention and respect.ongoing or mini's anything is better than nothing.

A lot of it has to deal with she is a woman and the writers. Each writer never builds on each other’s stuff. Not only that but the fact her villains have never been used right. Circe been beaten by Batman easily. A lot has to deal with she is a woman. She is only leading lady Dc has. Yea Harley Quinn might be somewhat known now but Diana is more public figures

They gave her Sensation Comics but it didn’t sell well enough to sustain it. They should relaunch it around the same time the WW1984 movie comes out though, maybe it will sell better now.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They gave her Sensation Comics but it didn’t sell well enough to sustain it. They should relaunch it around the same time the WW1984 movie comes out though, maybe it will sell better now.
    I don't think the movies have any positive impact on comicbook sales.

As for the topic, most of Diana's cast is boring on their own, so having their own solos wouldn't be as interesting as say, Supergirl, Harley Quinn, Batgirl and Nightwing. Of the trinity, she has the weakest supporting cast.

Diana is significantly more popular than her supporting cast, and even then, you could make the argument that Diana spends less time with her own personal supports since she's usually with the Justice League in some way.
    Last edited by KangMiRae; 07-25-2019 at 09:18 PM.

However, that's really on the main titles. Every time when there is an elseworld like Legends both her and her supporting cast are interesting. It's the writers not getting the supporting cast. There was a reason Etta Candy was very Popular.

Quote Originally Posted by KangMiRae View Post
    I don't think the movies have any positive impact on comicbook sales.

As for the topic, most of Diana's cast is boring on their own, so having their own solos wouldn't be as interesting as say, Supergirl, Harley Quinn, Batgirl and Nightwing. Of the trinity, she has the weakest supporting cast.

Diana is significantly more popular than her supporting cast, and even then, you could make the argument that Diana spends less time with her own personal supports since she's usually with the Justice League in some way.
    Her supporting cast isn't weak. They just aren't given as many chances.

First, entrenched misogyny within the comics industry (on all levels).

Second, Wonder Woman was constructed as a subversive character, and arguably even Marston didn't understand how subversive she was in her construction. I think nearly every writer who set out to dig into her found something that they (or DC) recoiled over and felt the need to remove and paper over. This contributed to the constant "fixes" and reboots.

As for her supporting cast, I think the difference in construction between Batman and Superman on one hand, and Wonder Woman on the other, led to some differences from the beginning. Batman and Superman are rather bland in their personalities—they were meant as imprints for reader projection. That caused the characters around them to be more colourful to compensate, and provide texture to the stories. But Wonder Woman was meant more as a person to follow, or some sort of weird kink fantasy of Marston's. The reader projection was more supposed to be pointing at Steve, causing him to be rather bland.

With these three factors combined it's no surprise that DC's usual stable of writers had trouble wrapping their head around the character and her supporting cast.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])