Results 1 to 15 of 51

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,247

    Default A DCU SUPERMAN show?

    So the TITANS and DOOM PATROL shows are both quite rad. I was super worried they'd be similar to all the CW stuff, but they're very much not. I'd put TITANS up there with DAREDEVIL tbh.

    With Superboy coming to season 2 of TITANS, how would you guys feel about a SUPERMAN show? I was thinking either a straight up SUPERMAN joint, or a SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN. I'd love to see something with practical effects, heavy focus on quality writing.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  2. #2
    Mighty Member Yoda's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Posts
    1,655

    Default

    They should go with the Lois Lane centric Metropolis show they announced when it launched. I want something like The Wire, but set in Metropolis leading up to Superman’s debut. Focus on the Planet, Luthor and LexCorp’s corruption of the city, the gangs and mobs, and like the government. You could have an undercurrent of the supernatural beforehand and seed in stuff about Superman, maybe bring Clark in towards the end.

  3. #3
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    2,767

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    They should go with the Lois Lane centric Metropolis show they announced when it launched. I want something like The Wire, but set in Metropolis leading up to Superman’s debut. Focus on the Planet, Luthor and LexCorp’s corruption of the city, the gangs and mobs, and like the government. You could have an undercurrent of the supernatural beforehand and seed in stuff about Superman, maybe bring Clark in towards the end.
    100% this, set the show in a more Cyberpunk Metropolis that tells the rise of Luthor and focuses on groups like Intergang and the other characters either right before or right around Superman’s debut. You could basically tell a “Marvels/Astro City” style story about what it’s like to live in the City of Tomorrow.

  4. #4
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    They should go with the Lois Lane centric Metropolis show they announced when it launched. I want something like The Wire, but set in Metropolis leading up to Superman’s debut. Focus on the Planet, Luthor and LexCorp’s corruption of the city, the gangs and mobs, and like the government. You could have an undercurrent of the supernatural beforehand and seed in stuff about Superman, maybe bring Clark in towards the end.
    Oh wow yeah I remember hearing about that, vaguely. Has anything else been said?

    Sounds cool but I just want a Superman show and not a prequel. I'd be okay with Clark being part of an ensemble and the show focusing on Jimmy or Lois but I want to see Superman and Clark in his daily life.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-26-2019 at 01:54 AM.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,807

    Default

    If Superman were killing it in the movies, I'd probably dig a bunch of peripheral Superman shows. However, with no active plans to make another Superman movie, the last thing I want to see are a bunch of Superman-minus-Superman TV shows. Just like how I didn't watch Sony's Venom because I just don't care about that character outside the context of Spider-man, I'm not interested in a show about Superman's grandpa, Lex Luthor, Lois, etc. I didn't pick up one issue of Action Comics over the 2+ years Superman was absent from the book. I understand a lot of fans like the Superman lore and such, but to me, it's all side dishes and no entree.

    Griping aside, I'd love a Superman story that's not all about Omega Level threats and the like. In today's environment of superhero media, it's hard to make a Superman story that would stand out. A weekly show about how Superman affects individuals at a personal level would feel novel, and let new audiences get to know the character on a more intimate level.

  6. #6
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,831

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'd love a Superman story that's not all about Omega Level threats and the like. In today's environment of superhero media, it's hard to make a Superman story that would stand out. A weekly show about how Superman affects individuals at a personal level would feel novel, and let new audiences get to know the character on a more intimate level.
    Basically Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man book but as a show staring Superman?

    Yeah, I'd go for this above basically anything else right now. Keep it squarely about Clark/Superman as a person. And maybe you could allude to the bigger stuff he gets into normally, but does this as a more "these are the stories that slip through the cracks" sort of deal?
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  7. #7
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,247

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Basically Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man book but as a show staring Superman?

    Yeah, I'd go for this above basically anything else right now. Keep it squarely about Clark/Superman as a person. And maybe you could allude to the bigger stuff he gets into normally, but does this as a more "these are the stories that slip through the cracks" sort of deal?
    Yes! This exactly.

    You can build up Lex's rise to power, interdimesional human trafficking of Intergang, the Invisible Mafia, Cadmus Labs and nefarious black site science experiments, Metallo and wonky counter intelligence programs, etc. all in the background but the ongoing show should just focus on Superman impacting people and doing good deeds. Practical effects and strong character work. Clark Kent's tiny crappy apartment, his lovable best friend Jimmy, his intense rival and eventual life partner Lois Lane, the changing landscape of journalism (maybe being just a reporter doesn't pay Clark's bills and he's also a fireman sometimes), Pete Ross visiting from small town USA to see his friend all grown up in the big city. A show less interested in the big cinematic battles and fan service and more involved in Clark Kent's life and the never-ending battle of Superman.

    I love how Brainiac looks on Krypton, that kind of mixture of practical effects would be dope.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-26-2019 at 07:27 AM.
    Follow your inner moonlight, do not hide the madness. -Ginsberg

  8. #8
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    1,814

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    If Superman were killing it in the movies, I'd probably dig a bunch of peripheral Superman shows. However, with no active plans to make another Superman movie, the last thing I want to see are a bunch of Superman-minus-Superman TV shows. Just like how I didn't watch Sony's Venom because I just don't care about that character outside the context of Spider-man, I'm not interested in a show about Superman's grandpa, Lex Luthor, Lois, etc. I didn't pick up one issue of Action Comics over the 2+ years Superman was absent from the book. I understand a lot of fans like the Superman lore and such, but to me, it's all side dishes and no entree.
    I have to agree. I don't want Metropolis where we see the Toyman, Parasite, Atomic Skull, Metallo, … all showing up years before Clark ever arrives. I don't want to see Navy Seal level Lois Lane single handedly dealing with the threat of Lex Luthor because... Feminism, diversity, empowerment. I don't want to see a novice Superman being supported by Emil Hamilton's scientific knowledge, Jim Olsen's computer wizardry, Lois' field advice, ala the WB Arrowverse formula.

    All I want is the adventures of a man who outraces bullets, outmuscles trains and soars over sky scrapers. Someone who as a team of one engages in a never ending battle for Integrity, Responsibility and Fairness. A man whose two lives superhero and reporter are dedicated to improving the world in small ways and large ones. SUPERMAN!!!

  9. #9
    Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    3,685

    Default

    Given DCU seems to be building its own little mini universe - one that's conceptually larger-scale than any other live-action DCU before it but keeping to the fringes of that world - I'm adamant that the only appearance of Superman in there should be Superboy muttering FUCK Superman, and then the scene cuts for a few seconds to Jon Hamm at the Daily Planet gasping in heartbroken horror.
    You can follow me on Twitter or Tumblr, if more of my opinions sounds like something you'd like.

  10. #10
    AT EASE, LOO-SUH! Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,831

    Default

    This thread has reached its logical and correct conclusion.
    #MakeAlexGreatAgain

    "Your videos give us hope. They give us strength in these times of slow normals, Chun-Li costumes and rampant New York fires.
    We shall overcome. The day will come when we are all warmed up."


    -Coffee That

    PM me if you tryina mix it up in SFV (and Dragon Ball FighterZ). Just know: the hypa bomb takes no prisoners.

  11. #11
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser Of Truth View Post
    Given DCU seems to be building its own little mini universe - one that's conceptually larger-scale than any other live-action DCU before it but keeping to the fringes of that world - I'm adamant that the only appearance of Superman in there should be Superboy muttering FUCK Superman, and then the scene cuts for a few seconds to Jon Hamm at the Daily Planet gasping in heartbroken horror.
    .........okay, that's it. Thread's over. Nothing more to see here folks!
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  12. #12
    Mighty Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,943

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    They should go with the Lois Lane centric Metropolis show they announced when it launched. I want something like The Wire, but set in Metropolis leading up to Superman’s debut. Focus on the Planet, Luthor and LexCorp’s corruption of the city, the gangs and mobs, and like the government. You could have an undercurrent of the supernatural beforehand and seed in stuff about Superman, maybe bring Clark in towards the end.
    I like this. If Alfred has his own show, Why not Lois? She is just as interesting (if not more) when written well. Tell her story before Superman. Also tell the story of the rise of Lex as a bad guy in Metropolis. Let them meet. He can be the big bad in her show. And bring Clark towards the end to show how he affects them all. Don't have to turn into a Superman show, but they can show him a little in the final episodes to end with a bang. But remember this is Lois' show, so she needs to shine too.

    And of course I want more Clark/Superman centric stories. I prefer a film series, but I can also accept a great TV show. Not a mediocre or poor one, though (like Supergirl and their treatment of Clark there). I rather have nothing, because something bad only hurts the brand.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 07-31-2019 at 08:32 AM.

  13. #13
    Ultimate Member Ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Of course, man! We're usually always vibinn' on the same page.

    IT'S SUPERMAN! is such a good cornerstone for a flick to be built off, I don't get why it gets ignored so often.
    We usually are.

    That book was indeed awesome. Man, I let a friend borrow it.....really need to get it back so I can read it again!

    Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Totally.

    I would like a Clark Kent who is similar in mannerisms to the George Reeves ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN. The mature label is for the meat of the story and world around SUPERMAN, not himself. I would like to see a narrative that deals with Clark grappling with real world issues in a more mature way than we've seen in stuff like SR and BVS, where he just looks miserable and uncomfortable all the time....and then the movie ends and you're left like "okay, who cares?"

    A Superman who is fun to watch and exciting to behold but also aware of his surroundings in 2019 (even if his narrative isn't taking place in the actual 2019).
    Absolutely. All of this. George would be a great blueprint for the characterization.
    Higher, Faster, Further....More.

    Truth, Justice, and a Better Tomorrow!

    Bridge Four!

  14. #14
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    3,811

    Default

    One of the more interesting things they could do with the Daily Planet is not have it be a big paper but have it be one that is relatively small in comparison to the others in Metropolis. All the other papers are owned by Morgan Edge who has turned them into political hit rags for his "enemies" and they are the last "real" paper in the city practicing "real" journalism.
    Now listen to me, Clark! This great strength of yours--you've got to hide it from people or they'll be scared of you!

  15. #15
    Mighty Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,943

    Default

    I never read "It's Superman." Is it really good?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •