Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I knew you'd get what I was putting down if I explained it.
    Of course, man! We're usually always vibinn' on the same page.

IT'S SUPERMAN! is such a good cornerstone for a flick to be built off, I don't get why it gets ignored so often.

Yeah, you can do mature content, swearing, and violence without Clark being the guy dropping F-bombs. The people *around* him (like Lois, who certainly swears like a soldier) might swear, and the violence Clark comes across might be a lot more visceral and realistic, but that doesn't mean Clark is going to be tearing people in half.
    Totally.

I would like a Clark Kent who is similar in mannerisms to the George Reeves ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN. The mature label is for the meat of the story and world around SUPERMAN, not himself. I would like to see a narrative that deals with Clark grappling with real world issues in a more mature way than we've seen in stuff like SR and BVS, where he just looks miserable and uncomfortable all the time....and then the movie ends and you're left like "okay, who cares?"

A Superman who is fun to watch and exciting to behold but also aware of his surroundings in 2019 (even if his narrative isn't taking place in the actual 2019).

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    They should go with the Lois Lane centric Metropolis show they announced when it launched. I want something like The Wire, but set in Metropolis leading up to Superman’s debut. Focus on the Planet, Luthor and LexCorp’s corruption of the city, the gangs and mobs, and like the government. You could have an undercurrent of the supernatural beforehand and seed in stuff about Superman, maybe bring Clark in towards the end.
    I like this. If Alfred has his own show, Why not Lois? She is just as interesting (if not more) when written well. Tell her story before Superman. Also tell the story of the rise of Lex as a bad guy in Metropolis. Let them meet. He can be the big bad in her show. And bring Clark towards the end to show how he affects them all. Don't have to turn into a Superman show, but they can show him a little in the final episodes to end with a bang. But remember this is Lois' show, so she needs to shine too.

And of course I want more Clark/Superman centric stories. I prefer a film series, but I can also accept a great TV show. Not a mediocre or poor one, though (like Supergirl and their treatment of Clark there). I rather have nothing, because something bad only hurts the brand.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 07-31-2019 at 08:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Of course, man! We're usually always vibinn' on the same page.

IT'S SUPERMAN! is such a good cornerstone for a flick to be built off, I don't get why it gets ignored so often.
    We usually are.

That book was indeed awesome. Man, I let a friend borrow it.....really need to get it back so I can read it again!

Totally.

I would like a Clark Kent who is similar in mannerisms to the George Reeves ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN. The mature label is for the meat of the story and world around SUPERMAN, not himself. I would like to see a narrative that deals with Clark grappling with real world issues in a more mature way than we've seen in stuff like SR and BVS, where he just looks miserable and uncomfortable all the time....and then the movie ends and you're left like "okay, who cares?"

A Superman who is fun to watch and exciting to behold but also aware of his surroundings in 2019 (even if his narrative isn't taking place in the actual 2019).
    Absolutely. All of this. George would be a great blueprint for the characterization.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

One of the more interesting things they could do with the Daily Planet is not have it be a big paper but have it be one that is relatively small in comparison to the others in Metropolis. All the other papers are owned by Morgan Edge who has turned them into political hit rags for his "enemies" and they are the last "real" paper in the city practicing "real" journalism.
    Assassinate Putin!

I never read "It's Superman." Is it really good?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I never read "It's Superman." Is it really good?
    It is......but it's not quite the kind of Superman you'd probably expect. It's based on the early Golden Age and serves as a kind of origin for the Superman we saw in Action #1, before a lot of characters and concepts were solidly defined, or even introduced in the first place. So a lot of liberties are taken, and Clark's character isn't totally immune to that either.

There's stuff that is very much an aspect of the era too. Clark smokes the occasional cigarette, which would be expected in the 30's but wouldn't fit today. So you gotta adjust your expectations.

But it's well written, solidly paced, and dives into the culture of the times with acute detail. The songs that are mentioned, the lingo, it's all very appropriate for the era and helps immensely with the immersion.

I think if you look at it as an Elseworlds, and not a definitive statement on the "core" Superman, just about everyone should enjoy it. But if you love the Golden Age and/or t-shirt Nuperman, I would almost call it a must-read.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It is......but it's not quite the kind of Superman you'd probably expect. It's based on the early Golden Age and serves as a kind of origin for the Superman we saw in Action #1, before a lot of characters and concepts were solidly defined, or even introduced in the first place. So a lot of liberties are taken, and Clark's character isn't totally immune to that either.

There's stuff that is very much an aspect of the era too. Clark smokes the occasional cigarette, which would be expected in the 30's but wouldn't fit today. So you gotta adjust your expectations.

But it's well written, solidly paced, and dives into the culture of the times with acute detail. The songs that are mentioned, the lingo, it's all very appropriate for the era and helps immensely with the immersion.

I think if you look at it as an Elseworlds, and not a definitive statement on the "core" Superman, just about everyone should enjoy it. But if you love the Golden Age and/or t-shirt Nuperman, I would almost call it a must-read.
    It also presents my favorite version of "Smallville" and Clark's upbringing. Jon and Mary Kent are good people but just really, really poor. The whole area is extremely poor. Woody Guthrie's dustbowl ballad Americana, not the more Norman Rockwell-y 50s stuff that is still prevalent in Superman (oddly too, given our current economic plight).

Jon Kent does his best to maintain his land, take care of his sick wife, and raise a star child. Honestly it feels a lot like a fleshed out take on the pilot episode of ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN from the '59 show that I'm always yammering on about here. Clark kind of shows up in New York as a mysterious figure, which is also perfect for him. There's a good amount of THE ROCKETEER in it too, in terms of "good natured man up against big odds".

I wholeheartedly recommend it, given all the caveats that Ascended has already said. Looking at it as the origin for the Superman that pops up in those panels of ACTION COMICS #1 is such a brilliant way to look at it, man. I'm going to reread it too now.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 08-03-2019 at 12:38 PM.

thank you guys. Is it a long novel? It doesn't have illustrations, right? Who wrote it? Maggin?

I don't recall the page count but it's not that long. Probably shorter than Tolkien's Return of the King, maybe slightly thicker than Maggin's Last Son of Krypton novel (It's Superman is on loan so I'm just going by memory, dont quote me here). No illustrations; straight up prose novel. Written by Tom DeHaven.

~ Black Panther.

I want a Superman show. Superman is not flying in the movies. There is nothing to look forward to except comics.

I would prefer if they do something like Bendis is doing on Action. There aren't world ending threats. But supervillains like Red Cloud can make an appearance. So, villains like Metallo or Parasite aren't out of question. It would be Metropolis on the ground level. With secret organizations like Invisible Mafia or Leviathan. A good amount of focus can be put on the staff of Daily Planet. There shall be a good dose of Lois and Clark. Show what he's doing when he isn't fighting world ending threats, though they could be mentioned once in a while.

This is the first time i have heard about this book. I have to look for it.

Totally.

I am fine with all of this. Except the part about setting it in the 30s. We might get a great show out of that. So, i am not against different ideas. But i don't see why such a Superman isn't a good idea for a contemporary setting.

If its because people have the classic idea of Superman its better to challenge it. I don't think Man of Steel was much of a problem for general audiences. Rather BvS made him boring. Most complaints were about Metropolis destruction, killing Zod or Pa Kent. I think if they had given this Superman more time, it could have worked. Looking at Ascended too for an answer.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-12-2019 at 04:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Soubhagya View Post
    I am fine with all of this. Except the part about setting it in the 30s. We might get a great show out of that. So, i am not against different ideas. But i don't see why such a Superman isn't a good idea for a contemporary setting.

If its because people have the classic idea of Superman its better to challenge it. I don't think Man of Steel was much of a problem for general audiences. Rather BvS made him boring. Most complaints were about Metropolis destruction, killing Zod or Pa Kent. I think if they had given this Superman more time, it could have worked. Looking at Ascended too for an answer.
    Well I think a Superman show set in the present day could work just as well as a period piece. But my preference for the 1930's-1940's setting comes down to using that to....distance....viewers from what they believe is the "proper" and "classic" Superman. See, the whole world knows who Superman is, and they all have a very concrete idea of *what* he is.....and almost every single one of those people are wrong, to one degree or another. And a show set in the past.....in people's heads that means its not the "real" Superman, but a new and different take on the premise, which means they'll accept stuff they never would with a modern, present day version.

Here, let me re-post a reply I made on the first page that might help.

I too want to see Clark deal with contemporary issues.....which is actually one of the reasons I want a more Golden Age style narrative (with modern undertones of course) set in the 40's. That allows you to tackle issues like racism, sexism, corruption in government and business, etc., without being so on the nose about it.

I also think the period-piece setting would provide some wiggle room for a more socially conscious and involved Clark. People have a very firm idea of who and what Superman is, and it's a pretty narrow definition (generic) that the character himself has never really fit, or tried to fit. A period-piece is going to signal to people that this isn't "traditional" Superman the way they understand him, which means they'll be more likely to accept things (like sticking his nose into politics) that they wouldn't with "classic" Superman. Basically, I see it as a way to circumvent the "it's not like Donner/DCAU/pop culture Superman!" crap.

Like, in "It's Superman!" Clark smokes cigarettes. You could never get away with that in a story set in 2019 but it works fine for 1937. Not that I think Clark should smoke, but it's an example of how a period-piece can get away with things a current-day story can't and how it changes audiences' perceptions and expectations....which means we could get away from Donner without people bitching quite as much.

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

My only problem with setting it in the 1940's is the way so many writers try to put 2019 values in historic people.

One of my favorite things in Roy Thomas' All-Star Squadron was his use of Starman as a bit racist. Both Starman and Sandy were shown with very negative reactions to a Japanese heroine as a teammate. Roy didn't have some big story where they were brought around to seeing how wrong they were. They were simply reflecting 1940's wartime opinions rather than being made to hold the correct views of the 1980s.

If our 1930-1940's Superman show can have realistic ideas like that, I'm more interested than a show where every member of the supporting cast holds anachronistic views on race, gender, and such. I'm not objecting to say Lois being a proto-feminist, for example, but rather to her views then being shared by Perry, Jimmy, Lana … I want some of the main characters (but not necessarily Clark) to reflect the outdated ideas without somehow being WOKE in the course of an episode.