Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Default Would you be interested in a flashback maxi-series focused on Jon's childhood?

Jon Kent has had a peculiar childhood in that it's been largely defined by giant time jumps in order to get him at whatever age creators wanted him to be for their stories. So, as a result, he went from being a baby to boy to teen in only a handful of years, while also being retroactively inserted into DCU history. The upside of this is that Jon's fast-forwarded timey-whimey youth leaves a lot of room for development. It might be an interesting premise for a maxi-series to chronicle the ever-changing history of the DCU through the eyes of Jon Kent, with each issue giving a snapshot from each year of his life.

What do you think? Is this something that you would be interested in reading about?

Probably not. I'd just get more and more irritated the more I read and rail more at the OOCness of his mother ever leaving him there with Jor-El. I'd end wanting to the throw the book across the room. Since I prefer to read digital, that would be a problem. I just don't think I could ever enjoy something like that.

And that's before the generally "downer" tone of it and of Jor-El not speaking to him at all for while and all the "losses" (as opposed to "wins" for peace and life-saving and heroics and so on) Jor-El caused. Definitely not my thing.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 08-01-2019 at 06:05 PM.

Not really. For me, the damage has already been done as far as his screwed up and contrived introduction into the mythos. And considering DC's track record with trying to retroactively fix their previous retroactive decisions, at this point trying to fill in the blanks would probably only make things more confusing and lore-breaking.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-01-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I'd be interested in seeing Jon's childhood and the adjustment Lois and Clark went through in being new parents (especially Clark, since I dont think fatherhood would come naturally or easily to him), but I'm not dropping a chunk of money for the story.

If it were told in the main title/s, either as a arc unto itself or through a series of flashbacks, sure. I'm already reading the books so why not. As a mini? Not interested enough to justify the expense.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Lois and Clark was pretty much exactly that, same with Super-Sons and Tomasi’s Rebirth run. But yeah if it was good I might pick it up. Not really sure what’s left to explore at this point though.

Astonishing Member

As a fan of the Pre-Crisis Superboy and Superbaby tales, it feels contradictory to say, but such a series would be anti-climactic for me.

Despite so much of Jon's life being a blank slate, I know where he is at 10 and at 17. I know he has no powers to speak of during his early life. That one of his two best friends is someone he's know for maybe a year and the other kept her hidden nature from Jon until recently. So there isn't a lot of untapped story potential in Jon prior to his intro at age 10. No JLA/DCU (didn't know dad was Superman), no Damian, no powers...

And between 10 and 17. I'm not even sure how that works. Did he spend 7 years on Earth-3 trapped by Ultraman? Did his body age several years somehow without his actually experiencing that much time passing? One of those two seems to be the takeaway from his return. The options are seeing Jon on Earth-3 "alone" for years being a prisoner/hunted, seeing those same years with just Jor-El as supporting cast, or assuming he lost most of seven years without experiencing them. None of those are something I want to read.

Maybe the next Crisis will give us baby Jon and let him age on panel over a few years. Til then I'd rather we just looked forward with his life.

The Lois & Clark series kinda did cover this a bit. The interesting stuff would be him getting his powers and when he finds out his dad is Superman (probably have to keep it from him for a bit so he doesn’t blurt it out at daycare). Lois & Clark, Rebirth Superman, and Super Sons already hit all the highlights of that.

I’d rather a Jon Kent: Lost in Space series with his travels with Jor El, and the time after the volcano which I think is left open enough that it can truly be expanded on. For instance, there’s no reason Jon’s Earth 3 travels couldn’t take him off world and back before heading to the Hall of Injustice. It’s really an era ripe for exploration.

That said, I’d love an updated version of the whole Lois & Clark relationship, marriage, and Jon’s birth & younger years. The current continuity is the Triangle Era more or less, so it exists, but it’s still 30 years old almost at this point. It could do for an update.

I really don’t care if it doesn’t all fit cleanly. If it’s a good story I want to read it.
    Last edited by Yoda; 08-01-2019 at 07:10 PM.

Not really. I am not interested in Jon ages 0-9.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Arrow

A miniseries which hits the "high points" of Jon's early days perhaps an ongoing series featuring a pre-nine-year-old Jon as its focus not so much.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Mighty Member

There'd have to be some sort of hook. Jon first found out about his parents and started exhibiting his powers at age 9. So telling a story before he was involved in the world of superheroes would be hard. I'd rather just have more adventures of Jon as a ten-year-old and actually have a chance to see him grow up on Earth.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

No. I don't need more reminders of all the lost potential that Bendis threw away.

Besides, Lois and Clark mini and Super Sons was basically that, with Super Sons carrying the torch until Bendis basically canceled it.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Seeing as how he didn't even develop powers until he was about 9 or 10 I'm not really sure what it would be about. His dad was already Superman by the time he was born. So it's not like we're looking at the emergence of super-heroes for the first time. The DCU through the eyes of a child seems fairly limiting. Now if he was in kindergarten when, say, the Death of Superman happened, that might be something different. But even then his mother would have to explain to him why his father isn't coming back. Stuff like this is why I was kind of opposed to him having a kid in the first place. Because you end up having to fill in the gaps with what happened when. We don't even know what Superman's history is.
    Assassinate Putin!

We do know most of the broad strokes of Superman's history. The Triangle Era timeline proceeds practically uninterrupted through the marriage. The New 52 suit and adventures come in sometime after the Marriage and take place probably more or less before Jon's birth. From there, Lois is targeted by intergang and they move to California, so we get the early Lois & Clark adventures with Superman wearing the black capeless suit at this point and working in secret for about a year. After that stint they return to the Daily Planet and move to Hamilton and all within a year of Jon's birth (he's a baby when they go back to the Planet). Hamilton farm era is Jon year 2-10.

Jon's childhood is the only real period we DON'T have an idea as to what was going on. We know before was a mix of Triangle Era and New 52. So you could use Jon to actually establish a good chunk of the timeline for the Reborn Superman because with the bulk of Lois & Clark's Jon-era adventures gone (they no longer were hiding in California for that period), Jon could have been in on the secret and a POV character for a solid chunk of the Hamilton time.
    Last edited by Yoda; 08-02-2019 at 02:31 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Nah. I am far and away more interested in a fleshing out of his time in space with Jor-El and his travels on Earth-3.

Outside of that, I think a one-off story chronicling the 9 months before Jon's birth would be a fun idea.

Outside of these two options I'm good.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Not a whole maxi-series, or even a mini-series for that matter. But maybe a one-shot story or something about Jon's life growing up.

What I'm more interested in is seeing Superman's history, and DCU history for that matter, through Jon's eyes.

How old was Jon when Superman fought Manchester Black? Was Jon in school surrounded by kids who thought Superman was a loser and Black was cool? Did Jon support Black over Superman, not knowing who Superman really was? How did Lois and Clark react to that?

Just an example of the kind of flashback story with Jon I wouldn't mind seeing.