Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Clark View Post
    My only problem with setting it in the 1940's is the way so many writers try to put 2019 values in historic people.

One of my favorite things in Roy Thomas' All-Star Squadron was his use of Starman as a bit racist. Both Starman and Sandy were shown with very negative reactions to a Japanese heroine as a teammate. Roy didn't have some big story where they were brought around to seeing how wrong they were. They were simply reflecting 1940's wartime opinions rather than being made to hold the correct views of the 1980s.

If our 1930-1940's Superman show can have realistic ideas like that, I'm more interested than a show where every member of the supporting cast holds anachronistic views on race, gender, and such. I'm not objecting to say Lois being a proto-feminist, for example, but rather to her views then being shared by Perry, Jimmy, Lana … I want some of the main characters (but not necessarily Clark) to reflect the outdated ideas without somehow being WOKE in the course of an episode.
    Well Clark *is* called the Man of Tomorrow. I don’t really see the problem with him being more progressive than his compatriots, the early Golden Age Superman has some fairly radical/progressive views for his day. Ultimately we need to like the protagonist and people aren’t going to like Clark if he’s being explicitly racist or sexist. That said I have no problem with the people around Supes holding “old-fashioned” values.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Well Clark *is* called the Man of Tomorrow. I don’t really see the problem with him being more progressive than his compatriots, the early Golden Age Superman has some fairly radical/progressive views for his day. Ultimately we need to like the protagonist and people aren’t going to like Clark if he’s being explicitly racist or sexist. That said I have no problem with the people around Supes holding “old-fashioned” values.
    This *is* a concern, and I too prefer my period piece stories to reflect the attitudes of the time (assuming they're not purposefully subverting things, like some comedies do....Monty Python's Holy Grail comes to mind).

Clark....he'd be fine. He's the Man of Tomorrow. He was very progressive, in some ways damn near radical, for his original era (and has continued to champion equal rights even when it wasn't the most popular opinion in the decades since). His senses tell him far more than our own so he's going to recognize our similarities. Lois has *always* been a feminist. Perry has always been that gruff but even-handed boss who doesn't care about who you are as long as you do your damn job right.

But I'd have no issue with Perry saying something we'd never accept today. I mean, I dont want the guy to be a *complete* d-bag, but if the story is set in the 40's then I'd accept something like Perry saying he wouldn't accept his kids marrying a black person. That's not anything I'd want from a present day Perry White (or anyone) but in the 40's? It'd fit the era, and by the standards of the day it's not even that radical an opinion; at least he's not advocating slavery or hanging people.

Like I said, I would want a period piece show to deal with contemporary issues through the lens of the setting. You can be a lot less.....specific.....that way. Like, you can do a story about Superman chasing a corrupt politician without trump supporters jumping on your ass because they think you're taking a shot at them. And a great way to do this without being preachy or heavy handed with it is have characters express culturally accurate opinions. That forces the audience to examine their own views from a new perspective and it gives Clark something to push against. You could have Perry say that thing about marrying black people, and have Superman reply that, genetically and anthropomorphically and in so many other ways, Perry has much, much more in common with black people than he does Superman himself.

It's a fine line, because those attitudes are offensive and out-dated and you don't want your characters to look bad or to be seen as condoning bigotry. But those out-dated ways of seeing the world can be used to good effect, either as teaching moments (as long as it's not contrived or heavy handed) or as a way to bounce off of modern philosophy and beliefs.

It all requires a very skillful writer, director, and cast....but when done well it can work to great effect.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Huge grain of salt, obviously, but a Titans instagram account is claiming that the second season of Titans will feature Superman in the same fashion as we saw Batman in season 1 - shadow, brief shots of cape, from a distance, etc.

https://geekvibesnation.com/superman...tans-season-2/

So IF this is true, maybe the showrunners have a kernel of an idea in mind for down the road. We only got glimpses of Batman last season, and now Bruce Wayne is a cast member. You never know.
    "Darkseid...always hated music..."

Every post I make, it should be assumed by the reader that the following statement is attached: "It's all subjective. What works for me doesn't necessarily work for you, and vice versa, and that's ok. You may have a different opinion on it, but this is mine. That's the wonderful thing about being a comics fan, it's all subjective."

an older Superman in the Titans show?

Who would you cast? I really like Victor Webster. He's 46, is a solid actor and has a great look for a superhero and is in great shape. But only if they need a more mature looking Supes obviously.

MV5BY2VhNmEzM2MtMWUxOS00YTk1LTgzMDYtYjE2YzU2Y2JlNWVlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQzMzEwNzg@._V1_UY317_CR115.jpg

Titans Batman looks like he’s in his 40s-50s so I assume Superman is approaching 40-50 as well. If they are indeed planning on bringing Lex into the show yeah I could totally see Supes showing up down the road. Let’s hope he won’t be a deadbeat dad this time lol.

I would love a CW Superman show set in the CW universe.

A workplace comedy set in the Daily Planet and starting Jimmy Olsen, similar to the (unfortunately short-lived) Powerless show would be great. It could even include Jimmy getting powers like in the Silver Age.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman