Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Default A DCU SUPERMAN show?

So the TITANS and DOOM PATROL shows are both quite rad. I was super worried they'd be similar to all the CW stuff, but they're very much not. I'd put TITANS up there with DAREDEVIL tbh.

With Superboy coming to season 2 of TITANS, how would you guys feel about a SUPERMAN show? I was thinking either a straight up SUPERMAN joint, or a SUPERMAN'S PAL JIMMY OLSEN. I'd love to see something with practical effects, heavy focus on quality writing.

They should go with the Lois Lane centric Metropolis show they announced when it launched. I want something like The Wire, but set in Metropolis leading up to Superman’s debut. Focus on the Planet, Luthor and LexCorp’s corruption of the city, the gangs and mobs, and like the government. You could have an undercurrent of the supernatural beforehand and seed in stuff about Superman, maybe bring Clark in towards the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    They should go with the Lois Lane centric Metropolis show they announced when it launched. I want something like The Wire, but set in Metropolis leading up to Superman’s debut. Focus on the Planet, Luthor and LexCorp’s corruption of the city, the gangs and mobs, and like the government. You could have an undercurrent of the supernatural beforehand and seed in stuff about Superman, maybe bring Clark in towards the end.
    100% this, set the show in a more Cyberpunk Metropolis that tells the rise of Luthor and focuses on groups like Intergang and the other characters either right before or right around Superman’s debut. You could basically tell a “Marvels/Astro City” style story about what it’s like to live in the City of Tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Oh wow yeah I remember hearing about that, vaguely. Has anything else been said?

Sounds cool but I just want a Superman show and not a prequel. I'd be okay with Clark being part of an ensemble and the show focusing on Jimmy or Lois but I want to see Superman and Clark in his daily life.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-26-2019 at 01:54 AM.

If Superman were killing it in the movies, I'd probably dig a bunch of peripheral Superman shows. However, with no active plans to make another Superman movie, the last thing I want to see are a bunch of Superman-minus-Superman TV shows. Just like how I didn't watch Sony's Venom because I just don't care about that character outside the context of Spider-man, I'm not interested in a show about Superman's grandpa, Lex Luthor, Lois, etc. I didn't pick up one issue of Action Comics over the 2+ years Superman was absent from the book. I understand a lot of fans like the Superman lore and such, but to me, it's all side dishes and no entree.

Griping aside, I'd love a Superman story that's not all about Omega Level threats and the like. In today's environment of superhero media, it's hard to make a Superman story that would stand out. A weekly show about how Superman affects individuals at a personal level would feel novel, and let new audiences get to know the character on a more intimate level.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I'd love a Superman story that's not all about Omega Level threats and the like. In today's environment of superhero media, it's hard to make a Superman story that would stand out. A weekly show about how Superman affects individuals at a personal level would feel novel, and let new audiences get to know the character on a more intimate level.
    Basically Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man book but as a show staring Superman?

Yeah, I'd go for this above basically anything else right now. Keep it squarely about Clark/Superman as a person. And maybe you could allude to the bigger stuff he gets into normally, but does this as a more "these are the stories that slip through the cracks" sort of deal?
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    If Superman were killing it in the movies, I'd probably dig a bunch of peripheral Superman shows. However, with no active plans to make another Superman movie, the last thing I want to see are a bunch of Superman-minus-Superman TV shows. Just like how I didn't watch Sony's Venom because I just don't care about that character outside the context of Spider-man, I'm not interested in a show about Superman's grandpa, Lex Luthor, Lois, etc. I didn't pick up one issue of Action Comics over the 2+ years Superman was absent from the book. I understand a lot of fans like the Superman lore and such, but to me, it's all side dishes and no entree.
    I have to agree. I don't want Metropolis where we see the Toyman, Parasite, Atomic Skull, Metallo, … all showing up years before Clark ever arrives. I don't want to see Navy Seal level Lois Lane single handedly dealing with the threat of Lex Luthor because... Feminism, diversity, empowerment. I don't want to see a novice Superman being supported by Emil Hamilton's scientific knowledge, Jim Olsen's computer wizardry, Lois' field advice, ala the WB Arrowverse formula.

All I want is the adventures of a man who outraces bullets, outmuscles trains and soars over sky scrapers. Someone who as a team of one engages in a never ending battle for Integrity, Responsibility and Fairness. A man whose two lives superhero and reporter are dedicated to improving the world in small ways and large ones. SUPERMAN!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Basically Tom Taylor's Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man book but as a show staring Superman?

Yeah, I'd go for this above basically anything else right now. Keep it squarely about Clark/Superman as a person. And maybe you could allude to the bigger stuff he gets into normally, but does this as a more "these are the stories that slip through the cracks" sort of deal?
    Yes! This exactly.

You can build up Lex's rise to power, interdimesional human trafficking of Intergang, the Invisible Mafia, Cadmus Labs and nefarious black site science experiments, Metallo and wonky counter intelligence programs, etc. all in the background but the ongoing show should just focus on Superman impacting people and doing good deeds. Practical effects and strong character work. Clark Kent's tiny crappy apartment, his lovable best friend Jimmy, his intense rival and eventual life partner Lois Lane, the changing landscape of journalism (maybe being just a reporter doesn't pay Clark's bills and he's also a fireman sometimes), Pete Ross visiting from small town USA to see his friend all grown up in the big city. A show less interested in the big cinematic battles and fan service and more involved in Clark Kent's life and the never-ending battle of Superman.

I love how Brainiac looks on Krypton, that kind of mixture of practical effects would be dope.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 07-26-2019 at 07:27 AM.

Retired

I don't think WB would have allowed this on the DC Universe service, because they would be giving one of their big money makers to an in-house site--and one that isn't making a lot of money itself. Of course, had DC Universe had a big Superman show, with the best special effects, then it might have brought in more subscribers. However, I see it more likely that WB would sell a Superman show to something like Netflix, for a sizable fee, or else put it on HBO Max--and having it on Max would help them build up their subscribers for that service.

Just do a Superman show, but a Superman show written by the best writers, produced by the best producers, directed by the best directors. Use the whole canvas of Superman's world. Maybe to give it structure, take ALL-STAR SUPERMAN as the guide. Use that series for the over-arching plot of the show. But a whole season could cover what happens in only one or two issues. Drill down into the characters and give more of their back story. Build out who Lois Lane is, what is Kandor, show more of Jimmy Olsen's fantastic transformations.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't think WB would have allowed this on the DC Universe service, because they would be giving one of their big money makers to an in-house site--and one that isn't making a lot of money itself. Of course, had DC Universe had a big Superman show, with the best special effects, then it might have brought in more subscribers. However, I see it more likely that WB would sell a Superman show to something like Netflix, for a sizable fee, or else put it on HBO Max--and having it on Max would help them build up their subscribers for that service.

Just do a Superman show, but a Superman show written by the best writers, produced by the best producers, directed by the best directors. Use the whole canvas of Superman's world. Maybe to give it structure, take ALL-STAR SUPERMAN as the guide. Use that series for the over-arching plot of the show. But a whole season could cover what happens in only one or two issues. Drill down into the characters and give more of their back story. Build out who Lois Lane is, what is Kandor, show more of Jimmy Olsen's fantastic transformations.
    HBO Max would be ideal. Looks like that is where Doom Patrol is heading for season 2.

I've long thought AMC would have been the perfect home for a SUPERMAN series, but only because I just couldn't see HBO having interest in a superhero show. With HBO Max I think it's the perfect time to try something like that.

A Superman show with the quality of Mad Men. I want Clark Kent to be even more fleshed out than Matt Murdock is in my mind.

It's possible that they could put one together for HBO Max, the DC Universe shows are going to be available on both apparently - Doom Patrol will premiere on both MAX & DCU. From the sound of it the model is going to be keep DC Universe around for all the comics and niche content, but put the TV and movies on both. I'm sure the subscription price for Max is going to be double or more DC Universe's $7.99.

I wouldn't want a Metropolis in the vein of Gotham either where all the lore is laid out before Superman shows up. Or a show where Lois is a Navy SEAL, Jimmy her trusty computer hacker, etc. a la the Arrowverse. Which is why I used The Wire as an example. Focus on the characters and not the spectacle or freaks of the week or the X-Files with Lois & Lex.

Intergang, an initially "visible" Invisible Mafia, etc. Lex should come in and appear to be on the up and up. Lois & Perry working the gang, corrupt police, and rampant crime stories, then championing Luthor reluctantly as the savior he pretends to be, with some initial suspicion and then outright hostility as they figure out who he really is. Start out with a solid and well meaning, idealistic political angle, before again showing Luthor's caustic influence on that as he buys his way into the city. Same with STAR Labs.

While all this is going on, seed in the background some stories of a "super man" that's helping out overseas or something. Have a young Clark work for a NGO akin to the early issues of Birthright, just a good guy who wants to help. Maybe have a reporter mentor figure for him like in Action 800, that leads to the him coming to Metropolis and the Planet. Keep him at lower power levels and just trying to help behind the scenes. Then gradually build into the Morrison Superman with the t-shirt and jeans. That is tailor made for TV budgets.

I know this will will never get made, but it's my dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    A Superman show with the quality of Mad Men. I want Clark Kent to be even more fleshed out than Matt Murdock is in my mind.
    I don't know if this is what you meant, but setting the above with a Morrison Superman in a 1930's Depression-era Metropolis would be AMAZING. You could tweak it a bit so it's got a little bit of 30's pulp sci-fi built in.

I'd be down for a Superman show....but only a proper Superman show. We've had the Superman-less origin show, we've got Supergirl and Krypton that don't have Superman in them at all (or maybe the occasional cameo or name drop at most), the only thing I'm interested in now is a Superman show that actually has Superman in it, being Superman.

Ideally, speaking just for myself, I'd adore a Golden Age show set in the 40's. A little bit Mad Men, a little bit Morrison Action, a little bit Fleischer, a little bit Tom DeHaven's "It's Superman!" novel. It could be amazing. And well within the budget limits of a television show (though it'd still have to have a really strong budget by tv standards).

Something vaguely akin to Tomasi's run could work too, and be seen as a kind of spiritual successor to Lois & Clark and Smallville; the heavy focus on Clark and his personal life would definitely appeal to people who prefer a more "regular guy" Superman.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I love IT'S SUPERMAN! and that alone would make a great basis for a film.

I think I'd want Superman in modern day though. I want to see him really delve into dealing with issues of our time. We really need something to get out in front and truly define Superman for a modern audience. Long form story would suit him a bit more, and you can really dig into the characters. A show akin to THE WIRE, where character is more important than anything. A show with real breathing characters, that just happens to also be SUPERMAN. None of the tired CW tropes.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

A Daily Planet show. Well into Superman's career. It focuses mostly on investigating crimes ala Law and Order or Chicago PD. only with the Planet staff. Superman shows up to bail them out of situations they can't handle on their own but for the most part, it's an investigative journalism show. Lois and Jimmy look into various crimes. Clark is on the police beat. More down to Earth villains like Toyman or Prankster. Less aliens. Luthor is a corrupt businessman selling arms to terrorists around the world or involved in the city's drug trade. Maggie Sawyer, Turpin, a mayor on the take. I haven't seen The Wire but I assume it's something like this. An "adult" Superman show.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I love IT'S SUPERMAN! and that alone would make a great basis for a film.

I think I'd want Superman in modern day though. I want to see him really delve into dealing with issues of our time. We really need something to get out in front and truly define Superman for a modern audience. Long form story would suit him a bit more, and you can really dig into the characters. A show akin to THE WIRE, where character is more important than anything. A show with real breathing characters, that just happens to also be SUPERMAN. None of the tired CW tropes.
    I too want to see Clark deal with contemporary issues.....which is actually one of the reasons I want a more Golden Age style narrative (with modern undertones of course) set in the 40's. That allows you to tackle issues like racism, sexism, corruption in government and business, etc., without being so on the nose about it.

I also think the period-piece setting would provide some wiggle room for a more socially conscious and involved Clark. People have a very firm idea of who and what Superman is, and it's a pretty narrow definition (generic) that the character himself has never really fit, or tried to fit. A period-piece is going to signal to people that this isn't "traditional" Superman the way they understand him, which means they'll be more likely to accept things (like sticking his nose into politics) that they wouldn't with "classic" Superman. Basically, I see it as a way to circumvent the "it's not like Donner/DCAU/pop culture Superman!" crap.

Like, in "It's Superman!" Clark smokes cigarettes. You could never get away with that in a story set in 2019 but it works fine for 1937. Not that I think Clark should smoke, but it's an example of how a period-piece can get away with things a current-day story can't and how it changes audiences' perceptions and expectations....which means we could get away from Donner without people bitching quite as much.
    Last edited by Ascended; 07-26-2019 at 09:58 AM.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.