• I like it!

16 28.07%
  • I don't like it!

23 40.35%
  • I'm undecided!

18 31.58%
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Why not? He is currently writing a comic so it's safe to say he's into them. He also made two, maybe three, Star wars films that I would actually watch again. If he steps up I say let him have it.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I have two seemingly different but fully compatible answers:

"I don't like it," and "yes, he's absolutely a good pick".

He tends to make movies that are a certain breed of dumb fun, but he does it very very well, and Superman desperately needs the public to think he's fun and cool, much more than he needs some auteur to come in with a bold new direction or highly specific but incredibly interesting take. We've had that. I liked that. It wasn't delightful, but I liked it. But Abrams is great at "delightful," so yeah, I absolutely think he's a good choice.
    Yeah, this is definitely where I’m at. Just make a good, fun, commercially and critically successful Superman movie. No auteur visions or deconstructions or commentary. Just Superman.

Coincidentally, the Endgame and Captain America writers, who definitely seem to get that, are interested as well:

The pair explained that they would love to give Superman the Steve Rogers treatment, believing the success of the Captain America movies shows that you don't have to "dirty [Superman] up" in an effort to create a compelling narrative for the character.
    https://www.cbr.com/avengers-endgame...an-movie-idea/
    Last edited by Yoda; 07-27-2019 at 07:10 AM.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I think Abrams would be fine, but I would put Miller and Lord on it!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    I think Abrams would be fine, but I would put Miller and Lord on it!
    They made the LEGO Batman movie didn’t they? I would totally love a Lego Superman movie.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

With good script by someone else, yeah he could make a really cool Superman flick. Perfect choice.

JJ needs to stick to the main lore though.. Don't try to reinvent it. That can't be too hard come on... the problem with the latest Superman movies is that they tried to complicate him too much. They supposedly wanted to make Clark/Superman more relatable, but for many it was the opposite, they turned him into someone unlikable and too whiny.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yeah, this is definitely where I’m at. Just make a good, fun, commercially and critically successful Superman movie. No auteur visions or deconstructions or commentary. Just Superman.

Coincidentally, the Endgame and Captain America writers, who definitely seem to get that, are interested as well:

https://www.cbr.com/avengers-endgame...an-movie-idea/
    If the guys behind Winter Solider and Civil War want a go at it, let them.

Hell, even First Avenger. It had good ideas and the director behind the greatest superhero flick ever, THE ROCKETEER- but the studio that didn't want a true WW2 superhero flick.

Lord and Miller did the Into the Spiderverse movie as well, and I think that movie did a nice job of dusting off the Spiderman concept at its' core. I think Superman needs that as well, so I would love to see a Superman movie that started off with everyone knowing everything from step one. SHAZAM, Aquaman, and Wonder Woman all work because they throw in the kitchen sink and Superman needs that as well. No more meditations on whatever, let's see Mxyzptlk and Calvin Ellis! Oh and Channing Tatum's Superman in the Lego movie is terrific!

Sure. Considering the live-action movies that have come out about Superman as part of the DCEU, I would not say no to a safe Donner riff. As long as it's good and entertaining and I think he would be capable of that.
    Last edited by KC; 07-27-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

I think Abrams would be a real great choice but I still want to see Mathew Vaughn or someone more frenetic. I think Miller and Lord should do a Superman/Multiversity story where Superman has to assemble the Supermen of the multiverse. They need to show the Wizard of Oz quality of the Superman universe.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

I say as long as JJ just doesn't make a veiled remake of the Donner films, and he has a good script to work from that doesn't retred the origin,Lex or anything covered in the Donner films or the Snyder films (i.e. no Origin, No Lex ,No Zod,No Kryptonite,No Doomsday ) then give him a shot.No need to reinvent the wheel. Just do a straight forward Superman story that puts him up against a villain we haven't seen him go up against on the big screen and start from there. I'd prefer they keep Cavill, but if not, pick a new actor and go at it.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

I feel like Lex is an important supporting character like Lois now, so I prefer to see him a bit or be referenced in the next film (and some of them if the story allows for it). He's the guy behind the scenes pulling the strings, and I'd love to see him working with Brainiac and trying to trick each other.

I think after how divisive Jesse Eisenberg Lex was (I liked him mostly), they need to do him full justice on film with the right portrayal.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 07-31-2019 at 08:39 AM.

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I feel like Lex is an important supporting character like Lois now, so I prefer to see him a bit or be referenced in the next film (and some of them if the story allows for it). He's the guy behind the scenes pulling the strings, and I'd love to see him working with Brainiac and trying to trick each other.

I think after how divisive Jesse Eisenberg Lex was (I liked him mostly), they need to do him full justice on film with the right portrayal.
    Oh I agree he should be referenced,but not as the main villian. All but two of the six Superman feature films (Superman III and BvS) used Lex as the main antagonist or one of the antagonists. By all means have him in the film in some fashion,but just don't have him as an ultimate big bad in a relaunch the first movie out,whether it's a complete or soft reboot.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

[QUOTE=manofsteel1979;4491631]Oh I agree he should be referenced,but not as the main villian. All but two of the six Superman feature films (Superman III and BvS)/QUOTE]

Guessing you mean MoS here?

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

If we're just talking about directing then yeah sure, I wouldn't mind seeing that at all. It's more likely he'd just act as producer for a Superman film with a director/writer he's cool with.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.