View Poll Results: JJ + Superman?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • I like it!

    16 28.07%
  • I don't like it!

    23 40.35%
  • I'm undecided!

    18 31.58%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 130
  1. #91
    Fantastic Member The_Lurk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Posts
    299

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    I'd like to see them reach way back in the archives and bring back the George Reeves version of Superman. Confident and a little cocky with that knowing smirk at all the antics of the foolish humans. And his Clark was nobody's fool.
    He was as good a journalist as he was a superhero. Donner's Superman was a little too naive and trusting and Cavil's Superman was too broken. Let Superman know who he is and like who he is.
    Have not seen it but sounds interesting. I'm convinced though Cavil could pull it off brilliantly

  2. #92
    All-New Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    1

    Default

    JJ Abrams??? Is this the same guy who destroyed the Star Wars franchise (and Star Trek on the big screen)?

    But whatever, Variety is a clickbait source, nothing has to be taken in serious from them.
    Maybe there were some talks with MBJ about the introduction of a possible new character (like steel or other "superman like" heroes), nothing more. But a black super man (with a black clark Kent), nah nobody would paid for this. It would be less costly for Warner Bros to burn all the production's money.

    Let's be clear. Super Man is a "dead franchise" now, and it will be the case for the next 10 years. WB has already solid independent ip to occupy the next decade : Pattinson/ Batman universe, WW universe, Aquaman universe, Shazam universe (with Black Adam upcoming) + dark DC stand alone (Luthor, Penguin, Riddler, etc...). Bop will be a flop (or an under performance) and it will sign the end of the actual DCEU (finally)

    And frankly, do we need Super Man today? I like him but he's an outdated character. And after the success of the Joker masterpiece, I won't dare to make a movie about a such bland character

  3. #93
    Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Planet Houston
    Posts
    5,113

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pansa View Post
    JJ Abrams??? Is this the same guy who destroyed the Star Wars franchise (and Star Trek on the big screen)?

    But whatever, Variety is a clickbait source, nothing has to be taken in serious from them.
    Maybe there were some talks with MBJ about the introduction of a possible new character (like steel or other "superman like" heroes), nothing more. But a black super man (with a black clark Kent), nah nobody would paid for this. It would be less costly for Warner Bros to burn all the production's money.

    Let's be clear. Super Man is a "dead franchise" now, and it will be the case for the next 10 years. WB has already solid independent ip to occupy the next decade : Pattinson/ Batman universe, WW universe, Aquaman universe, Shazam universe (with Black Adam upcoming) + dark DC stand alone (Luthor, Penguin, Riddler, etc...). Bop will be a flop (or an under performance) and it will sign the end of the actual DCEU (finally)

    And frankly, do we need Super Man today? I like him but he's an outdated character. And after the success of the Joker masterpiece, I won't dare to make a movie about a such bland character
    Id dispute the claim that Abrams "destroyed" either Star Wars or Star Trek. Star Trek was a dead franchise on television and the movies had flamed out with Star trek Nemesis in 2003. Both of Star Trek movies he directed were hits and his production company oversaw the revival of the franchise on television with Star Trek Discovery and the upcoming "Picard" series and a fourth Star Trek movie in the "Abrams" timeline is on its way.

    The Force Awakens was a hugely popular movie and made 2.5 billion dollars WITHOUT a boost from China which is no small feat. TLJ may have divided the fandom and Solo may have underperformed,but neither is because of Abrams. Rise of Skywalker will probably make a billion and be a general audience pleaser.

    Now,one may not like the direction he took both creatively, but both Franchises are healthier in terms of dollars earned and new content than they were before he was involved. Again,you may not personally care for it (I myself think the Star Trek movies he did were not that great and his Star Wars film was fun but too close to a remake for my tastes) but one can't honestly say either franchise are "dead" or destroyed. Both were pretty close to death by the mid to late 00s.

    While I also disagree that Superman is a bland character and out dated,I do agree that as far as films go it's likely going to be years,if not decades before we get another Solo Superman movie. There's really no incentive to do one given the state of their movie properties. It makes me sad as a fan,but I can't dispute the facts.
    Last edited by manofsteel1979; 11-30-2019 at 09:43 AM.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

  4. #94
    Fantastic Member Last Son's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    388

    Default

    I think Abrams could make a good Superman movie, but a lot of The Force Awakens' issues were with Disney wanting a "familiar" movie to start things off, which meant a mix of OT elements like the planet-sized WMD, a Darth Vader-like figure, and the hero coming from a desert planet. Plus I think Paramount wanted a Star Trek with mass appeal, so that meant more action and less introspection about the human condition or the physical world.

  5. #95
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Last Son View Post
    I think Abrams could make a good Superman movie, but a lot of The Force Awakens' issues were with Disney wanting a "familiar" movie to start things off, which meant a mix of OT elements like the planet-sized WMD, a Darth Vader-like figure, and the hero coming from a desert planet. Plus I think Paramount wanted a Star Trek with mass appeal, so that meant more action and less introspection about the human condition or the physical world.
    Really a good scriptwriter could help alleviate Abrams’ faults as a storyteller.

  6. #96
    Astonishing Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    2,606

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Really a good scriptwriter could help alleviate Abramsí faults as a storyteller.
    How are we gonna get that when most of Hollywood thinks superman is boring?
    George millar say "superman is potentially boring character, without any faults". They will try to 'fix' superman in wrong ways to the bitter end

    This preconceived notion of him being perfect is the problem. Yes, and many fans have frankly stupid aspirational expectations from the character. He is a vigilante who used to run from the police for crying out loud.
    I wish, he had the tintin-esque swagger back. A boy and his dog solving mysteries and helping people. No more, no less.


  7. #97
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    JJ needs to stick to the main lore though.. Don't try to reinvent it. That can't be too hard come on... the problem with the latest Superman movies is that they tried to complicate him too much. They supposedly wanted to make Clark/Superman more relatable, but for many it was the opposite, they turned him into someone unlikable and too whiny.
    I do not think that is Abrams's problem, Abrams problem is having movies be clones of previous movies. Star Trek Into Darkness is just a copy of Wrath of Khan and Star Wars The Force Awakens is just a copy of A New Hope.

    I do not need a Superman movie that is just a copy of the first or second Superman movie, Superman Returns felt too much like a Superman I remake for my tastes. At least have a villain who isn't Lex or Zod or make Lex competent this time.
    Last edited by The Overlord; 12-04-2019 at 09:48 PM.

  8. #98
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,489

    Default

    Anyone who is still on the fence about Abrams doing a Superman movie should probably check out the reactions to The Rise of Skywalker.

  9. #99
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,516

    Default

    If you want someone who will throw out everything Snyder did, Abrams sounds like your guy, so I still think he’s perfect. A lot of critics are TLJ fans which I thought was terrible so I’m not surprised they’re complaining about Rise. After Rian basically flipped the table and destroyed everything (kinda like Snyder did with his outing of Superman’s ID and killing him off in his second movie come to think of it) there was nowhere for a third movie to go honestly.

  10. #100
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If you want someone who will throw out everything Snyder did, Abrams sounds like your guy, so I still think he’s perfect. A lot of critics are TLJ fans which I thought was terrible so I’m not surprised they’re complaining about Rise. After Rian basically flipped the table and destroyed everything (kinda like Snyder did with his outing of Superman’s ID and killing him off in his second movie come to think of it) there was nowhere for a third movie to go honestly.
    He didn't do that.

    And if these critical reviews are any indication, even if you hated what Snyder did, it's no guarantee what Abrams does will be any better. And considering that TLJ was well received, him flipping the bird to everything Johnson did may not be a good idea, even if you didn't like TLJ yourself.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 12-18-2019 at 07:50 AM.

  11. #101
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    He didn't do that.

    And if these critical reviews are any indication, even if you hated what Snyder did, it's no guarantee what Abrams does will be any better. And considering that TLJ was well received, him flipping the bird to everything Johnson did may not be a good idea, even if you didn't like TLJ yourself.
    Honestly I’m shocked you aren’t excited for RoS. Terrio wrote it after all! Least if Abrams gets the job Terrio probably won’t be writing it given how RoS RT is going lol.

  12. #102
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Honestly I’m shocked you aren’t excited for RoS. Terrio wrote it after all! Least if Abrams gets the job Terrio probably won’t be writing it given how RoS RT is going lol.
    When did I ever say I was a Terrio fan?

  13. #103
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    When did I ever say I was a Terrio fan?
    You’re a Batman v. Superman fan are you not?

  14. #104
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,489

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You’re a Batman v. Superman fan are you not?
    Yeah. It doesn't mean I've liked everything he's been involved with.

  15. #105
    Astonishing Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    3,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Yeah. It doesn't mean I've liked everything he's been involved with.
    I only know him from Argo and BvS so I have no clue what else he’s done. He certainly isn’t winning me over with his last two big films though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •