Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

We'll probably see how Xavier's actions and humanity's reactions in the past have led to this horrible future... but one that won't be undone with time travel. I'm annoyed we're getting yet another extinction plot coupled with yet another dystopian future. Hopefully a good precognitive [Destiny? Is that you, girl?!] can make sure it never comes to pass, thus making time travel unnecessary to avoid it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RachelGrey View Post
    OOH, that gives me a thought, I wonder if Mystique is totally on board with Krakoa because it gives her Destiny back. Perhaps a younger Destiny too.
    Is Destiny pictured on the rotating X-Men roster?

It'd be good for Mystique to get her back. Her character was better when she was with Destiny. after they killed Irene off, mystique spiraled down to the cackling psycho she's become now.

And I am curious on that scene that showed them together.

As beautiful as the art & colors are here, this is already a favorite panel.

But I think it's wishful thinking that Destiny or Synch will come back. But we'll see how far Hickman will go shaking things up.

Quote Originally Posted by PrezValentine View Post
    There's no time travel involved, Powers of X will apparentely only alternate between the present and the future that will unfold, should the actions of Xavier, Sinister and possibly Moira keep going without anything preventing the bad outcomes.
    Exactly.

Put in strictly "Preacher" terms...

- That we get to see part of Jesse's childhood does not mean there was time travel.
    - That we get to see Jesse's folks meet does not mean there was time travel.
    - That get to see Cassidy and his brother during the early part of the century does not mean there was time travel.

If someone said, Preacher is not a "Time Travel..." story, they have made a completely true statement.

Spectacular Member

Power of X takes place in the FUTURE! It's EVIDENT: the new sentinels were not activated in HoX#1 so how do you explain they are already effective on PoX#1???
    IMO, the X-Men slept all this time in cocoons by Krakoa. As we saw in HoX#1 they are reborn in new bodies, so where are they old original bodies? Maybe it's a big time jump 20-30 years set in the future where mutants are the DOMINANT species and the humans the minority. This is the feeling I had after reading HoX#1 and Hickman wrote it the book itself!

I don't think there's going to be time travel. He will probably show what is going to happen in the future with some time skips, like he did before Secret Wars when all his comics jumped some months forward.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I assume the idea is to show the present day in HOX and the future in POX, with each issue revealing how we got to a certain point in the future. And then, and I'm speculating just from what we've seen in previews, since that future doesn't look great, the story might become about how to avoid making certain choices that lead to what we'll see in POX. Could this be how Destiny is involved perhaps?

Dancing in the Shadows Indigo_Lady's Avatar

I was exited for this mini because of the new characters, but I'm getting tired of dystopian futures involving the Sentinels. I had hoped Hickman would have more creative ideas than the same old same old.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    I was exited for this mini because of the new characters, but I'm getting tired of dystopian futures involving the Sentinels. I had hoped Hickman would have more creative ideas than the same old same old.
    Hickman mentioned that the way he was working, things would appear to be the same while he is actually doing something different.

Something to that effect during the last con about new stuff that can seem like the old.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Just going to post this here too because i'm super convinced.

Looking at the preview of Powers of X i don't think any of the character in Powers of X are new characters i think they are mutants that have merged either permanently or temporarily. On the page that speaks of omega mutants it said that the potential exists for mutant collective to be more powerful than even omega. Perhaps some mutants merge and give themselves new names when they are one. It would also connect to what their creed is. "One People. One Tribe. One Family." So in a sense the ultimate form of intimacy for them would be becoming one. That would also make sense with Powers of X. If you have one mutant you have this, if you combine 2 mutants you get that, combine 3 and so on.
    Does Hickman watch Steven Universe?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by fridric View Post
    Power of X takes place in the FUTURE! It's EVIDENT: the new sentinels were not activated in HoX#1 so how do you explain they are already effective on PoX#1???
    IMO, the X-Men slept all this time in cocoons by Krakoa. As we saw in HoX#1 they are reborn in new bodies, so where are they old original bodies? Maybe it's a big time jump 20-30 years set in the future where mutants are the DOMINANT species and the humans the minority. This is the feeling I had after reading HoX#1 and Hickman wrote it the book itself!
    PoX takes place 100 years in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Indigo_Lady View Post
    I can understand the apprehension but this is exactly what Hickman was going for he stated in his SDCC interview that he wanted to get the X-Men out of this rut they've fallen into over the past 20-25 years but he didn't want to start throwing new and radical ideas out there so he found a way to tell new stories that still feel classic.

The whole mutant nation, dystopian future, and killer Sentinels are a part of that.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    Just going to post this here too because i'm super convinced.

Looking at the preview of Powers of X i don't think any of the character in Powers of X are new characters i think they are mutants that have merged either permanently or temporarily. On the page that speaks of omega mutants it said that the potential exists for mutant collective to be more powerful than even omega. Perhaps some mutants merge and give themselves new names when they are one. It would also connect to what their creed is. "One People. One Tribe. One Family." So in a sense the ultimate form of intimacy for them would be becoming one. That would also make sense with Powers of X. If you have one mutant you have this, if you combine 2 mutants you get that, combine 3 and so on.
    But isn't this pretty much exactly what Jordan White said they weren't here?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan White
    I will say, they are not “Infinity Warps” style mash-ups, as some people had theorized.
    (the link above doesn't seem to be working, but the google cache is still there here.)
    Last edited by ISnowNothin; 07-27-2019 at 10:08 AM.

Hickman was only referring to HoX and PoX when he said he wouldn’t use time travel, right?

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Hickman was only referring to HoX and PoX when he said he wouldn’t use time travel, right?
    Really great question! Nothing else had been announced when he said that, so it doesn't really seem reasonable or logical to assume that the statements he made about or in response to questions about Hox and PoX extend to the wave of series following them.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hizashi View Post
    Pretty sure. Hickman is a sci fi writer at heart and he loves using time travel in some capacity to tell a wacky story.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    Is Destiny pictured on the rotating X-Men roster?

It'd be good for Mystique to get her back. Her character was better when she was with Destiny. after they killed Irene off, mystique spiraled down to the cackling psycho she's become now.

And I am curious on that scene that showed them together.

As beautiful as the art & colors are here, this is already a favorite panel.

But I think it's wishful thinking that Destiny or Synch will come back. But we'll see how far Hickman will go shaking things up.
    Destiny isn't shown in the rotating cast graphic from Comic-Con with 76 characters represented, but a few characters that seem like they might still be around, and one that's on Excalibur (Apocalypse) weren't included, so who know's how complete it is?

Also, where is that Mystique/Destiny art from?