Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

I think what is missing from mutant history in the MU is the legal victories.

Let's have a mutant who is attacked for no reason but being a mutant by a group of humans. He uses lethal force to defend himself. And is put on trial. Texas self defense law (and other places) has this thing called disparity of force. Basically saying that if you are faced with multiple attackers who do not have weapons you cannot be reasonably expected to defend yourself with just your hands. Under the law the mutant is legally justified to use lethal force. Wins the case and sets legal precedent.

Another case could be a mutant attacked by the government by mistake. The FBI is tracking mutant bank robbers and catches up with them and uses Sentinels to apprehend them. However the Sentinels scan this other mutant a few blocks away and attacks him. Mutant destroys Sentinels and maybe seriously harms human agents....but is proven legally justified during the investigation and brings a civil rights lawsuit against the government and wins.
    Last edited by Chris0013; 07-27-2019 at 02:07 PM.

One more comment regarding the original post. Sometime in the 80s all kind of characters were said to actually be mutants. Claremont even suggested that Bruce Banner was a mutant, and that high IQ was his mutant Power. John Byrne made a parody out of it by claiming Razorback was a mutant too, having the ability to operate any vehicle
    he encountered.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I think what is missing from mutant history in the MU is the legal victories.

Let's have a mutant who is attacked for no reason but being a mutant by a group of humans. He uses lethal force to defend himself. And is put on trial. Texas self defense law (and other places) has this thing called disparity of force. Basically saying that if you are faced with multiple attackers who do not have weapons you cannot be reasonably expected to defend yourself with just your hands. Under the law the mutant is legally justified to use lethal force. Wins the case and sets legal precedent.

Another case could be a mutant attacked by the government by mistake. The FBI is tracking mutant bank robbers and catches up with them and uses Sentinels to apprehend them. However the Sentinels scan this other mutant a few blocks away and attacks him. Mutant destroys Sentinels and maybe seriously harms human agents....but is proven legally justified during the investigation and brings a civil rights lawsuit against the government and wins.
    Yeah, there has been a lot of violence against mutants in the Marvel universe, but it doesn't seem it has ever had any consequences for the attackers, even when the mutants are killed.

Quote Originally Posted by Banner View Post

Yeah, there has been a lot of violence against mutants in the Marvel universe, but it doesn't seem it has ever had any consequences for the attackers, even when the mutants are killed.
    annd you're saying that this is too real..orrr... unrealistic...??

Quote Originally Posted by BroHomo View Post
    annd you're saying that this is too real..orrr... unrealistic...??
    I'm not saying anything regarding realism. Just stating a fact in my reply to the previous post.

The X-Men have seemingly 'evolved' into the Brotherhood, and has been for years.

HoX was a Brotherhood book, the X-Men barely appeared and voiced and when they did they were sinister!

I'm all for a Brotherhood book, I've wanted it for years, but don't force the X-Men into it. I also think a lot of posters on these forums seem to want the X-Men to align with the old Brotherhood motivations and tactics.

But the Brotherhood has an interesting cast of characters to play with, as is.

Excuse my off on a tangent post, I'm responding to the thread title, rather than how mutants and the attitude towards their evolution have evolved within the Marvel Universe, which is what the OP is defining.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Chris0013 View Post
    I miss when they did not portray all humans as anti-mutant back in the high 100s thru the 200s. There was a balance. Sure Xavier got jumped by anti-mutant students after giving a lecture. But you also had Rogue save a window washer who stood up to some snobby anti-mutant guy right afterward. Just my humble $0.02 worth....but Marvel needs to take the status quo back to that. 10-15% of the population are total anti-mutant. Anther 10-15% are pro-mutant. And the rest are a toss up.
    To me, whenever members of the Mutant race will debut in the Marvel Cinematic Universe, this balance is to be depicted in live action in the cinema and/or Disney+ series.