View Poll Results: Most important civilian human Batverse character ever?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Jim Gordon

30 45.45%
  • Alfred Pennyworth

34 51.52%
  • Someone else (please specify)

2 3.03%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Jim Gordon vs Alfred Pennyworth

Which one gets the title of

Most Important Civilian Human Character in the 80 Year History of the Batverse

and why?

Civilian = no superhuman abilities and no alter ego

(Poll forthcoming)

My take:

Alfred is indispensable to Bruce Wayne.

Batman can't survive in Gotham without Jim Gordon.

Gordon has continuous YODO (Year One Day One) status since Detective Comics #27 in 1939.

He wins the title, imo.

Martha and Thomas Wayne.

Without them, there is no "I am the Vengeance!"

I wanted to give it to Alfred, but going back to the older comics Gordon was far more essential in those stories than Alfred was. I feel like Alfred's importance grew as the years went by.

Astonishing Member

Today, they're both equally important IMO. But historically, Gordon has been far more important.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

80 years means Gordon. He's been there from the first panel. On topic, he's a crucial help from the legal side, uprooting GCPD corruption, providing info on crime, letting Batfam do their job, pretending not knowing their identity and withstanding heart attack every time Batman appear suddenly

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I originally went with Jim Gordon, but what a question! I love that one Morrison moment, where Jim Gordon asks Batman why he chose an indestructible and immortal enemy to fight against and Batman answers, same reason you did, I thought I could take him! Then I chose Alfred because Michael Caine and young Bruce were so perfect together in the Nolan films. So yeah Alfred, especially when they say he was some sort of theater nerd and super spy back in the day. Isn't that Batman in the end?

Easy for me. For me, the most compelling creation in the Batman mythos is the city of Gotham, and Gordon has been integral to that from the beginning.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Batman and the Commissioner have to earn each other's respect to work together, and sometimes they are against each other depending on circumstances. There is no such dynamic with Alfred, he's practically Bruce's dad.

Gordon has the slight edge

Amazing Member

Alfred for me he is Batman mentor

Quote Originally Posted by JediBatman54 View Post
    Alfred for me he is Batman mentor
    And yet, Batman was created well before Alfred was.

Extraordinary Member

They both some of the most important non vigilantes we have in the history of comics.

I can’t count Lois since she is Superman’s partner but Jimmy Olsen is not very important since Clark is Superman more then full time.

I can’t name to many others.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I love Alfred and I think editorial allowing him to be killed was one of the dumbest things they've ever done...but in terms of characters, Jim Gordon is so fleshed out and interesting that he could be the star of his own book if DC wanted(and he has had a share of mini-series as well as back ups and issues that focused primarily on him) where as I don't think the same could be said of Alfred.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I love Alfred and I think editorial allowing him to be killed was one of the dumbest things they've ever done...but in terms of characters, Jim Gordon is so fleshed out and interesting that he could be the star of his own book if DC wanted(and he has had a share of mini-series as well as back ups and issues that focused primarily on him) where as I don't think the same could be said of Alfred.
    But Alfred has had solo back-up features before, starting in Batman #22 (April-May 1944).