Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Can a more fun lighthearted live action Batman Movie work?

Do you think a more fun and comedic live action Batman movie would work in these times?
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 09-23-2023 at 01:30 AM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Do you think a more fun and comedic Batman movie would work in these times?
    The Lego Batman movie made some 300 million dollars, so there is some market for it.

We're probably going to find out pretty soon I think - Brave and the Bold will probably be much more lighthearted to distance itself from The Batman. But yeah, I think so. Basically just make an MCU styled movie but with Batman, boom instant gold mine.

Astonishing Member

A little bit more fun? Yeah, I think it can. Comedic? Very unlikely.
    Mass audience perceives Batman through the prism of Burton, Nolan, Reeves, the Arkham games and even Snyder. It will be extremely hard to make a more comedic and lighthearted Batman work.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Do you think a more fun and comedic live action Batman movie would work in these times?
    Possibly and it's something Gunn's the Brave and The Bold film should try out.

I don't see why not, honestly. We might be accustomed to a more grim and serious Batman, but everyone still fondly remembers Adam West, the Brave & the Bold cartoon was popular...I think it's viable. And it'd be a good way to offer something different from Battison.

I don't know about a full blown camp Batman though. I don't think we need to go all-in on it and repeat the glory days of West. But I think audiences could roll with a Batman that doesn't take itself as seriously as Nolan/Reeve, if it were presented to them the right way.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I don't see why it can't. It's just a matter of good direction/writing/execution.

Astonishing Member

If you mean a full-blown modern take on Adam West, then probably not...though that take can succeed in animation and comics, as the past decade or so has shown.

But if you're talking something more 'fun' and 'light-hearted' than Nolan or Reeves, then yeah, I think that's pretty do-able. And its possible that that's precisely what we'll get with Brave and the Bold, which will be based off Morrison's Batman work. At bare minimum, we're going to need a more classically heroic and compassionate Batman to contrast with Damian

I actually think the opening scene of the Flash is a potential reference point for how a relatively more light-hearted Batman could work (and since Andy Muschetti is directing BatB, I think its fair to say that its a solid reference). We get Batfleck in a suit with a (dark) blue cape and cowl, all teched out, and operating in broad daylight as a superhero. I wouldn't be surprised if we get more of that with the next iteration of on-screen Batman. Its almost like an MCU take on Batman, albeit still retaining the core seriousness of the character.

the trick is not to make it slapstick.

Batman and Robin, that level of cheese worked.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't see why it can't. It's just a matter of good direction/writing/execution.
    Plus maybe good marketing as well, and possibly good foresight as to how much budget it would need.

For instance, I can think of different “action rom-coms” you could do with Bat-characters, but some of my ideas would require big budgets, and others wouldn’t.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Plus maybe good marketing as well, and possibly good foresight as to how much budget it would need.

For instance, I can think of different “action rom-coms” you could do with Bat-characters, but some of my ideas would require big budgets, and others wouldn’t.
    I mean, Nightwing in an action/rom-com is basically most of his history. Red Hood in a dark comedy works well too. Tim (whatever the hell he's called) in a spy film wouldn't be bad. Damian was already in Super Sons which was well received by all who watched it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I mean, Nightwing in an action/rom-com is basically most of his history. Red Hood in a dark comedy works well too. Tim (whatever the hell he's called) in a spy film wouldn't be bad. Damian was already in Super Sons which was well received by all who watched it.
    Batgirl for the ladies.

Batgirl for the ladies.
    Babs, Cass, Steph?

Extraordinary Member

Batgirl for the ladies.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Babs, Cass, Steph?
    Cass and Steph go on a road trip superhero adventure, with major BFF energy, while Babs tries to track them down because a bigger threat than they expect is following them. Steph makes the jokes and asks the questions, Cass kicks ass and gets the answers, and Babs switches between Mama Bear and mildly overworked babysitter. Guest Starring Lady Shiva and Cluemaster as an incredibly scary mother with a really complex relationship to her daughter and the utter loser providing tech support for her. Bad guy? Calculator... but he's employing David Cain.

Hijinks ensue.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Babs, Cass, Steph?
    I mean, all three of them? Though I guess Babs and Steph play into what one would assume is a more conventional female audience.