• ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Brilliant. A classic WW tale

1 3.70%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Very good and true to WW

5 18.52%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️ Solid Wonder Woman story.

5 18.52%
  • ⭐️⭐️ Below average WW story - some worthy bits

9 33.33%
  • ⭐️ Ugh. I felt WW and I both got ripped off.

7 25.93%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    But there's some sloppy continuity here. Diana says she hasn't been home in half a century, and that is just straight up wrong. She's been gone around a decade at most. Grail also hasn't been imprisoned for "decades," just like a few months lol. Unless time passes by differently in Ares's prison. What is going on here? Because Steve, Etta and Barbara are part of her origin, and they haven't been around for 50 or so years.
    If we take it from now, 50 years gets us to 1969, right in the mod-era Diana. Maybe it's a reference to that?

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Speaking of the battle strategy, I was confused about why they didn’t open with Antlantiades if their power is do overwhelming.
    One possibility is that Diana knew she needed to get Grail away from the corrupted Amazons for Atlantiades to be able to do their thing successfully. But if that was the reason, it sure wasn't apparent on the page.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I'm glad Nubia is back and Diana is reconnected with Paradise. It feels like we're constantly getting some pieces in place for a grander story, but it never amounts to becoming that grander story. ::shrugs shoulders::
    In a way, the pacing of this arc feels a bit off. The setup (Xermanico's opening) was great, but the battle was muddled and there were elements of the resolution that felt unbuilt.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I like Atlantiades and hope they decide to reside in Paradise, but I'm not feeling Maggie as a character in any particular way. She's not bad, she's just seems like a plot point so far with the sword.

I'm looking forward to Cheetah doing her thing in the happy hunting grounds of Themyscira and hope it gives us the opportunity to interact with more individual Amazons of importance - Phillippus, Mala, Nubia, Io, etc.
    I liked Maggie more when she was more Etta than Etta, back when we first met her and in the Rockies. After she got the sword, she lost that romantic and positive personality.

And yes, more Amazons, perhaps especially getting into Diana's and Kasia's relation.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't think Antiope has anything to with the Bana anymore. According to the Orlando issue, they were a faction that left the island and I think Atalanta went with them. I have to do a re-read at some point
    I need to reread some issues too. I have read all the issues and yet nothing is standing out in my memory about her or the Banas. I didn't read the Red Hood, Bizarro, and Artemis title, so maybe more details were shared there?

Quote Originally Posted by JackBNimble View Post
    Oooh, it would be great to see Exoristos again. And, perhaps, finally find out what her mysterious past was all about. And who she actually was by name.
    I would definitely bring Exoristos back if I ever got my hands on the book.

Incredible Member

I just got around to reading this. For many of the reasons mentioned, I was disappointed. After the last issue, I was excited for this finale, but it's just so uneven & oddly compressed. There's technically a lot happening, but none of it feels truly dangerous, menacing, or tense, and I think this is partly the fault of the script and partly the fault of having three different artists (with Cifuentes being the weakest).

Some things I didn't care for: Except for the splash page, there's never really a feel of hundreds of people fighting each other; I don't know if this is the art or the script. Also, while the idea of Diana wanting to "fight a fair fight" rings somewhat true, that moment is so ridiculous. In this "fair fight," some of her sisters are going to DIE. She doesn't have to kill Grail when she's holding her by the neck, but she could easily have knocked her out. I also think that Grail, at this point, has lost her appeal as a villain to me. She's so less than powerful here that I don't understand how she defeated Hippolyte, much less why half the island is following her. The pacing of the whole scene with Izzy is awkward, also. I almost wonder if this should have been two issues?

Some things I liked: Even at the caves, Diana is still trying to persuade Grail to give up. Also, when Atlandiades unleashes their love power, they look like Diana - was this on purpose, I wonder? I also love the moment of Diana flinging Maggie into the air to break the veil. It seems tremendously cool and fun. I guess I'm glad that Nubia's back, but if she's going to be back, I really hope Wilson develops her because she's always been such an under-developed character.

I gave this two stars mostly because of the degree of disappointment I felt in this issue - the last few issues, it seemed Wilson was really hitting her stride in pacing and seemed surer of Diana's voice. Now that I've voted, I wish I'd leaned into a 3 instead of a 2, rounding up from a 2.5. It just feels like this was supposed to be an "event" issue yet it had a strong aftertaste of the lipsynch between Nina West and Dr. Silky Nutmeg Ganache: "meh."
    Last edited by Frank; 08-13-2019 at 05:05 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Looking at the votes and adjusting where folks have requested, the current average for this issue is 2.5 out of 5.

Basically a C-.
    Last edited by brettc1; 08-13-2019 at 02:39 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor