View Poll Results: Your rating for #75

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Brilliant. A classic WW tale

    1 4.00%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ Very good and true to WW

    5 20.00%
  • ⭐️⭐️⭐️ Solid Wonder Woman story.

    5 20.00%
  • ⭐️⭐️ Below average WW story - some worthy bits

    9 36.00%
  • ⭐️ Ugh. I felt WW and I both got ripped off.

    5 20.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 35
  1. #16
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Those videos made me wonder about proper pronunciation, how does everyone say "Antiope"? In Perez run as a kid I called her Anti-ope but now I say Antio-pea which do you think is correct, if either?

    Comic Boom had great points about Amazons training and why they shouldn't need it. As for Grail's "charm" I can see her swaying a few bored Amazons but not half of them without a new power. Omega Beams are better.

    The provenance of the God Killer sword continues to be a mystery for me but the way Luthor obtained it was clever.

  2. #17
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,897

    Default

    2.5 out of 5 stars, about average. A drastic drop in quality from the last issue which was top notch, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  3. #18
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    2.5 out of 5 stars, about average. A drastic drop in quality from the last issue which was top notch, IMO.
    And yet on the poll you gave it 4 stars?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  4. #19
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Those videos made me wonder about proper pronunciation, how does everyone say "Antiope"? In Perez run as a kid I called her Anti-ope but now I say Antio-pea which do you think is correct, if either?

    Comic Boom had great points about Amazons training and why they shouldn't need it. As for Grail's "charm" I can see her swaying a few bored Amazons but not half of them without a new power. Omega Beams are better.

    The provenance of the God Killer sword continues to be a mystery for me but the way Luthor obtained it was clever.
    The correct Greek pronunciation would be An-tie-o-pay, as in the movie. Four syllables.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  5. #20
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    And yet on the poll you gave it 4 stars?
    I misvoted. I'm drunk so I've made a few mistakes and errant posts tonight lol.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  6. #21
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,253

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    The correct Greek pronunciation would be An-tie-o-pay, as in the movie. Four syllables.
    Okay that's how I was doing it. Now if people would stop saying "Hippo-Lighta" like she's a less heavy hippo I'd be happy.

  7. #22
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    I misvoted. I'm drunk so I've made a few mistakes and errant posts tonight lol.
    On the plus side, drunk is probably the best way to read this issue

    Speaking of, when Diana said she was going give Grail a fair fight I thought it was going to be single combat. That would be the best way to avoid mass bloodshed, right? And could Grail really refuse without losing face? Her whole claim to the throne is Hippolyta wasn’t strong enough to hold onto it.

    Mind you, the idea that half the Amazons would endorse Hippolyta being put to death in favour of Grail is just BAD. In its depiction of the Amazons it is approaching Azarello levels of bad, frankly.

    I think the takeaway here is that when it comes to rendering Wonder Woman’s people, any book that has the words AMAZONS ATTACK on the cover is inescapably cursed.
    Last edited by brettc1; 07-27-2019 at 08:11 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

  8. #23
    Extraordinary Member Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    5,897

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    On the plus side, drunk is probably the best way to read this issue
    No doubt about that, friend.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  9. #24
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,030

    Default

    It was an okay read, but far from perfect given the plot issues others have commented on.

    I'm glad Nubia is back and Diana is reconnected with Paradise. It feels like we're constantly getting some pieces in place for a grander story, but it never amounts to becoming that grander story. ::shrugs shoulders::

    I chuckled at Hippolyta's comment of "Diana, my only daughter!" because the more we forget about Jason the better. (Especially considering the last time Hippolyta saw him.)

    I like Atlantiades and hope they decide to reside in Paradise, but I'm not feeling Maggie as a character in any particular way. She's not bad, she's just seems like a plot point so far with the sword.

    Also, what's up with all the Wonder swords? We've got the one Diana initially showed up with in her new origin - the sword of Hephaestus, I believe - and we've got Antiope's sword and the God Killer sword too.

    Loved GWW's use of Simone's kill/wound/subdue line. Always one of favorite POVs in the Amazon philosophy.

    I'd love it if Grail became the first "visitor" to Transformation Island and we finally start to dig into this mental healthcare concept and facility in the modern Wonder Woman continuity. (It's such a better idea and concept than Sanctuary could ever hope to be.)

    I'm looking forward to Cheetah doing her thing in the happy hunting grounds of Themyscira and hope it gives us the opportunity to interact with more individual Amazons of importance - Phillippus, Mala, Nubia, Io, etc.

  10. #25
    Relic Seeker Pinsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Ravnica
    Posts
    3,782

    Default

    This is the first true Wonder Woman run to happen since the movie, which is why Antiope is suddenly reintroduced and the god-killing sword is suddenly a thing. Even though, in the movie, the God-Killing sword wasn't really the sword...I'm betting this stuff was probably mandated.
    Want to read Wonder Woman stories, but don't know where to start? Check out my top 10 lists for Golden Age, Silver Age, Bronze Age and Modern Age Wonder Woman tales!

    I don't dislike the MCU films because they're Marvel branded, I dislike them because they're bad films.

  11. #26
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,030

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    This is the first true Wonder Woman run to happen since the movie, which is why Antiope is suddenly reintroduced and the god-killing sword is suddenly a thing. Even though, in the movie, the God-Killing sword wasn't really the sword...I'm betting this stuff was probably mandated.
    Yeah, I’m confused about Antiope being back. Did she ever leave and found the Banas? Did she come back? Is she immortal regardless of where she goes?

    Unrelated/related: Will we ever see Exoristos again? (I'd like to!)
    Last edited by WonderScott; 07-30-2019 at 06:46 AM.

  12. #27
    Extraordinary Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,026

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Yeah, I’m confused about Antiope being back. Did she ever leave and found the Banas? Did she come back? Is she immortal regardless of where she goes?

    Unrelated/related: Will we ever see Exoristos again? (Is like to!)
    I don't think Antiope has anything to with the Bana anymore. According to the Orlando issue, they were a faction that left the island and I think Atalanta went with them. I have to do a re-read at some point

  13. #28
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    New York City/San Francisco/Singapore
    Posts
    157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Yeah, I’m confused about Antiope being back. Did she ever leave and found the Banas? Did she come back? Is she immortal regardless of where she goes?

    Unrelated/related: Will we ever see Exoristos again? (Is like to!)

    Oooh, it would be great to see Exoristos again. And, perhaps, finally find out what her mysterious past was all about. And who she actually was by name.

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    2,888

    Default

    Tricky issue, and I think it shows how hard it is to properly stick the landing on any high-stakes story, especially if it's been eagerly anticipated. In a way, I think it shows the problems of having a story which is subordinated to goals of the plot.

    There are lots of nice little touches in the early story. The reunion between Diana and the Amazons was handled beautifully, especially given limited room it could be given. Both the party, the training montage, and the conversation between Antiope, Diana, and Atlantiades were all extremely well done by the creative team. The reunion party reminded me of Hal Foster at his best.

    And that page of Xermanico's with the Diana and the Amazons above the beach is just glorious.

    I'm less sold on the battle itself. Despite the great buildup, the action feels lacking in emotion and tension. I'm not sure it's Wilson's scripts or Merino's art or a combination, but it feels more like a collection of stuff happening rather than a coherent whole. And the final confrontation between Grail and Diana felt like it lacked gravitas, and Nubia's turning against Grail felt like it hadn't been earned.

    And the coda with Lex Luthor leading Cheetah to the Godkiller, which somehow ended up in the Amazonas, just felt added-on and stinking of editorial meddling.

    I also have lots of minor quibbles.

    The cover. Where is Diana's left knee? It looks like her leg was amputated at the thigh.

    Godkiller design. Nord had a rather simple, straight sword as the God-killer. I'm not sure who came up with this humongous, unwieldable, and elaborate cleaver we see here, but note that the design of the crossguard is inconsistent throughout the issue.

    The grunts are back in full force. I wish Wilson could skip them.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  15. #30
    Extraordinary Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    7,323

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Tricky issue, and I think it shows how hard it is to properly stick the landing on any high-stakes story, especially if it's been eagerly anticipated. In a way, I think it shows the problems of having a story which is subordinated to goals of the plot.

    There are lots of nice little touches in the early story. The reunion between Diana and the Amazons was handled beautifully, especially given limited room it could be given. Both the party, the training montage, and the conversation between Antiope, Diana, and Atlantiades were all extremely well done by the creative team. The reunion party reminded me of Hal Foster at his best.

    And that page of Xermanico's with the Diana and the Amazons above the beach is just glorious.

    I'm less sold on the battle itself. Despite the great buildup, the action feels lacking in emotion and tension. I'm not sure it's Wilson's scripts or Merino's art or a combination, but it feels more like a collection of stuff happening rather than a coherent whole. And the final confrontation between Grail and Diana felt like it lacked gravitas, and Nubia's turning against Grail felt like it hadn't been earned.

    And the coda with Lex Luthor leading Cheetah to the Godkiller, which somehow ended up in the Amazonas, just felt added-on and stinking of editorial meddling.

    I also have lots of minor quibbles.

    The cover. Where is Diana's left knee? It looks like her leg was amputated at the thigh.

    Godkiller design. Nord had a rather simple, straight sword as the God-killer. I'm not sure who came up with this humongous, unwieldable, and elaborate cleaver we see here, but note that the design of the crossguard is inconsistent throughout the issue.

    The grunts are back in full force. I wish Wilson could skip them.
    The point about sticking the landing is well taken. I know we have less than 20 votes cast, but 50 percent of them rating the issue as poor or bad is not what you want in the last chapter of a arc.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

    “The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •