Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default J Jonah Jameson Is Spiderman's biggest villain...

I dont know where all the love for JJ comes from. I have heard some people call him an honest journalist who fights hard for the truth. Nothing could be further from the truth. He has been responsible for two Spiderman villains The Scorpion and The Human Fly both of whom have body counts. And how honest is he when he publishes so many false stories about Spiderman? TUrning the public against Spiderman more then anyone else has. I just dont see why he gets so much love and respect from readers. And in the frist Superior Spiderman series he tells Spiderman he wants him to kill Smythe. Is that something a morally upstanding person would do? I just dont see all the love and respect for this guy.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Jonah is Peter's older brother, which means he already meets half of the requirements for primary anime rival/main antagonist outside of his actions. He likes money, as in millions of dollars. Like Knives Millions. His butchering of Spider-Man's reputation is similar to the butchering of the Uchiha clan. And he has sick facial hair, like Scar from Osamu Tezuka's seminal masterwork, the Lion King.

I submit all this evidence to prove one thing. At some point in the future, Jonah will gain the powers of a spider's greatest enemy, a banded archer fish, and battle Peter for the final time on top of the Bugle building. To the death.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I dont know where all the love for JJ comes from. I have heard some people call him an honest journalist who fights hard for the truth. Nothing could be further from the truth. He has been responsible for two Spiderman villains The Scorpion and The Human Fly both of whom have body counts. And how honest is he when he publishes so many false stories about Spiderman? TUrning the public against Spiderman more then anyone else has. I just dont see why he gets so much love and respect from readers. And in the frist Superior Spiderman series he tells Spiderman he wants him to kill Smythe. Is that something a morally upstanding person would do? I just dont see all the love and respect for this guy.
    He gets love and respect because beyond his anti-Spider-Man bias and his penchant for grandiosity and egotism, he really is, or at least tries to be, an ethical journalist and genuinely cares about the people in his employ, even if he's always yelling at them about something. He might spin the truth to paint Spider-Man in a bad light, but that's mostly editorializing and he has printed plenty of retractions when he's turned out to be conclusively wrong (or at least, in his mind, wrong "this time"), not to mention that he does not tolerate people in his employ knowingly distorting the truth, because then that's another retraction he has to print, along with publicly condemning the journalist who did that. He has also in the past stood up for civil and human rights, even the rights of mutants during a time when they were being targeted even worse than usual by a US government initiative called Operation: Zero Tolerance, for which he refused to become a propagandist despite the implicit (or maybe explicit) threats to his life and the lives of his family and staff. Oh, and if you're gonna bring up the Scorpion and the Human Fly, don't forget about Spencer Smythe, who got his start in villainy from Jameson hiring him to build robots specifically to hunt and capture Spider-Man, although Spencer was the one who escalated it to killing Spider-Man rather than capturing him, much to Jameson's horror.

Also, I would recommend checking out the recent Spider-Man comics, beginning with Peter Parker: The Spectacular Spider-Man #6 by Chip Zdarsky, where Jonah has something of an emotional breakdown in front of Spider-Man and admits that after all he's lost, hating Spider-Man is the only thing that keeps him going anymore, and Peter, out of sympathy, unmasks in front of him. Since then, Jonah has been Spider-Man's staunchest champion in the media, even if he doesn't have the stature that he once did when he was constantly Spider-bashing, and he has genuinely tried to redeem himself, with a recent arc in Amazing Spider-Man by Nick Spencer, titled "Lifetime Achievement," that forced him to come to terms with the damage caused by his years-long vendetta against Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Astonishing Member

Everyone has their favorite version of JJ. They’ll accept that one as the true JJ and ignore the rest of them.

It helps that his more Republican leanings have been replaced with Democratic ones.

Mighty Member

It all started when a spider ate JJJ's stamp collection (Not Brand Ecch #1, 1967)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by tbaron View Post
    I dont know where all the love for JJ comes from.
    He is legitimately a very interesting character, who introduces shades of gray, has an iconic character design and even when written at his most unsympathetic (the L-D era) was ranked by fans as Spider-Man's best supporting character several years in a row in the Alley Awards.

I have heard some people call him an honest journalist who fights hard for the truth.
    That's how he is depicted in ASM #91-92, ASM #246, Daredevil Born Again, Alias by Bendis, and for most of The Pulse. A lot of great stories show him that way.

If we remember characters at their worst tendencies then yeah Jameson doesn't come out well. But then if we apply that universally, then Peter Parker is a creep who harassed Johnny Storm's girlfriend (ASM #8), who slapped his pregnant wife in accident (The Clone Saga). Gwen Stacy is a white supremacist (ASM #91-92) and bully (ASM #31-38). You could say Jameson has had some rough edges sanded off, I would say that applies to a lot of characters in Spider-Man, and it should be seen in context.

Jameson has supported in-page and in-panel Civil Rights, mutant rights and other worthy causes and he did that under Stan Lee's run with John Romita.

This kind of stuff, bashing Jonah, and ignoring the context, is not one jot different from people like Zack Snyder and his fanboys cherrypicking stuff to justify Batman and Superman being killers and claiming that's the right version and all the stuff showing Jonah in other contexts is "downplaying him" or "whitewashing him" and so on.

He has been responsible for two Spiderman villains The Scorpion and The Human Fly both of whom have body counts.
    Spider-Man's responsible for Venom and Carnage, who individually exceed the body counts of even Norman Osborn. Creating supervillains doesn't stop making you sympathetic or override everything else about a character.And at the end of the day, Human Fly at least is a minor villain who is on the lower-tiers of Spider-Man's rogues. There will never be a Spider-Man movie where the Human Fly and for that matter Scorpion, will be the main villain. Whereas Venom and Carnage got tons of spinoffs and so on and still make a lot of money for killing buckets of people.

And how honest is he when he publishes so many false stories about Spiderman?
    Most of Jonah's anti-Spider-Man stuff goes in editorial, which is opinion. The headlines and actual articles generally stay in the realm of facts or plausibility. When Spider-Man actually does something worthwhile, Jameson however reluctantly publishes the truth.

Jameson Daydreamers.jpg

TUrning the public against Spiderman more then anyone else has.
    Who was Peter Parker before Uncle Ben died? He was a showboat and celebrity shill who let a burglar walk by and said that guy wasn't his problem. Jameson as Zdarsky's "My Dinner with Jonah" pointed out attended one of those shows, so as far as he was concerned, Spider-Man was always a fake. And he's right in that Spider-Man did start out as a fake. There was a period in Peter's life where everything Jameson said about Spider-Man as a character was indeed entirely true. And he always serves as a reminder to Peter and the readers of the kind of person he once was and could be.

And in the frist Superior Spiderman series he tells Spiderman he wants him to kill Smythe.
    Dan Slott's Superior has Aunt May and Mary Jane not noticing that Ock is in Peter's body even when that guy is the worst actor in the world. A lot of people were acting out of character in his run.

When Jameson is written by Stan Lee, Roger Stern, Tom Defalco, Brian Michael Bendis, Chip Zdarsky, you know writers who are actually good, he is shown as a complex character with a lot of nuances whose good ultimately outweighs his bad.
    Last edited by Revolutionary_Jack; 07-27-2019 at 07:40 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    When Jameson is written by Stan Lee, Roger Stern, Tom Defalco, Brian Michael Bendis, Chip Zdarsky, you know writers who are actually good, he is shown as a complex character with a lot of nuances whose good ultimately outweighs his bad.
    If only you could name any writers...

Despite their differences, it was great seeing Peter and Jonah work together during the Great Spider War against NorMadara Uchiha and his Carnage Sharingan.

He has done some terrible things, but also lot of good stuff.
    It all depends on the writer and also the story that is being told. Stan Lee could show you an stupid Jonah one issue, and next one surprise you with an actual good human being. Sometimes, he would do both in the same issue.
    I think, despite the extremes positions his behavior might take, it all contributed to a fleshed out character, and one of the best of the Spider-Man's comics. I disagree with the opinion that Dan Slott is a bad Spider-Man writer, so I don't discard Jonah's petition to Superior Spider-Man. He was in a low point of his life, despite his role as mayor of NY, he was consumed by hatred ever since the death of Marla, something he still hadn't overcome (I ignore if he eventually did overcome it or not)
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

BANNED

Slott didn’t do anything half as good as Jonah as Zdarsky did. My dinner With Jonah is one of the all time great Soider-Man stories and better than anything Slott ever write. The Jonah that shows up in Go Down Swinging is zdarsky’s Jonah not Slott’s.

Slott didn’t do anything half as good as Jonah as Zdarsky did. My dinner With Jonah is one of the all time great Soider-Man stories and better than anything Slott ever write. The Jonah that shows up in Go Down Swinging is zdarsky’s Jonah not Slott’s.
    I disagree with your statement saying that My dinner with Jonah is better than anything Slott wrote, but I do agree that it was a great issue. Zdarsky is amazing with intimate moments
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

He is legitimately a very interesting character, who introduces shades of gray, has an iconic character design and even when written at his most unsympathetic (the L-D era) was ranked by fans as Spider-Man's best supporting character several years in a row in the Alley Awards.

That's how he is depicted in ASM #91-92, ASM #246, Daredevil Born Again, Alias by Bendis, and for most of The Pulse. A lot of great stories show him that way.

If we remember characters at their worst tendencies then yeah Jameson doesn't come out well. But then if we apply that universally, then Peter Parker is a creep who harassed Johnny Storm's girlfriend (ASM #8), who slapped his pregnant wife in accident (The Clone Saga). Gwen Stacy is a white supremacist (ASM #91-92) and bully (ASM #31-38). You could say Jameson has had some rough edges sanded off, I would say that applies to a lot of characters in Spider-Man, and it should be seen in context.

Jameson has supported in-page and in-panel Civil Rights, mutant rights and other worthy causes and he did that under Stan Lee's run with John Romita.

This kind of stuff, bashing Jonah, and ignoring the context, is not one jot different from people like Zack Snyder and his fanboys cherrypicking stuff to justify Batman and Superman being killers and claiming that's the right version and all the stuff showing Jonah in other contexts is "downplaying him" or "whitewashing him" and so on.

Spider-Man's responsible for Venom and Carnage, who individually exceed the body counts of even Norman Osborn. Creating supervillains doesn't stop making you sympathetic or override everything else about a character.And at the end of the day, Human Fly at least is a minor villain who is on the lower-tiers of Spider-Man's rogues. There will never be a Spider-Man movie where the Human Fly and for that matter Scorpion, will be the main villain. Whereas Venom and Carnage got tons of spinoffs and so on and still make a lot of money for killing buckets of people.

Most of Jonah's anti-Spider-Man stuff goes in editorial, which is opinion. The headlines and actual articles generally stay in the realm of facts or plausibility. When Spider-Man actually does something worthwhile, Jameson however reluctantly publishes the truth.

Jameson Daydreamers.jpg

Who was Peter Parker before Uncle Ben died? He was a showboat and celebrity shill who let a burglar walk by and said that guy wasn't his problem. Jameson as Zdarsky's "My Dinner with Jonah" pointed out attended one of those shows, so as far as he was concerned, Spider-Man was always a fake. And he's right in that Spider-Man did start out as a fake. There was a period in Peter's life where everything Jameson said about Spider-Man as a character was indeed entirely true. And he always serves as a reminder to Peter and the readers of the kind of person he once was and could be.

Dan Slott's Superior has Aunt May and Mary Jane not noticing that Ock is in Peter's body even when that guy is the worst actor in the world. A lot of people were acting out of character in his run.

Snyder's Superman and Batman killed villains that were either trying to kill them or innocent people. And them being killers was done by their original creators.

It can also be argued that Jameson fans also don't want to think of the many illegal and unethical actions he's committed because he's their favorite.

Cassidy at the least was a killer before he got a symbiote and Peter bringing back a costume he didn't know was a sentient being is no where near Jameson deliberately funding super villains.

You say Jameson has to be there to remind Spider-Man that at one time when he was a stupid kid he really was just a glory hound who didn't care about anyone else so why is acknowledging Jameson's own sins so controversial? And given how much you like to bring up that Gwen was a white supremacist and other stuff that makes her look bad without any prompting, you're kind of throwing stones in glass houses here.

Jameson's reasons for his crusade against Spider-Man have also been traditionally less than noble, from doing it to sell newspapers (which would arguably make him a sellout) to simple, petty jealousy of the wall crawler.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 07-29-2019 at 03:30 AM.

I do agree that Jonah is arguably Spider-Man's greatest enemy, as the funder for a few B-listers (The Spider Slayers, The Scorpion) and the man who made the public scared of Spider-Man. The love for Jonah comes from the way he's a great character; his flaws make his appearances fun to read. He does have good qualities, which make him much more nuanced than the typical villain or the typical supporting character.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

NICK SPENCER (Paraphrased): "yeah this jonah guy is a real POS half the time but half the time he's pretty cool so he's fun"

The thing about Jonah and his crusade against Spider-Man - he's not wrong most of the time. Spider-Man is misunderstood, but that misunderstanding is rooted in his desire to keep his secret identity safe and protect his loved ones. If someone doesn't know Spider-Man/Peter Parker really well, its easy to distrust him.

Jonah is Spider-Man's greatest enemy, Aunt May is Peter's greatest enemy. Not sure who is his greatest enema - maybe Paste-Pot Pete?
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.