• 70-80

1 0.39%
  • 80-90

1 0.39%
  • 90-100

5 1.93%
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm 36. Started reading the X-Men regularly towards the end of Inferno and immediately fell in love with Jean, Madelyne and the Phoenix mythos I knew so little about at the time. Then Jim Lee came on board with the Lady Mandarin arc and made me an X-fan for life.

I am 39 but turn 40 in a month. The X-men video arcade in the early 90s was my gateway into the X-Men (I was obsessed with that game as a teen), and then TAS. It was kind of weird, the first time I heard the name "X-Men" was in an article about the Image creators leaving Marvel (the X-men were not popular growing up in South America, TAS changed that). At that point I was collecting Avengers, Daredevil, JLA, Batman, etc (whatever books would get translated back then, and it wouldn't be in any order, you could read something from the 70s one week and then something from the early 90s the next). At the time I was learning English and started to get my hands on any X-Men collected editions I could find, so I would read stuff from different decades at the same time. First team I was aware of were the All New because of the arcade, second one was The Blue Gold era because of the cartoon, I was actually aware of the O5, I just didn't know that they were supposed to be X-Men or mutants (it was actually kind of shocking to find out they were part of the franchise, as I thought they were just random Marvel superheroes). First time I saw Cyclops (they translated his name as Ciclón, which made no sense), Angel, and Iceman was in a Marvel board game, Beast in an Avengers comic back in the late 80s.
    Last edited by Technopriest; 07-28-2019 at 10:37 AM.

Extraordinary Member

28. Combination of TAS after school and reading my dad's old X-Men and New Mutants comics from when he was subscribed in the 80s.

Cyke is awesome! Despair! The Jeeper 2.0's Avatar

I am 39. 1990 was the year in which I fell in love with the X-Men! That summer while McFarlane's Spiderman was getting all the rave reviews, I was reading "Days of Future Present" in the annuals. Also was tripping out on vampires in X-Factor. From that point on, I was hooked!
    "Listen to me...you can't kill an idea. It always comes back. Resurrected. Or reborn...into a different form." - Cyclops, Secret Wars

I'm 37. I started with X-men when I was 10 years old with the X-men The Animated Series. My first comic was probably X-men 1 (Jim Lee issue). I have been active on the various X-men fandom message boards since I was 19. I was on the Jean Grey Message Board (the original), wizardworld, x-fan, superherohype, Rogue and Remy Love Machine (mostly as a lurker), and on here.

My brother and I used to post spoiler topics here on cbr for New X-men after going to our comic store to review the advanced look of each issue. I was in college when Grant Morrison's New X-men came out and it is still my favorite run. My fav characters are Jean Grey, Cyclops, the rest of the 05, Storm, Psylocke, Emma, and Wolverine.

I can recall when I was among the younger folks on this board. I also recall when the off topic thread was mostly about people talking about their lives: school, dating, etc. I took a long break from comics (and the message boards) for a few years but came back to X-men collecting with the release of both the Jean Grey and Iceman solos. Around that time I also bought every trade I could get that had the story of Teen Jean and the rest of the 05.

I'm 28. Tas and Evolution were a big influence on my love of X-men

I’m 23 years old. I’ve been a little disengaged from the franchise in the latest years, but some of my first comics were X-Men (which title I cannot tell because they were from a mexican editorial that released every title under the X-Men banner, though inside came the original US cover with the name of the title). I’ve been a fan at least since the release of the X-Men movie and, alongside the Fox Kids’s cartoons, formed my interest in the franchise. I’m a big fan of the Claremont original run, though I haven’t read it all, I’ve read a lot from this period and to this day I consider it to be some of the best work ever done in any form of art. I also was a big fan of New X-Men by Morrison, Uncanny X-Men by Remender and Astonishing X-Men by Whedon.
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

Real live 17 yr old here, cue theatrical gasps of shock..learned about the xmen through cartoons like evolution and watxm, the movies + my dads expansive knowledge of marvel trivia. I always loved the idea of a huge cast of diverse personalities with a family/team dynamic and I can't see any other books appealing to that, marvel or otherwise. Bought my first-ever comic in late 2011 or early 2012, it was an early issue of Nick Frost's Ultimate Xmen and surrendered myself and my minimal bank account over entirely. From there I tried catching up on the Regenesis books, got sucked in to Aaron's watxm (always gonna have a place in my heart), followed AvX as it came out and showed no signs of slowing down till I realized I was committing to to many books, spending way too much money and dropped comics entirely. Getting back into them recently, mostly focused on back-issues rather than the Current Mess but Hickman's run just might pull me back..

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    Do we start at zero or one for ages ?
    I have a friend who reads X-men books to her seven months old baby. So i guess it is never to early, zero counts too.

Quote Originally Posted by houndsofluv View Post
    Real live 17 yr old here, cue theatrical gasps of shock..learned about the xmen through cartoons like evolution and watxm, the movies + my dads expansive knowledge of marvel trivia. I always loved the idea of a huge cast of diverse personalities with a family/team dynamic and I can't see any other books appealing to that, marvel or otherwise. Bought my first-ever comic in late 2011 or early 2012, it was an early issue of Nick Frost's Ultimate Xmen and surrendered myself and my minimal bank account over entirely. From there I tried catching up on the Regenesis books, got sucked in to Aaron's watxm (always gonna have a place in my heart), followed AvX as it came out and showed no signs of slowing down till I realized I was committing to to many books, spending way too much money and dropped comics entirely. Getting back into them recently, mostly focused on back-issues rather than the Current Mess but Hickman's run just might pull me back..
    I'm really interested in checking Hickman's run. I think if response is favorable, I will buy the trades
    "The Batman is Gotham City. I will watch him. Study him. And when I know him and why he does not kill, I will know this city. And then Gotham will be MINE!"-BANE

"We're monsters, buddy. Plain and simple. I don't dress it up with fancy names like mutant or post-human; men were born crueler than Apes and we were born crueler than men. It's just the natural order of things"-ULTIMATE SABRETOOTH

40 started reading in the X-Men in the 80's with X-Factor and Classic X-Men/X-Men Classic

I’m 25. As a child I loved X-Men Evolution and the video games, particularly Next Dimension and Legends 1 & 2 but didn’t start reading XM comics till 2005ish, when I was around 12 years old. My first issue was a reprint (Essential X-Men) specifically the New X-Men comic where Scott and Emma’s psychic affair was exposed and Jean bulldozed through Emma’s mind haha. Before this, I’d always been drawn to Jean in mediums such as the cartoons, video games, etc. I remember skimming through that Essential X-Men reprint issue, being in awe of Jean’s power and Phil Jimenez’s pencilwork, I was quite an artsy child and couldn’t believe how beautiful the artwork looked. Collected Essential X-Men for the rest of the reprinted New X-Men run. X-Treme X-Men, Uncanny X-Men (Storm’s X.S.E where Rachel was a member convinced me to stay subscribed as even though Jean had passed and I was devastated as a kid, Rachel being so similar to Jean, intrigued me greatly) Soon gave up Essential X-Men as I felt left behind as reprints in that title were usually around 2-3 years behind the mainstream Marvel comics. Jumped onboard Fraction’s Uncanny run around 2009 but then gave up comics from 2011 to 2016 while attending university. Word of Jean’s return in 2017 reignited my inner fanboy and I picked up Phoenix Resurrection, then X-Men Red and I’ve been picking up flagship titles ever since like Uncanny, Gold, Blue and now House of X. Returning to X-Men comics is definitely something I’m thankful for. There was a time when my interest in the comics was almost non-existent but returning to this old hobby has actually really really helped keep me entertained in times in my life where things have been tough. I’ve noticed a lot of fans who give up the X-Books always return to the fold eventually, once an X-fan, always an X-fan I suppose!
    Last edited by Conor; 07-28-2019 at 12:17 PM.

All-New Member

I’m 35
    First encountered the X-Men renting ‘Pryde of the X-Men on VHS over and over as a kid.
    Ended up buying a copy of New Mutants issue 60 thinking it had something to do with Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles when I was 7.
    Discovered that title turned into X-Force that same year, and instantly went all-in for Liefeld’s story. (I am an unapologetic Liefeld fan. Statistically, at least one has to exist.)
    The X-Cutioners Song got me into the rest of the X-Family of books, and with occasional breaks due to tight finances, I’ve been following as much as I can ever since.

Mighty Member

I'm 35. Became interested with the show, but was young and couldn't really afford comics back then. Didn't start truly collecting til late 20's. Liked Bunncanny and then RED but not much else. Hickman has me really excited though.

34 been reading since I was 8. Haven't really steadily been reading since Morrison. Usually follow artists around like Bachalo. Couldn't stand that Bendis/Bachalo run.