Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Don't Bully a Hurt Dragon Sergard's Avatar

I want a fic that adapts Red Riding Hood with Jason being Red Riding Hood xD

I also think that the ending of the annual - with Artemis and Bizarro going through the door and entering that yellow "path" - is a reference to the yellow brick road.
    But it would probably be a little too far-fetched to assume that Artemis and Bizarro represent Dorothy and the "brainless" Scarecrow who proves to be smart. Although it's fun to imagine that Jason could be the "heartless" Tin Woodman (who proves to be kind and sensitive) and maybe Caden could be the "cowardly" lion since he was scared at first to use his powers but afterwards seemed happy that he did try.

I'm not so sure about the three characters Flutterby (the girl with the butterfly wings), G. (the frog) and Shady (the shadow on the wall). They look like fairy tale characters. But I'm not sure if they are really a reference to anything. My first thoughts are Thumbelina or Tinker Bell, the frog from The Frog Prince (there is at least the similarity that G. was first a normal human and then was "cursed" by a bomb to turn into a frog) and Peter Pan's shadow. But that sounds like an odd mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sergard View Post

I also think that the ending of the annual - with Artemis and Bizarro going through the door and entering that yellow "path" - is a reference to the yellow brick road.
    But it would probably be a little too far-fetched to assume that Artemis and Bizarro represent Dorothy and the "brainless" Scarecrow who proves to be smart. Although it's fun to imagine that Jason could be the "heartless" Tin Woodman (who proves to be kind and sensitive) and maybe Caden could be the "cowardly" lion since he was scared at first to use his powers but afterwards seemed happy that he did try.

I'm not so sure about the three characters Flutterby (the girl with the butterfly wings), G. (the frog) and Shady (the shadow on the wall). They look like fairy tale characters. But I'm not sure if they are really a reference to anything. My first thoughts are Thumbelina or Tinker Bell, the frog from The Frog Prince (there is at least the similarity that G. was first a normal human and then was "cursed" by a bomb to turn into a frog) and Peter Pan's shadow. But that sounds like an odd mix.
    I wouldn't rule out that it was an actual mishmash of "modern" and old tales. It's not like he plays the actual story of the book 1:1, so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯.

Fantastic Member

Frog Dude is from Ozma of Oz. The rest are Oz characters as well, but I can't remember which books. Artemis as Dorothy makes some sense as Dorothy got ruthless and vicious in latter books, as well as advocated for the Wizard being forgiven and allowed back into Oz. But honestly? Biz matches Dorothy's personality.

On further thought, I think all of these characters are from Ozma of Oz, which makes Jason Ozma. I'm down with that. Under Lobdell he has mirrored many of Ozma|Tip's journeys...and oh! Oh! Bizarro is Jack Pumpkinhead. As you may recall, Jack's intelligence goes from being the most brilliant person in Oz to an utter nincompoop depending on the state of his head. Artemis could be either Betsy or Dorothy, but it's been so long that I can't remember everyone's names and personalities aside from the fact that Dorothy kicked ass and was the dreaded one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    Frog Dude is from Ozma of Oz. The rest are Oz characters as well, but I can't remember which books. Artemis as Dorothy makes some sense as Dorothy got ruthless and vicious in latter books, as well as advocated for the Wizard being forgiven and allowed back into Oz. But honestly? Biz matches Dorothy's personality.

On further thought, I think all of these characters are from Ozma of Oz, which makes Jason Ozma. I'm down with that. Under Lobdell he has mirrored many of Ozma|Tip's journeys...and oh! Oh! Bizarro is Jack Pumpkinhead. As you may recall, Jack's intelligence goes from being the most brilliant person in Oz to an utter nincompoop depending on the state of his head. Artemis could be either Betsy or Dorothy, but it's been so long that I can't remember everyone's names and personalities aside from the fact that Dorothy kicked ass and was the dreaded one.
    I can see Biz being Pumpkinhead. I don't know about Jason as Ozma though, I 'm not sure. Wouldn't she be more fitting for Bruce? Edit: Nah, nevermind. I can see it working for the whole current run, I guess.
    Last edited by Zaresh; 08-01-2019 at 02:49 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    I can see Biz being Pumpkinhead. I don't know about Jason as Ozma though, I 'm not sure. Wouldn't she be more fitting for Bruce? Edit: Nah, nevermind. I can see it working for the whole current run, I guess.
    If you take it as the entire run going all the way back to the New 52, Jason could very well be Ozma. Which makes Isabel Dorothy.

Although now that I've noticed it, going back to a previous discussion on lit references, Damian and Jon over in Super Sons and Adventures of the Super Sons are absolutely Ozma and Dorothy from the later books, and just like many of Jason's stories mirror the OZ books, so do the Super Sons. I'm not sure how much of that is deliberate and how much is post modernism. With Lobdell and Tomasi I lean towards deliberate. Snyder's post apocalyptic book also pulls heavily from the Oz books, and Lex is definitely the wizard in that.

I really think Artemis is Betsy Buttons, but I could be wrong.

The actually sad thing about this story is that we didn't meet the batfamily. All of them (except Duke) would have had meta powers, right?
    It would have been interesting to see what Lobdell would have come up with, especially since this is only a one-issue-story taking place in an alternate universe.
    So the powers don't need to be necessarily "cool" like super strength, flight or psychokinesis. It could be any weird power imaginable, even powers that are disadvantageous for the user, similar to Lex Luthor being turned into a big brain that can't move on its own.

The actually sad thing about this story is that we didn't meet the batfamily. All of them (except Duke) would have had meta powers, right?
    It would have been interesting to see what Lobdell would have come up with, especially since this is only a one-issue-story taking place in an alternate universe.
    So the powers don't need to be necessarily "cool" like super strength, flight or psychokinesis. It could be any weird power imaginable, even powers that are disadvantageous for the user, similar to Lex Luthor being turned into a big brain that can't move on its own.
    Nah, Bruce would have been the first to go, since he would lose the power of Plot Armor.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Nah, Bruce would have been the first to go, since he would lose the power of Plot Armor.
    I think that's why we saw one panel with him dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctic Cyclist View Post
    I think that's why we saw one panel with him dying.
    Was there one? I only can remember the one panel with him, Wonder Woman, Cyborg and Green Lantern John Stuart - and only the last two were deadly wounded in that panel. Batman seemed fine.