Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is Betsy Braddock as Captain Britain going to be super overpowered?

9ce7bed055b190a26c22adb5be7bfc4a.jpg

We all know that Betsy will become the new Captain Britain in the upcoming Excalibur series. What's also interesting is that she's not just taking the name, but it's confirmed that she's getting the Amulet of Right aka the thing that first powered her brother Brian. She's also very clearly shown to retain her mutant powers.

If this sounds right, she'll be a Superman-esque powerhouse with advanced telekinesis and telepathy abilities that few can match. In fact, I think it's entirely possible that the empowerment won't just affect her physical abilities, but her already potent innate powers could theoretically receive a massive boost as well by being part of her, but we don't know if they'll go that route.

I'll admit that I'm not particularly versed with Captain Britain, but I know from what I have seen, both in the books I've read and online, that he's very OP even without Betsy's additional abilities. He can lift an incredible amount of weight (such as when he landed a 600 ton jumbo jet by himself and that's not an isolated instance of his strength), fly at superhuman speeds (catching up to people hours away in mere minutes), no-sell attacks that would decimate other strong people (not even phased by Pete Wisdom stabbing him with a hot knife with the temperature of the sun), and can manipulate a powerful forcefield to his advantage (when just being nigh-invulnerable isn't enough). I know that his power is based on confidence (I guess similar to the Hulk with anger?), and at his most confident he's even more OP. He once held back the Phoenix, has Thor been able to do that?

Keep in mind that Betsy, without the above augmentation, is still one of the most powerful telepaths in the world, can create powerful forcefields, psionic weapons, read minds, control minds, and use a variety of special TK-based abilities. I didn't list everything, because she has a lot. Her biggest weakness was no super strength or inherent durability, and that's no longer a problem.

Now, she has the above physical powers, and the mental powers that could very well receive a boost from becoming Captain Britain. I mean, Brian was OP enough as it is, and he doesn't have any innate mutant powers. Now, I imagine Betsy is going to have all of his powers, plus suped-up versions of her own.

Damn. Betsy has suddenly become one of the scariest people in the Marvel Universe.

They talk about not using her Butterfly effect for telepath so that might indicate that her telepathic abilities might not be as strong as they were in past.

I am assuming this is temporary.

If not she is supposed to be the X-Men's answer to Captain Marvel who Marvel is trying to knock us over the head with the fact that she is OP.

I think the main problem with Excalibur's new title is there is literally one british person on the entire team.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    They talk about not using her Butterfly effect for telepath so that might indicate that her telepathic abilities might not be as strong as they were in past.
    Are you only gonna be happy when she's unpowered dead and in limbo or what lol.

I suspect they're gonna gradually move her away from tp/tk until she essentially becomes the female version of Brian, while handing down all of her original powers to Not Psylocke.

Quote Originally Posted by blanchett View Post
    I am assuming this is temporary.

If not she is supposed to be the X-Men's answer to Captain Marvel who Marvel is trying to knock us over the head with the fact that she is OP.

I think the main problem with Excalibur's new title is there is literally one british person on the entire team.
    I highly doubt it's temporary. Mainly because C.B. spoke of this as a transition comparable to Carol as Captain Marvel, and was done to please both the people who hated white Psylocke, and the people they would've pissed off if they did the reverse. Trying to please everyone and make it so everyone wins.

Impossible, but a valiant effort.

So I see this as the status quo for the foreseeable future.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Are you only gonna be happy when she's unpowered dead and in limbo or what lol.
    Lol no I don't hate Betsy ,It is quite the opposite. I want her to be very successful. She is one of few X-characters I think can maintain a solo book. I am just not worried about certain aspects like other people. They took away the asian body but truthly they did such a bad job of making characters look asian in books that there was going to be no real difference in how she looks( see the extremist for example). They are apparently not using her butterfly tp effect but she is still a telepath. They changing her name from Psylocke but they are giving her about a equal name Captain Britain. She is not a "Ninja" and but she still has psychic sword and is a fighter. Her current Captain Britain is armored look which is similar to what she used to wear before the change. I think Betsy is fine and will be fine, I just think there is a world Kwannon as "Psylocke" and Betsy Braddock exist together with no issue because Besty is so versatile

With psychic and flying brick powers, she’d be similar in many ways to Martian Manhunter, a notoriously overpowered character.

Since the CB stuff is banking on Brienne imagery, I’d reduce her telekinesis to weapon visualization. It’s not mountain-blasting anymore, but it *is* only as strong as her willpower. I’d also hamper the telepathy. I’d leave her friendly rapports an open comm system, so teammates can stay in contact... but I’d reduce her offensive telepathy powers to touch.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    That's interesting. Sadly, I wasn't there (being in Seattle and not having the money to go ) and they don't allow live-streaming. Did they go into further details regarding her power set?

BANNED

If she does become too overpowered, the most that can happen is:
    1. A couple of instances where her powers are displayed in an absolutely awesome way;
    2. She then proceeds to get jobbed every now and then, to show how amazing whatever villain OC Howard comes up with is.

So it won't really break the plot. Will it piss fans off? Absolutely. But it's not really a concern. I don't think they'll go full overkill with Betsy's powers. Even with the Captain Britain powers, they'll be up against more magic threats. This kind of villain tends to bend the rules when it comes to power scales.

BANNED

Well, she is not an omega. So that kinda answer the question.

Depends on the type of villains she'll be up against.

Yes she will be. Love to see it!!

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

If she does anything less than kill Galactus with a roundhouse kick I'll be disappointed.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    If she does anything less than kill Galactus with a roundhouse kick I'll be disappointed.
    It would be in the tradition of Excalibur...

Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!