Page 18 of 46 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    Also I think ignored is that she just pushed the guy bank and he died when he landed. She probably didn’t know she was going to kill him
    In other words, collateral damage. Which is what the entire series condemns the supes for doing. To the extent audiences give a character a pass for doing that just because she's a protagonist and so on, this show can't do that, it goes against the premises.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    In other words, collateral damage. Which is what the entire series condemns the supes for doing. To the extent audiences give a character a pass for doing that just because she's a protagonist and so on, this show can't do that, it goes against the premises.
    In fairness, Butcher escalated the matter. They give him plenty of passes for being an ass.

Mighty Member

I think the entire point of the scene was that Starlight isn't the goodie goodie she's been made out to be. That, at the end of the day, she's still a supe. Yeah, she's a supe who means well. But she has power nobody else does, and she isn't afraid to use it. Here, to save Hughie, because she can and because nobody can stop her. Combined with everything she's going through with The Seven, and she's becoming jaded, cynical. There are corrupting influences coming at her from both sides.

Hughie is the only character in the show who has been able to dive into the muck and come out still moral. Everyone else is slowly being compromised by the brutality of the world around them. One of the themes of this second season so far has been the question of whether or not Hughie can drag some of these people back into the light from the gray and messed up places they have sunk into. We've seen him be a positive influence on MM, and even Butcher.

I dont think anyone is giving her a pass. The vast majority of character are shitty people. Its just to varying degrees. Queen Maive, A train, and The deep have all done horrible **** but the show makes them sympathetic. Kinda what the show does great makes you feel uncomfortable by feeling sympathy for horrible people.

I will say till I came to this board and read comments I didn't know That guy died. I must have no been paying enough attention. I remember the scene ending and asking myself did she hurt him real bad or kill him. It was ambiguous to me. Seems pretty clear cut everyone else thinks she killed the guy. So yea I must have not been paying close enough attention.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I dont think anyone is giving her a pass. The vast majority of character are shitty people. Its just to varying degrees. Queen Maive, A train, and The deep have all done horrible **** but the show makes them sympathetic. Kinda what the show does great makes you feel uncomfortable by feeling sympathy for horrible people.

I will say till I came to this board and read comments I didn't know That guy died. I must have no been paying enough attention. I remember the scene ending and asking myself did she hurt him real bad or kill him. It was ambiguous to me. Seems pretty clear cut everyone else thinks she killed the guy. So yea I must have not been paying close enough attention.
    I figured if that guy was still alive Starlight wouldn't have left him behind. He would have needed a hospital as much as Hughie

Not the crossover with Monk I expected. RIP Randy.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Based on the last episode, is it possible that Frenchie is bisexual or his sexuality is on a spectrum?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Based on the last episode, is it possible that Frenchie is bisexual or his sexuality is on a spectrum?
    I think so. Tomer Kapon's Frenchie really developed the most I think from panel-to-screen. The comics' version of Frenchie was a fairly banal character but the one in the show is more complex and interesting.

I think so. Tomer Kapon's Frenchie really developed the most I think from panel-to-screen. The comics' version of Frenchie was a fairly banal character but the one in the show is more complex and interesting.
    That's a tough one.

"Comics" Frenchie isn't simply a character the way "Television" Frenchie is.

The character in the comic, in part, exists as a send up of another "Comics" character in addition to being the character who is an important part of the title.

No matter how well they wind up doing with "Television" Frenchie(barring a pretty specific move that I doubt the show will have the time or the inclination to make...), he won't ever have that additional layer that "Comics" Frenchie had.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    That's a tough one.

"Comics" Frenchie isn't simply a character the way "Television" Frenchie is.

The character in the comic, in part, exists as a send up of another "Comics" character in addition to being the character who is an important part of the title.

No matter how well they wind up doing with "Television" Frenchie(barring a pretty specific move that I doubt the show will have the time or the inclination to make...), he won't ever have that additional layer that "Comics" Frenchie had.
    Don't understand this at all.

What character is Frenchie a send-up for in the comics?

Don't understand this at all.

What character is Frenchie a send-up for in the comics?
    To me, he is an overall riff on poking fun at the whole of who Wolverine/Logan is as a character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    To me, he is an overall riff on poking fun at the whole of who Wolverine/Logan is as a character.
    I honestly don't see this at all. Comics!Frenchie has nothing to do with Wolverine. We know this because Garth Ennis a) despises Wolverine, b) included two other Wolverine parodies in the same comic.

Ennis is not about to make a character that he himself likes and who is intended to be likable to the reader, i.e. The Frenchie (and the Boys in general) to be patterned on backstory ideas based on a character he despises to his core.

The characters of The Boys are spoofs of action films and spy films, and The Boys in part is a commentary on how action movies and spy movies with non-powered roughneck soldier types have been supplanted by superheroes in genre stories. That element is also there in the TV show as well but updated in references (i.e. Burn Notice which wasn't there before).

Ultimate Member

I honestly don't see this at all. Comics!Frenchie has nothing to do with Wolverine. We know this because Garth Ennis a) despises Wolverine, b) included two other Wolverine parodies in the same comic.

Ennis is not about to make a character that he himself likes and who is intended to be likable to the reader, i.e. The Frenchie (and the Boys in general) to be patterned on backstory ideas based on a character he despises to his core.

The characters of The Boys are spoofs of action films and spy films, and The Boys in part is a commentary on how action movies and spy movies with non-powered roughneck soldier types have been supplanted by superheroes in genre stories. That element is also there in the TV show as well but updated in references (i.e. Burn Notice which wasn't there before).
    I think you give Ennis too much credit.

The Boys was just a 75 issue long complaint about the super hero genre, always ending with the same punchline (being beaten up by the manly men, mainly the man Butcher, with Hughie suffering).

Action/spy movies meets superheroes was really the series that Ennis was hired to ape, Stormwatch Team Achilles. Shame Micah was such a liar...

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I figured if that guy was still alive Starlight wouldn't have left him behind. He would have needed a hospital as much as Hughie
    I thought it was clear that she considered looking to help him and Butcher made the call for her not to which she reluctantly agreed to. Nothing in that scene says the driver died just knocked out

Quote Originally Posted by beatboks View Post
    I thought it was clear that she considered looking to help him and Butcher made the call for her not to which she reluctantly agreed to. Nothing in that scene says the driver died just knocked out
    LOL he was dead. Everything in that scene said he was dead. Like the blood pooling out of his head.