Page 27 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1723242526272829303137 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    According to the head of the church of the collective, the efforts they put in to rehabilitate The Deep's image was working. The only reason reason why he didn't make it back into the seven is because there was only room for one redemption arc on the team.
    What does this remotely have to do with what I posted?

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    No it isn't subjective. Facts are facts. George Dubya Bush was an elite politician, from a rich family, and his administration was in power. In terms of ideology, background, level of power, that's entirely different from Cortez.

Replacing a character meant to satirize the former to one attacking the latter is dubious and shallow.

Gotta politely disagree with your assessment here.

To one guy's eye, the idea the the show is a "Note For Note..." version of the comic where all of the characters and pieces play the exact same role feels kind of like it falls apart when you actually look at the what the show is doing.

In the same way that "Television..." Frenchie is not exactly the walking sight gag that he was in the comics, I haven't seen so much as a single thing that points to that they intend on the "Television" VTV being an "Attack..."

It's been about the same as Stormfront being a little bit more complicated character on the screen.
    Last edited by numberthirty; 10-10-2020 at 09:01 PM.

What does this remotely have to do with what I posted?
    It seems to me a reply to your comment that this show is "on the side of cancel culture" and that the The Deep "stayed cancelled." The show showed that this was not the case in terms of the Deep. His numbers were up and he would have been "uncancelled" and back in the 7 if it weren't for other internal machinations.

We've seen other celebrities come back from scandals and get "uncancelled" - James Gunn among others.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-10-2020 at 09:01 PM.

But about the show:
    -- I was really expecting Maeve to die this episode. (for a second, I thought Starlight would die for shock value) I would never have expected her ploy to be the actual magic bullet that saves the day. Her line "as long as there's nobody left to love you" really sold it. Bravo to her. But of course, all the pieces that came into play from The 7 - Maeve, The Deep, A-Train, they all played a part in taking down Stormfront and holding back Homelander, but they all did it for their own self interest. (Maeve a little less so, so there's hope for her)
    -- Was I the only one expecting anyone at any time to have their head pop?
    -- PLOT ARMOR in full effect. There's no way Stormfront wouldn't have obliterated the Boys during their confrontation. They just got the "tossed back ten feet" A-Team treatment for no real reason.
    -- Girls DO get it done!
    -- I wanted to know more about Stormfront. Was she active during WWII? They don't mention her as a Supe Nazi (get it?). How did she transition to become Liberty and why did she go dark for so long and then decide to come back as Stormfront? A bunch of questions there for me.
    -- I liked that despite Hughie's role as the moral compass, Starlight says that it's Butcher's show of humanity that sways her back to having faith.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 10-11-2020 at 02:44 AM.

Amazing Member

So bullets can't hurt Stormfront, but a knife can?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by gorosaurus View Post
    Exactly plot armor and inconsistencies exist because they should have had the boys have compound v from the beginning...the season finale was disappointing... storm front was eliminated( I don't believe shes dead) way too easily.

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    Exactly plot armor and inconsistencies exist because they should have had the boys have compound v from the beginning...the season finale was disappointing... storm front was eliminated( I don't believe shes dead) way too easily.
    Minor Comics Spoilers!! -

spoilers:
    Stormfront beats The Female into a coma to draw out the rest of The Boys so that Payback can fight them in a kill box. During said beating, The Female tears out the same eye that Stormfront lost in that scene.
    end of spoilers

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It seems to me a reply to your comment that this show is "on the side of cancel culture" and that the The Deep "stayed cancelled." The show showed that this was not the case in terms of the Deep. His numbers were up and he would have been "uncancelled" and back in the 7 if it weren't for other internal machinations.

We've seen other celebrities come back from scandals and get "uncancelled" - James Gunn among others.
    The thing I'm wondering about now, though...who will take Alistair Adana's place? If Deep's numbers are up, the return to the 7 was the logical place to take that "redemption"...but being the new head of this church is another place they can take it, too.

Yeah, that made no sense. I think the writers wanted to give Becca a badass moment before killing her off, and decided to ignore powerlevels to make that happen.

Ennis is politically weird (which makes sense since he was raised Catholic, turned atheist, and is a Northern Irish Unionist despite his Catholic ethnicity which makes him quite unique) but he's never out and out attacked progressive people and made them out to be inherently fraudulent. He shows them as being somewhat naive, forceful and so on but he never ridicules the beliefs and opinions itself. Making Victoria outright evil and a fraud is doing that, especially given the person she's pattern off of. The Boys comics is quite respectful to gay rights and shows homosexual characters fairly and sympathetically in the early part of the run. His current Dear Becky series has a respectful take on a trans character.

Taking a Dubya Bush parody and caricature and turning it into an AOC demonization implies a shallow understanding of politics. There's a huge level of difference between a middle aged WASP rich kid son of an ex Potus who got America involved in an illegal war (and so has done and represents actual politics that are worth caricature and criticism) and a working class daughter of immigrants who is up for re-election after her first term in the House of Representatives. What's the political message being conveyed there?
    Despite her looking like AOC, I think she's actually intended to satirize Neoliberal types, and how they aren't all that different from Neocons when it comes to corporate power, the military industrial complex, marijuana legalization, and medicare for all. Mostly they just pander to the Woke crowd with platitudes, while their substance doesn't amount to much. In other words, she's a parody of Harris, Biden, Clinton, etc. Indeed, the world of The Boys being so cynical, it likely lacks an actual progressive AOC analogue, and has only Neoliberal corporatists pandering to language/image policing only.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I think people are really overthinking the AOC thing

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Despite her looking like AOC, I think she's actually intended to satirize Neoliberal types,
    What is the evidence you are using to support this claim outside of wishful thinking?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    The thing I'm wondering about now, though...who will take Alistair Adana's place? If Deep's numbers are up, the return to the 7 was the logical place to take that "redemption"...but being the new head of this church is another place they can take it, too.
    It depends on where they want to go with the "latest adventures in the downward spiral of The Deep".

If they want to continue with the scientology spoof, they can have The Deep take over. If they want to send The Deep down another road to explore some other facet of that world, they can send him there.

The Deep is a character you can use to introduce elements not tied to Vought into the show.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by obatalla View Post
    Kevlar can stop a bullet, but not a knife. And an eye is soft tissue.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I think people are really overthinking the AOC thing
    Agreed. I'd hate to think that everything must be symbolic prior to any further reveals. We'd lose cliffhangers that way