Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sammael View Post
    Homelander = Neocon version of Trump

Stormfront = Bannon/Stephen Miller
    Yup I don't think they are being subtle about it either.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by inisideguy View Post
    Yup I don't think they are being subtle about it either.
    Ennis isn't known to be subtle in his work. It's on brand

That was some good acting on Aya Cash's part. She actually made me feel a little bad for the most evil character on a show full of evil characters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    That was some good acting on Aya Cash's part. She actually made me feel a little bad for the most evil character on a show full of evil characters.
    Yeah, she played a racist with human feeling without dialing down the racism. Not easy to do. Racists like her deeply believe that they are right and the people they hate need to be brought down, that among fellow racists (Homelander being outed for one now), they show off vulnerability.

This show brought it in that despite taking different roads, the characters are going the same place the comics are going. Stormfront in the show is a straight version of the comics' version after all.

You get the feeling that underneath it all, she's an old woman watching her world slowly die. And while her world was awful and deserved to die, it's hard not to pity an old woman watching her world slowly die just a little. There's a bit of that "Highlander" vibe, or the vibe of certain vampire stories.

BANNED

You get the feeling that underneath it all, she's an old woman watching her world slowly die. And while her world was awful and deserved to die, it's hard not to pity an old woman watching her world slowly die just a little. There's a bit of that "Highlander" vibe, or the vibe of certain vampire stories.

I don’t find her pitiable at all. I find her interesting for the way her humanity reinforces her evil. But I don’t feel bad for a person who whines about being young and immortal and uses that to murder innocents.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Yeah, she played a racist with human feeling without dialing down the racism. Not easy to do. Racists like her deeply believe that they are right and the people they hate need to be brought down, that among fellow racists (Homelander being outed for one now), they show off vulnerability.

This show brought it in that despite taking different roads, the characters are going the same place the comics are going. Stormfront in the show is a straight version of the comics' version after all.
    Ahh im behind right now. Homelanders one redeeming quality was i thought he was a equal opportunist sociopath. Gonna ctach up tonight. The Amazon video app on my phone is acting weird. It only showed the first 4 episodes last night. Epsiode 5 wasn't on there. Maybe now 4 and 5 will show up iono. I'll find out when I get off.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Ahh im behind right now. Homelanders one redeeming quality was i thought he was a equal opportunist sociopath. Gonna ctach up tonight. The Amazon video app on my phone is acting weird. It only showed the first 4 episodes last night. Epsiode 5 wasn't on there. Maybe now 4 and 5 will show up iono. I'll find out when I get off.
    LOL, Homelander has no redeeming quality, he is all about self glory.

BANNED

I have some issues with the latest episode of The Boys. Hopefully this pays off later.

The thing is the comics have a very strong anti-super message, a very strong message about collateral damage and so on:

spoilers:
    The scene where Starlight kills the rando civilian for his car, yeah it was an accident on her part, that guy pulled his gun and so on...but that entire scene is part of Ennis' criticism about superheroes in the comics, that their powers are dangerous, can have consequences, and they can kill with a pinkie. Here Starlight didn't intend to kill the guy and she did it. So now the show is in a corner where a character who was intended to be the innocent supe, or the one good supe, is guilty for doing stuff not so far from A-Train when he gristled Robin.

And we see Butcher sort of accept that? in-character you can argue that Billy is trying to reform his genocidal racism after Becca raised the issue but he's just seeing confirmation of one of his prejudices about supes in front of him.
    end of spoilers

And it's a corner if the story is going to give Starlight a pass for her accidental murder because she's a protagonist and that guy's an extra when the show attacks everyone else for doing it.

Ultimate Member

You'd think that Maeve would be smarter about hiding that kind of evidence

Ultimate Member

Just finished Ep 6.

Some things were set-up well but somethings didn't work for me.

The whole thing with Starlight and the guy in the car was incredibly contrived and definitely didn't have to play out like that. And it paints her character in an entirely different light given her reaction to what happened.

The whole thing with Stormfront and Homelander is getting more interesting. I'm curious how things play out now.

And Maeve's plan is dumb and she was very careless leaving that sort of very, very dangerous video lying around.

Yeah, it felt super-contrived because she's bulletproof and super-strong. She did not need to shoot him. She could have just stood between him and Butcher so everyone would be completely safe from bullets, then just walk in and grab his gun. It was simply not a situation requiring lethal force. Yet it was written as if it were.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Frenchie is never gonna let Marvin live that down. I liked we finally got some backstory on Frenchie

Shawn Ashmore being casted as Lamp Lighter is a great casting gag.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Frenchie is never gonna let Marvin live that down. I liked we finally got some backstory on Frenchie

Shawn Ashmore being casted as Lamp Lighter is a great casting gag.
    Aaron Stanford would have been better.

Extraordinary Member

Yeah, it felt super-contrived because she's bulletproof and super-strong. She did not need to shoot him. She could have just stood between him and Butcher so everyone would be completely safe from bullets, then just walk in and grab his gun. It was simply not a situation requiring lethal force. Yet it was written as if it were.
    There were several elements to that scene.

1. Hughie’s life was in danger and rind was an issue

2. Butcher was being an idiot and creating tension with the driver and if Butcher died, Hughie was likely going to die as Starlight would have two bodies and no way to get anywhere.

3. They simply can’t take the guys car when he could identify Starlight.

4. Starlight couldn’t be compromised and identified or she dies

Also I think ignored is that she just pushed the guy bank and he died when he landed. She probably didn’t know she was going to kill him