Page 28 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Agreed. I'd hate to think that everything must be symbolic prior to any further reveals. We'd lose cliffhangers that way
    Past that...

It feels like the equation a lot of people seem to be going with is "Almost Completely Satirical Book Equals Almost Complete Satirical Television Series..."

Look at anything that they have said about "Television..." Soldier Boy. Unless it is one elaborate misdirection, the satire from the comic will be largely out the window on the screen.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Agreed. I'd hate to think that everything must be symbolic prior to any further reveals.
    Further reveals won't change the fact that the character from the comics framed and presented originally as a corrupt caricature of a right-wing politician is now converted on the show to a corrupt caricature of a left-wing one, nor change the fact that the character is a mass murderer of innocent people.

There is no further revelation that's going to alter the throughline of Season 2. That's not to say that there aren't interesting directions to go from here but the way it's set up, there aren't too many places to land with this reveal.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    It feels like the equation a lot of people ...
    The equation is that people don't want to actually deal with consequences and criticism and real doubts. So any issues about a drastic change about a character is brushed aside with bad faith statements.

The "Criticism..." falls pretty flat once the character is no longer a walking instance of "Bit..." and becomes a more serious element of the the overall story.

Folks are on trying to make an "Apple"/"Apple" comparison where it obviously does not exist. "Television.." VTV is not caricature(though it does seem like a lot of folks seem to want to hold onto that idea...)

This thing stopped being anything like "Apple"/"Apple" a ways back.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    The "Criticism..." falls pretty flat once the character is no longer a walking instance of "Bit..." and becomes a more serious element of the the overall story.

Folks are on trying to make an "Apple"/"Apple" comparison where it obviously does not exist. "Television.." VTV is not caricature(though it does seem like a lot of folks seem to want to hold onto that idea...)

This thing stopped being anything like "Apple"/"Apple" a ways back.
    Agreed. This series isn't AMC's Walking Dead, lurching back to the source material every other episode. They deserve the benefit of the doubt.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I think people are really overthinking the AOC thing
    Agreed 100%. Gonna let this show cook.

Incredible Member

In sci-fi shows. In generally. Unless you see a body, that person not dead. Comics heroes that rule applies even more. She may not be able to come back 100% or with regrown arms and legs. But she not dead.

How was a knife able to take out her eye but bullets don’t work on her?

What did storm front say in German as she laid on the ground after being wounded?

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    In fairness, they never said Stormfront was dead. It's possible she survived and Homelander's "held in a secure and undisclosed location" bit was the truth.

And I think the larger point was to show that the kid is probably more powerful even than his father.
    Last edited by gwhh; 10-11-2020 at 09:29 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    Bullets are never shown repelling against her eyes, so it's not an issue of breaking cannon that a knife works against the eye because it was never established before that her eyes were super-strong.

The show has consistently established that the supers have powers but they don't always have the required secondary powers. Homelander can fly, but he can't carry a plane and reroute it midflight because he needs to stand his feet on solid ground to be able to do that. The Toad guy spits acid that melts people's faces but his own face isn't immune to his powers.

Stormlander is super strong and bullet proof but that extends to her skin and not soft tissue.

There, next question.

Ultimate Member

Ask Kevlar

Intermediary

and I love that the Neuman in the show is a total 180 from Vic the Veep in the books

Quote Originally Posted by gorosaurus View Post
    So bullets can't hurt Stormfront, but a knife can?
    I would have thought it was Stormfront's electrical powers which were deflecting bullets. I don't recall a bullet bouncing off of her skin, but I don't recall every moment of the show.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I would have thought it was Stormfront's electrical powers which were deflecting bullets. I don't recall a bullet bouncing off of her skin, but I don't recall every moment of the show.
    Basic durability and super strength is part of the Compound V package. Starlight is the same way and she doesn't have the type of powers that would justify having it.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Basic durability and super strength is part of the Compound V package. Starlight is the same way and she doesn't have the type of powers that would justify having it.
    Thanks, that does make sense. I do recall Starlight having that.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

What did storm front say in German as she laid on the ground after being wounded?
    "It was so beautiful. How the three of us sat there, in the shade of an apple tree.

Do you remember the day Frederick? Chloe's arms out of the car window. We found the perfect spot by the river, in the shade of an apple tree. It was the first time Chloe ate fresh apples. I was so happy. It was wonderful. I wanted it to never end."

Underneath it all, she's a tired old woman who wants to live in a Norman Rockwell painting, and is willing to murder everyone who would look out of place in a Norman Rockwell painting.

Last edited by MichaelC; 10-11-2020 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    When it comes to what can and cannot hurt Stormfront, there's two things to keep in mind...

- That specific injury was a nod to the comics first and foremost.
    - If you think it through, Stormfront was the "MKI" of Compound V. The idea that she would be the most "Damage Proof" supe ever seems like a coin flip. As best.

I didn't see anything wrong with Stormfront losing her eye. I mean, I usually don't expect eyes to be super durable.