Page 15 of 46 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast

Not having read the comic, (or if they follow the comic) I don't know the resolution of how they deal with Homelander. I get he is a really good villain that the writers love. But I need them to deal with him this season. I tire of shows that keep the villains going season after season after season. I fear they will just stop Stormfront and keep Homelander for more seasons.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Not having read the comic, (or if they follow the comic) I don't know the resolution of how they deal with Homelander. I get he is a really good villain that the writers love. But I need them to deal with him this season. I tire of shows that keep the villains going season after season after season. I fear they will just stop Stormfront and keep Homelander for more seasons.
    As of the most recent episode, I will say that the show is faithful to the spirit of the characters and the character arc of the comics but it's not going to take the same road as the comics to get there, if you get my meaning.

I think ultimately the show will end with the characters in the same place as the comics but it will take some lateral moves and changes to bring those characters there. And that's okay because A) Budget, B) Time, C) Resources are a thing and concising The Boys does eliminate padding.

Karl Urban's Billy Butcher is absolutely the character of the comics, and nothing we learn of him in the previous episode or see him do is out of character for Butcher in the comics.

While anything could happen?

I wouldn't get my hopes up.

Seems like they have a roughly "Five Season..."(Picture those first five seasons of Supernatural,,,) plan. It would be tough to see them dealing with Homelander this early on if it will be that short of a run.

So the Banner art of my Ps4 for The Boys has every major character on it except arguably the main character Huey. Just found that weird. I mean everyone except him is on it. Its of no significance, just found it weird. Loving the show so far..

The scene where Maeve is said to be bisexual, but the movie people insist she claim to be homosexual reminded me of Legends of Tomorrow. Sara was originally bisexual, but a producer wanted her retconned into being homosexual. Which pissed off a lot of her fans, and offended many bisexuals. So they eventually went back to her being bisexual.

Mighty Member

Considering the parallels between Homelander and Butcher, I don't expect Homelander to be going anywhere, certainly not anytime soon. It would be surprising, shocking even. But it would do the show a disservice, I think.

I also don't think it's fair to call Homelander a villain, at least in terms of his role on the show. (Obviously, in terms of his actions and moral alignment, his villainy is without question.) But he's, structurally, much more of a co-lead, alongside Butcher, than he is just a a villain.

Not to mention the question of how you top him. He's Superman. Once you've beaten Superman, what's left? I suppose you could try to shift the narrative and make Vought the principle antagonist, but really, Homelander should be the series' endgame. He's the final boss, not a minion.

Ultimate Member

So that Homelander/Stormfront scene. Yeah, I was kind of expecting it to happen at some point, yet it still kind of caught me off-guard a bit.

Also not so subtle Joss Whedon reference there as well.

She's clever at the dogwhistling.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post

She's clever at the dogwhistling.
    Yep.

The producers are actually being very clever here and subtle. But dig a little deeper and it's very clear exactly what Stormfront.

What's scary about it is just how true to life stuff like this. People think racists and nazis are guys that just go around making stupid hand signs, it's much, much more insidious and coded than that.

I get what people are saying about the long Butcher/Homelander ark. I just hope it doesn't feel like treading water for a season or two until we get to the end. I suppose the Stormfront story will help. I think I am reacting to shows like the Flash, with season long Big Bads that stretch things out with static episodes. But of course The Boys is nothing like the CW shows. It's an anti-super hero story.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

The latest episode felt a bit like a letdown but everything with Butcher was great, and wonderful to see Butcher and Terror.

Stuff I liked:
    -- The dynamic between Edgar and Black Noir is really interesting. Obviously Black Noir is privy to stuff about Homelander that the rest of the 7 isn't, and he's directly in Edgar's pocket the way nobody is.
    -- The parody of Snyder-Whedon's Justice League feels...meh.I mean I felt it could have had more of a mean spirit.
    -- The scene between A-Train and Stormfront is wonderfully acted by both.

Stuff I am iffy about:
    -- Starlight as mole for Hughie. It's a little unbelievable.
    -- Turning Newman from the comics' version of a Dubya Bush parody to an AOC spoof feels dubious and clickbait-y, because it's shallow as political critique and satire and without substance (people criticize Ennis for this, but credit-where-it's-due, his political stuff is a little informed and specific) and can go south real soon real fast. I have suspicions about where it could go with it, and I don't like it.

I get that Newman is a stand in for AOC. But I don't think she has been wrong about anything she has said. I don't see her as an negative depiction, within the parody that this show is for everything from corporate culture to social media to consumerism.

Ultimate Member

I don't know the background production stuff but this entire series seems to be tailored towards a "all at once" release like the previous season.

Breaking up into weekly episodes can make for some awkward pacing. I enjoyed this week's episode but it was a bit slower than the previous ones.

BANNED

I get that Newman is a stand in for AOC. But I don't think she has been wrong about anything she has said. I don't see her as an negative depiction, within the parody that this show is for everything from corporate culture to social media to consumerism.
    Well given the broad style the show is going for so far, eventually they are going to make Neuman a corrupt politician and/or victim, because The Boys isn't really built for showing institutions at work, or about people getting in to reform the system with real values.

Eventually Homelander or whoever will make a deal with her or something to show how they co-opt her too.

There's also the fact that the entire protest rally and event is staged similar to the rally that Stormfront did in the last episode. So it's kind of making it seem like they're both similar which also fits with the noxious "both sides are the same" Southpark mentality.

At the very least, Ennis made it clear that The Boys operated in a neoliberal and neoconservative world and openly showed characters in that world and ideology.

I did not see Homelander and Stormfront hooking up like that
    Hilarious how AOC already has a stand in for the concerned liberal congresswoman