Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default THE BOYS on Amazon Prime

I like superheroes. I have Amazon Prime.

This looks interesting.

Not familiar at all with the source material.

Looks like ....

"Plainclothes Batfam beating up evil Justice League".

Worth watching?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I binge the whole season last night. It is worth watching. The heroes in that show are some vile pieces of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I binge the whole season last night. It is worth watching. The heroes in that show are some vile pieces of crap.
    You watched 8 straight hours? You have a stronger constitution than me, my friend.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    That's all I needed to know to understand it's not for me. Thanks for the heads up.

Glad others like it though and hope it goes strong.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just watched the first two episodes. Man, that’s some wild and crazy stuff!
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Watching episode one I like it so far. Not familar with the comic at all.

Seem people talk about the heroes having redeeming qualities. Well not so far lol maybe they get more depth later on.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 07-28-2019 at 05:14 PM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post

Seem people talk about the heroes having redeeming qualities. Well not so far lol maybe they get more depth later on.
    The heroes end up being a lot more grey later on. Think of it like this, imagine if in the real world actual flawed people got super powers and it enahanced all their best and worse qualities and they have a severe lack of accountability

I'd guess that some of the folks saying that are probably those that are familiar with the comic.

The series is The Care Bears when you put it up against the comics.

Spectacular Member

Compared to the comic series this is true. I've read that Ennis was done with superhero comics when he wrote the Boys and wanted to do something completely opposite of what DC/Marvel were doing with their universes. So in the Boys comic series not only are nearly all superheroes completely amoral, selfish, psychopaths, but there are also largely incompetent and really don't know how to use their powers to fight or to save anyone. So far the Seven can at least fight and seem to have at least a little humanity and complexity compared to the moustache twirling villains they were in the comics.

Compared to the comics, I actually like Butcher (slightly) better in the Amazon show. In the TV series only the Female has superpowers (so far) while in the comics all of the Boys had super strength and some degree of invulnerability. This ups the ante on the danger the Boys face in standing up to the "supes". Also in the TV series Butcher isn't a amoral machiavellian genius 20 steps ahead of everyone else, which makes the Amazon version slightly more relatable IMO. Also the TV Butcher doesn't (at least yet) want to commit wholesale genocide on all "supes" as his comic counterpart did.

I loved the Boys series, but other than Hughie and maybe MM I would be hard pressed to say I liked any of the characters in the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

I like superheroes. I have Amazon Prime.

This looks interesting.

Not familiar at all with the source material.

Looks like ....

"Plainclothes Batfam beating up evil Justice League".

Worth watching?
    Unless you have some sort of an incredibly seriously loyalty to Kripke, you are going to want to steer clear of this.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I read the comic and liked it, but have no idea how closely this show keeps to that story. It's Garth Ennis black comedy at its blackest. I'll certainly give it a look.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I read the comic and liked it, but have no idea how closely this show keeps to that story. It's Garth Ennis black comedy at its blackest. I'll certainly give it a look.
    I've only read the first TPB of the series so I don't know how close it is overall but the concept remains the same. From what I recall the important scene with Starlight joining the Seven is still there though I think its with a different member of the Seven. Also the TV series apparently doesn't have Terror in it. He's glimpsed in flashback once but I imagine Terror's actions from the comics would be a bit too over the top for television, even on a platform that allows adult stuff. Beyond that the characters seem the same in concept if not quite look.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I've only read the first TPB of the series so I don't know how close it is overall but the concept remains the same. From what I recall the important scene with Starlight joining the Seven is still there though I think its with a different member of the Seven. Also the TV series apparently doesn't have Terror in it. He's glimpsed in flashback once but I imagine Terror's actions from the comics would be a bit too over the top for television, even on a platform that allows adult stuff. Beyond that the characters seem the same in concept if not quite look.
    It's member's in the comic.

That seems to be where they toned it down.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I never read the book but I'm familiar with Garth Ennis work. This show tones things down and dials back. Some of the heroes have redeeming qualities and Ennis doesn't do that with his villains.

Extraordinary Member

The last episode pretty much guarantees they can’t follow the rest of the comics