Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    I can see them going for genocide, but maybe not much more than that (if there even can be more, anyway). At that point, he'd pretty much be Hitler, though, and I would think they would have to kill him off then.
    If there's only two seasons left, that means there's only about sixteen episodes left. I can easily envision a storyline to that effect taking place during the remainder of the series, ending in Homelander's death in or near the final episode.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jack The Tripper View Post
    I don’t know, it just felt a bit weak to me in that regard. BUT I still enjoyed the season overall, and it was probably the most engaging so far! If it wasn’t for the finale it would be an almost perfect season for me!
    In the end, it didn't feel too consequential for the reasons you stated. Also, they undermined so many of the assumptions that we've been building up to the entire series. Some of these changes are small and some aren't, but this would have fixed the season for me:

• In the 3v1 fight in the penultimate episode, when SB&HL, Butcher&HL and then all three were fighting in the background (i.e., we were seeing it from another's perspective), they could have blurred them to indicate they were moving at incredible speeds (also, more environmental damage should have occurred). This would have cost a fraction of the SFX budget and gone a long way to maintain previous statements about power levels.
    • Similarly, in the same fight, they needed to rework that scene where the three were holding down HL. They had no leverage. It was just their body weight. Even if they had leverage, whatever they were bracing against should have crumbled like dust with HL pushing against it. An easy fix would have been Butcher holding HL with some type of immobilizing grappling hold that HL broke just in time.
    • The easiest: Maeve should have juiced up on V just before her Homelander fight. That would have allowed previous statements she made alluding to HL being significantly stronger than her to remain valid.
    • Noir was done so so dirty. He should have survived HL's attack and entered the fight to be the one to jump out the window with SB. It could have been helping Maeve (maybe both of them do it), but he deserved a better ending.
    • SB should have died.
    • Maeve should have died.
    • A-Train should have died, especially since the redemption arc is absolutely not working with that guy.
    • The Chekhov's Guns were ridiculous. The V left on the sidestand. The Boys finding out about the music triggering SB. The Boys finding out about the gas that would work on SB. There were so many that it had to be intentional. If it was an inside joke, it just didn't work.
    • At the end, HL was reduced to pretty much a joke, which seriously hurts the narrative we've been invested in for two seasons. Don't get me wrong ... he's an evil POS ... but he's no longer a real threat. Maybe Ryan will be, but when? And how? And can we trust the allusion that he will be? The writers are no longer trustworthy (see previous bullet).

Of course, I'll give the next season a chance whenever it comes out, but I have to say that I'm not really looking forward to it.

Ultimate Member

I'm just wondering, am I the only one who gets the dark humor in the fact that Maeve threw away that nerve agent they were gonna use? That somewhere out there in the Boys' verse, there's a perfume bottle filled with a Russian nerve agent?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I'm just wondering, am I the only one who gets the dark humor in the fact that Maeve threw away that nerve agent they were gonna use? That somewhere out there in the Boys' verse, there's a perfume bottle filled with a Russian nerve agent?
    You think the bottle didn’t break?

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    You think the bottle didn’t break?
    Depends where it landed, and was packaged.

This is what I was referring to, though

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...charlie-rowley

This is what I was referring to, though

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...charlie-rowley
    Ah. /10char

Jeffrey Dean Morgan Joins The Boys Season 4 in a Recurring Role

What are the odds this secret role is Soldier Boy's dad in flashbacks?

I'm hoping he plays their version of Tek Knight.

Also, not for nothing, but there are so many supes in this universe, at this point I want to see what they're doing, what they're feeling about all this, etc. They can't all be corporate A-holes and/or degenerates. It's coming across as simplistic storytelling if they only focus on the handful of supes we know.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 08-25-2022 at 04:45 PM.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I'm hoping he plays their version of Tek Knight.

Also, not for nothing, but there are so many supes in this universe, at this point I want to see what they're doing, what they're feeling about all this, etc. They can't all be corporate A-holes and/or degenerates. It's coming across as simplistic storytelling if they only focus on the handful of supes we know.
    If they stay true to the source material, yes, every single superhero will be corporate A-holes and/or degenerates.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Alpha View Post
    If they stay true to the source material, yes, every single superhero will be corporate A-holes and/or degenerates.
    But this show has been about more nuanced, character-based storytelling and broke from the comic at the get-go. Now that it's a successful show, they can expand their scope to create more nuance to the "supes are A-holes" premise we've seen since the first ep. It's beginning to get repetitive for me, so I'm just hoping for something different. (Supersonic and a few others seem like they might be regular good people with powers, but they are never given any spotlight)

Astonishing Member

I wrote an article on the realism of The Boys and how something like it can happen:

https://subatomicviewer.wordpress.co...ys-can-happen/

Basically, if science and technology gets to a place where it can mimic superpowers but is privatized, then you more-or-less have a situation no fundamentally different than with Vought.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 04-30-2023 at 06:08 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    I wrote an article on the realism of The Boys and how something like it can happen:

https://subatomicviewer.wordpress.co...ys-can-happen/

Basically, if science and technology gets to a place where it can mimic superpowers but is privatized, then you more-or-less have a situation no fundamentally different than with Vought.
    As much as I enjoy the series, there's nothing realistic about the series.

If it were possible to create a formula that could give people powers, no way would the government allow it to remain in the hands of a corporation exclusively.

No way in hell would it not be targeted by literally every other government on the planet.

The government would take it, perfect it, and apply it to their army. And things would go bad...

Extraordinary Member

If it were possible to create a formula that could give people powers, no way would the government allow it to remain in the hands of a corporation exclusively.

No way in hell would it not be targeted by literally every other government on the planet.

The government would take it, perfect it, and apply it to their army. And things would go bad...
    Also pretty much every powerful person would take it just so they had some protection and wouldn't be at the whims of the celebrities Vought was pumping out.

Astonishing Member

Government and corporations work together all the time, though. Typically, the government discovers something in the public sector and eventually gives it to the private sector for profit. That's more or less how the military industrial complex works, right?

I should have been clearer that I was referring to the dangers of something like that falling into the hands of powerful people in general, not just corporations (like with automation and AI). That includes if a government uses it for their army and to crack down on dissent. Yeah, that would be bad too.

What gave it away? Flying people? Lasers shot out of the eyes? Superhuman strength? Invisible people? Speed of Sound runners? oh, Govt and a corporation working together was just too far???