Page 1 of 46 1234511 ... LastLast

Default THE BOYS on Amazon Prime

I like superheroes. I have Amazon Prime.

This looks interesting.

Not familiar at all with the source material.

Looks like ....

"Plainclothes Batfam beating up evil Justice League".

Worth watching?

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I binge the whole season last night. It is worth watching. The heroes in that show are some vile pieces of crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I binge the whole season last night. It is worth watching. The heroes in that show are some vile pieces of crap.
    You watched 8 straight hours? You have a stronger constitution than me, my friend.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post

I like superheroes. I have Amazon Prime.

This looks interesting.

Not familiar at all with the source material.

Looks like ....

"Plainclothes Batfam beating up evil Justice League".

Worth watching?
    Unless you have some sort of an incredibly seriously loyalty to Kripke, you are going to want to steer clear of this.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I read the comic and liked it, but have no idea how closely this show keeps to that story. It's Garth Ennis black comedy at its blackest. I'll certainly give it a look.

I've watched the first four episodes so far and I really enjoying it.

The concept is basically what if the Justice League were a bunch of dickwads and a group of normal folks tried to take them out for their lack of regard for human life. In an opening scene we see a woman get accidentally blown to pieces by a speedster and her boyfriend who had been holding her is then recruited to help destroy the supers.

I'm only somewhat familiar with the comic series but its apparent the TV version while over the top at times is vastly toned down from the comic. Most of the supers while being dickwads at least have some redeeming qualities and aren't the mustache twirling caricatures they are portrayed as in the comics. Basically think Jamie Lannister from Game of Thrones (If you've seen it) - they do vile things but also have their own weird senses of honor to sometimes do the right things.

Its also hilarious as well in a that is so wrong its funny type of way. There is a scene with a Dolphin in episode four that was hilarious in a very black humor sort of way.

Quote Originally Posted by AndrewCrossett View Post
    I read the comic and liked it, but have no idea how closely this show keeps to that story. It's Garth Ennis black comedy at its blackest. I'll certainly give it a look.
    I've only read the first TPB of the series so I don't know how close it is overall but the concept remains the same. From what I recall the important scene with Starlight joining the Seven is still there though I think its with a different member of the Seven. Also the TV series apparently doesn't have Terror in it. He's glimpsed in flashback once but I imagine Terror's actions from the comics would be a bit too over the top for television, even on a platform that allows adult stuff. Beyond that the characters seem the same in concept if not quite look.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    In an opening scene we see a woman get accidentally blown to pieces by a speedster and her boyfriend who had been holding her is then recruited to help destroy the supers.
    Heh... I was on Darick Robertson's forum when that comic came out and remember that the doomed girl was modeled after Mary Brickthrower, one of the prominent members of the forum. Wee Hughie was based on Simon Pegg, of course, and Darick hoped he would play him in the adaptation. Too much time passed, though.

I never read the book but I'm familiar with Garth Ennis work. This show tones things down and dials back. Some of the heroes have redeeming qualities and Ennis doesn't do that with his villains.

Heh... I was on Darick Robertson's forum when that comic came out and remember that the doomed girl was modeled after Mary Brickthrower, one of the prominent members of the forum. Wee Hughie was based on Simon Pegg, of course, and Darick hoped he would play him in the adaptation. Too much time passed, though.
    Simon Pegg appears in the show as Hughie's dad.

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I've only read the first TPB of the series so I don't know how close it is overall but the concept remains the same. From what I recall the important scene with Starlight joining the Seven is still there though I think its with a different member of the Seven. Also the TV series apparently doesn't have Terror in it. He's glimpsed in flashback once but I imagine Terror's actions from the comics would be a bit too over the top for television, even on a platform that allows adult stuff. Beyond that the characters seem the same in concept if not quite look.
    It's member's in the comic.

That seems to be where they toned it down.

Extraordinary Member

The last episode pretty much guarantees they can’t follow the rest of the comics

What's not to like? The effects and acting are decent.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The last episode pretty much guarantees they can’t follow the rest of the comics
    The finale is one hell of a mind blower. How can Butcher even begin to process that?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The finale is one hell of a mind blower. How can Butcher even begin to process that?
    That has to be literally the most earth shattering revelation if you are a character like that