Page 13 of 46 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I appreciate that they're presenting a more hidden form of racism that relates to what we encounter in daily life.
    I'm glad they kept the racism of her character because so often in adaptations, at least in previous times, the tendency and temptation would be to dial down and remove those elements. So it's a big deal that they kept those elements and made it direct and unambiguous.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Yeah, if you don't know the comic's version's history, you can easily be fooled into thinking she's a good-guy until that final scene. It's only then that she gets exposed as someone who is even more evil than Homelander, and better at hiding it. Homelander's mask slips a lot. He can barely contain that he's a monster. Stormfront is completely invisible until she's in complete control, and then she's a horror.
    Yeah they did a good job in swerving her character. She's saying all the right things and then it's like wtf???? Didn't see that coming.

For a minute I really thought The Deep was going to take down the Boys and prove himself to the 7. The shark attack plus using a whale to block them was all really impressive ... and then ... yeah, that was nasty.

BANNED

The new episode came out this morning. There was also a Short film that came earlier.

To be honest, I kind of hope the short goes non-canon, because it makes Butcher beyond redemption...though that might be the point.

The new episode this morning shows that Kripke while making some changes and alterations mostly does align to the spirit of Ennis' story and the character arcs. So that part is reassuring.

Lol saw reviews that called Stormfront an Alt right superhero. I'm watching the first 3 episodes and I'm thinking she's from Portland and Seattle. She's anti corporations and seems more like a far left feminist. Then the the last 15mins of episode 3 happen and it all made sense lol.

Black Noir and Emiko seem very similar too. Slight super strength, they both seem to heal fast, and they are both mute.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Lol saw reviews that called Stormfront an Alt right superhero. I'm watching the first 3 episodes and I'm thinking she's from Portland and Seattle. She's anti corporations and seems more like a far left feminist. Then the the last 15mins of episode 3 happen and it all made sense lol.

Black Noir and Emiko seem very similar too. Slight super strength, they both seem to heal fast, and they are both mute.
    She does tell Homelander that she adapted to the times. She could have adapted being a leftist without changing her core beliefs.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    She does tell Homelander that she adapted to the times. She could have adapted being a leftist without changing her core beliefs.
    Leftist persona is a front and her actions at the end of episode 3 was the real her. On top of what she does to a certain character all the collateral damage seemed to be people of color. I dont know if that was just because rhey neighborhood they were in or if she woulda done the same thing to random white people

BANNED

Leftist persona is a front and her actions at the end of episode 3 was the real her. On top of what she does to a certain character all the collateral damage seemed to be people of color. I dont know if that was just because rhey neighborhood they were in or if she woulda done the same thing to random white people
    Latest episode makes that aspect unambiguous certainly.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Latest episode makes that aspect unambiguous certainly.
    Ok thanks gonna watch tonight.

Amazing Member

It would be nice to have an episode that doesn't feature a Billy Joel song.

Mighty Member

She's a racist who plays at pretend populism to attract followers and wants to stoke fear in order to keep people in line. Yeah, I'd say alt-right is a fair assessment.

It was clever the way the show has been slowly peeling back the layers on the character, introducing her and then twisting her around so the audience can see the reality of what she is hiding under the clever social media facade.

Given the way the character was handled in the comic (as a man instead of a woman, no less), and the time frame from the reveal in episode 4, I'm wondering if we're going to get the same explicit connection her ideology begs for that the comics presents. I hope so. Let's go hardcore on the villainy. She's even more fun than Homelander right now.

Incredible Member

Funny how the default caricature of a "racist" is either alt-right or right-wing, when the Left can be just as racist. The difference? One is not as obvious as the other, and one is just as dismissive of people of color as the other.

I see Stormfront as a anti-corporate, anti-elite "racist", neither "right" nor "left". She is definitely a feminist and a populist, in the sense that she believes in individual empowerment; classic turn of the century "progressive". Unfortunately, her racism is steeped in the fact that she is "old", and probably grew up during a time when it was okay to be a racist, even if she was "progressive".

But we'll see how Stormfront is depicted, in the coming episodes.

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post
    Funny how the default caricature of a "racist" is either alt-right or right-wing, when the Left can be just as racist. The difference? One is not as obvious as the other, and one is just as dismissive of people of color as the other.

I see Stormfront as a anti-corporate, anti-elite "racist", neither "right" nor "left". She is definitely a feminist and a populist, in the sense that she believes in individual empowerment; classic turn of the century "progressive". Unfortunately, her racism is steeped in the fact that she is "old", and probably grew up during a time when it was okay to be a racist, even if she was "progressive".

Exactly. Calling her "alt-right" is missing the point. She represents the worst hypocrisy/fakeness of the left (a literal feminazi), just as Homelander is that for Conservatives.

Astonishing Member

Let's start with her name: Stormfront - thats the title of a prominent, infamous Alt-Right/white supremacist website. The Nazis have a big following in Portland. Being anti-corporate isn't strictly being left wing. Neo-Nazi women who value their agency in those movement in exist in the real world, and she's able to highlight this as positive in public like Homelander pretends to care about being a nice human being for his image. She may secretly not think that Feminism applies to women who aren't white but she's not going to broadcast it.

Also, look how she treated to Black people in her vicinity during a fight. Murdered them all for no reason.

Neither are shown to be racist in their personas or methods, though. They're just amoral killers. Noir is kind of like Deadpool.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dswynne View Post

That's exactly what I was thinking as well.