Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

The finale was all kinds of crazy

spoilers:
    I'm severely disappointed that Butcher decided to put Ryan in Mallory custody than raise him. There is so much potential to mine if Butcher took the kid in. Having to struggle with the kid being the son of his mortal enemy and being a supe while wanting to honor Becca dying wish. There so much good stuff there and it feels like they took the easy way out by having him hand over Ryan to Mallory.

We'll get Homelander being driven over the edge just like comic. Only this time is having Edgar betray him being the catalyst. Not gonna lie, it's gonna feel cathartic seeing him self destruct.
    end of spoilers

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The finale was all kinds of crazy

spoilers:
    I'm severely disappointed that Butcher decided to put Ryan in Mallory custody than raise him. There is so much potential to mine if Butcher took the kid in. Having to struggle with the kid being the son of his mortal enemy and being a supe while wanting to honor Becca dying wish. There so much good stuff there and it feels like they took the easy way out by having him hand over Ryan to Mallory.

We'll get Homelander being driven over the edge just like comic. Only this time is having Edgar betray him being the catalyst. Not gonna lie, it's gonna feel cathartic seeing him self destruct.
    end of spoilers
    While true.... having a spoilers:
    kid
    end of spoilers hanging around is going to stretch credibility

Incredible Member

Did Starlight kill anyone in the comics version of the boys? I can't remember if she did or not!

Mighty Member

They managed to surprise me several times in the season finale. Not necessarily in huge, earth shattering ways, and at least once by playing it completely safe rather than being bold and purposeful, but still. That feels like a rare commodity on television these days.

That last reveal though. Where is that going? Such an understated way to set up whatever is next, and yet it completely hooked me.

Very much looking forward to season 3 when it makes it's appearance, hopefully next year.

BANNED

That was a great season finale. Some of the doubts and issues I had is somewhat resolved.

Given the obvious fact that Season 3 is gonna take a while owing to pandemic delays and so on, this was a terrific close. All the story and character beats from Season 1 got resolved, and we now have a new status-quo for 3, one that looks to be closer to the comics.

spoilers:
    I see that they have merged Comics!Black Noir with the Kid...in terms of him being a contingency and insurance.

Stormfront's death was incredibly satisfying, as was her beatdown by Maeve, Starlight, Kimiko...which alludes to the beatdown Comics!Stormfront got at the hands of a Russian, Englishman, American, Frenchman (because Ennis ain't subtle).

Aya Cash's hilarious miling of the "white genocide" thing is amazing. Pitch perfect.

As for Victoria Neuman, well one of my issues with making her an AOC stand-in is that eventually she'll have to grow evil, and we see that here with her being the head exploding secret supe. Granted that was a cool twist, didn't see that coming, and I guess I'd prefer this character to be a supervillain rather than merely corrupt.

Becca's death was suitably sad as was the big internal conflict Butcher had, but obviously his story isn't headed towards redemption as is clear by the bad choice he made at the end.
    end of spoilers.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    That was a great season finale. Some of the doubts and issues I had is somewhat resolved.

Given the obvious fact that Season 3 is gonna take a while owing to pandemic delays and so on, this was a terrific close. All the story and character beats from Season 1 got resolved, and we now have a new status-quo for 3, one that looks to be closer to the comics.

spoilers:
    I see that they have merged Comics!Black Noir with the Kid...in terms of him being a contingency and insurance.

Stormfront's death was incredibly satisfying, as was her beatdown by Maeve, Starlight, Kimiko...which alludes to the beatdown Comics!Stormfront got at the hands of a Russian, Englishman, American, Frenchman (because Ennis ain't subtle).

Aya Cash's hilarious miling of the "white genocide" thing is amazing. Pitch perfect.

As for Victoria Neuman, well one of my issues with making her an AOC stand-in is that eventually she'll have to grow evil, and we see that here with her being the head exploding secret supe. Granted that was a cool twist, didn't see that coming, and I guess I'd prefer this character to be a supervillain rather than merely corrupt.

Becca's death was suitably sad as was the big internal conflict Butcher had, but obviously his story isn't headed towards redemption as is clear by the bad choice he made at the end.
    end of spoilers.
    spoilers:
    While it was certainly a callback to the comic, what really stuck out to me was just how shamelessly it lifted a bit right from the end of Death Proof
    end of spoilers

As for the show, I still just can't suspend disbelief when it comes to Butcher/MM/Frenchie/Hughie not being half past dead when they come up against any supe.

They make Sam and Dean Winchester look like Charlie Brown trying to kick a football.

Yeah, them surviving Stormfront's attack long enough for the Girl Power Trio to get on her seemed improbable to say the least. The Trio should have been avenging corpses.

Extraordinary Member

Basically at some point they are going to need to go the comic route and take compound v

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

I hope the boys never touch compound v. I want to see more tactical combat strategies from them. Like how rigged all those portable speakers to mess with homelander super hearing. More of that please.

Yeah, them not having powers makes the metahumans much more horrific. Even goofyass Deep is a horror if you are on a boat. A nightmare who can make all the creatures of the water from piranhas to whales to giant squids swarm you with a thought.

spoilers:
    Lol so I guess AOC gonna be the bad guy.... also whatever Black Noirs deal is we ain't gonna know for another season unfortunately.
    end of spoilers

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    spoilers:
    Lol so I guess AOC gonna be the bad guy.... also whatever Black Noirs deal is we ain't gonna know for another season unfortunately.
    end of spoilers
    In the comics, Victor Newman, was A) a guy, B) a Dubya Bush parody, C) Vice President.

They radically reconfigured the satire and now they are punching down with that rather than up. So that's why I have issues about this.

But hey, the good news is that Season 3 is going to be quite delayed. By that time, who knows what the political climate will be.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    I hope the boys never touch compound v. I want to see more tactical combat strategies from them. Like how rigged all those portable speakers to mess with homelander super hearing. More of that please.
    Agreed, though they don't have much in the comics to draw from in that regard.

It reminds me of the series that inspired/ripped off by The Boys, Stormwatch Team Achilles. They were just regular special forces guys up against superhumans. Great series, shame the writer went all 'stolen valor'.

Astonishing Member gonnagiveittoya's Avatar

I still think that spoilers:
    Black Noir is Soldier Boy
    end of spoilers myself

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by gonnagiveittoya View Post
    I still think that spoilers:
    Black Noir is Soldier Boy
    end of spoilers myself
    You know I think you are on to something. The original Soldier Boy from World War II being a black guy experimented on (a la Tuskegee) could be where they go with him on the show.

Especially since Ryan is set up with Comics!Black Noir's ultimate role in the comic story.