Page 26 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1622232425262728293036 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gwhh View Post
    If they are going to start geing V to First Repsondes and Soilders. But we already know that human adults that get it as adults. Have a 90% failure/death rate. Has vought found a way to overcome this problem?
    I doubt it. Considering how frantic and rushed the decision was after the congress hearing I doubt the feds cared about the success rate.

I feel like the girls should have taken out Stormfront if for no other reason than she already took a long blast of heat vision from Homelander and survived just fine. I guess they needed a way to kill Butchers wife?

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tony View Post
    I feel like the girls should have taken out Stormfront if for no other reason than she already took a long blast of heat vision from Homelander and survived just fine. I guess they needed a way to kill Butchers wife?
    In fairness, they never said Stormfront was dead. It's possible she survived and Homelander's "held in a secure and undisclosed location" bit was the truth.

And I think the larger point was to show that the kid is probably more powerful even than his father.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBG82 View Post
    In fairness, they never said Stormfront was dead. It's possible she survived and Homelander's "held in a secure and undisclosed location" bit was the truth.

And I think the larger point was to show that the kid is probably more powerful even than his father.
    Yeah, though were we supposed to think that Homelander went all out when he blasted Stormfront with his heat vision?

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Yeah, though were we supposed to think that Homelander went all out when he blasted Stormfront with his heat vision?
    The way Homelander uses his heat vision doesn't make me believe he can control it's power level.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Have folks just not read the comics?

Like, at all?

Did anyone really think that the "Vic The Veep" analog would just turn up actually that dumb and actually that Republican?
    Yeah. Because irl, Republicans are that dumb and that Republican in fact, as the Rose Garden Massacre proves.

If you change a caricature of a Republican fratboy into one of a progressive house democrat, from someone who was an old money WASP rich kid to a working-class daughter of immigrants in the Bronx...and make that character a villain and a fraud, then I think people have a right to ask questions about the bill of goods you are selling. Obviously Season 3 will explore this fully, but if they make Neumann some Vought agent and corrupt and hypocrite all along, then I will be disappointed with that because that's not any different.

That is the definition of a satire punching down. Ennis can be critical of left-wingers but he never crossed this line.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Yeah. Because irl, Republicans are that dumb and that Republican in fact, as the Rose Garden Massacre proves.

If you change a caricature of a Republican fratboy into one of a progressive house democrat, from someone who was an old money WASP rich kid to a working-class daughter of immigrants in the Bronx...and make that character a villain and a fraud, then I think people have a right to ask questions about the bill of goods you are selling. Obviously Season 3 will explore this fully, but if they make Neumann some Vought agent and corrupt and hypocrite all along, then I will be disappointed with that because that's not any different.

That is the definition of a satire punching down. Ennis can be critical of left-wingers but he never crossed this line.
    Ennis never had a chance to approach that line in The Boys.

Have you seen his James Bond parody? Confused Grandpa is the kindest description one could give

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Ennis never had a chance to approach that line in The Boys.

Have you seen his James Bond parody? Confused Grandpa is the kindest description one could give
    Ennis is politically weird (which makes sense since he was raised Catholic, turned atheist, and is a Northern Irish Unionist despite his Catholic ethnicity which makes him quite unique) but he's never out and out attacked progressive people and made them out to be inherently fraudulent. He shows them as being somewhat naive, forceful and so on but he never ridicules the beliefs and opinions itself. Making Victoria outright evil and a fraud is doing that, especially given the person she's pattern off of. The Boys comics is quite respectful to gay rights and shows homosexual characters fairly and sympathetically in the early part of the run. His current Dear Becky series has a respectful take on a trans character.

Taking a Dubya Bush parody and caricature and turning it into an AOC demonization implies a shallow understanding of politics. There's a huge level of difference between a middle aged WASP rich kid son of an ex Potus who got America involved in an illegal war (and so has done and represents actual politics that are worth caricature and criticism) and a working class daughter of immigrants who is up for re-election after her first term in the House of Representatives. What's the political message being conveyed there?

Ultimate Member

Ennis is politically weird (which makes sense since he was raised Catholic, turned atheist, and is a Northern Irish Unionist despite his Catholic ethnicity which makes him quite unique) but he's never out and out attacked progressive people and made them out to be inherently fraudulent. He shows them as being somewhat naive, forceful and so on but he never ridicules the beliefs and opinions itself. Making Victoria outright evil and a fraud is doing that, especially given the person she's pattern off of. The Boys comics is quite respectful to gay rights and shows homosexual characters fairly and sympathetically in the early part of the run. His current Dear Becky series has a respectful take on a trans character.

Taking a Dubya Bush parody and caricature and turning it into an AOC demonization implies a shallow understanding of politics. There's a huge level of difference between a middle aged WASP rich kid son of an ex Potus who got America involved in an illegal war (and so has done and represents actual politics that are worth caricature and criticism) and a working class daughter of immigrants who is up for re-election after her first term in the House of Representatives. What's the political message being conveyed there?
    Again, read his Bond parody. It has 'Gender Fluid' which reverses the sex of anyone who it touches and ends with a joke about 'So much for the tolerant left'.

All that aside, I'd rather wait to see where this goes before dropping any hammer. I'd hate to think that we're so in deep with symbolism that we can't still do cliffhangers.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    The way Homelander uses his heat vision doesn't make me believe he can control it's power level.
    He clearly has some control. He melted a gun into a guy's hand, and with Stormfront, did increase the intensity of his beams.

He lacks concern, not control, IMO.

We'll just have to see where they go with it. And while the show is making allusions to people in real life, doesn't mean they're talking about that person. Perhaps just the image of that person, or that they're taking advantage of your perceptions based on real life, but it doesn't mean what you're inferring. The show is meant to be challenging, if nothing else. Keep in mind your comparisons between Dubya and AOC are subjective - you know there are wildly varying opinions on both.

Wow. So I've seen a lot of you discussing whether or not Neuman might be a Vought plant, but do you think she might be used to satirize cancel culture next season?

LMFAO at people bemoaning the false equivalency of Left Problems and Right Problems, and Neuman in the comics vs. this television adaptation of the character. The show can do whatever it wants in terms of adapting source material. It's an adaptation, and there's varying degrees of faithfulness with all adaptations. Just look at Game Of Thrones. And while I'd never say cancel culture is just as bad as white supremacy/systemic racism, both problems are still pretty fucking bad. I'd be all for The Boys examining something like cancel culture in Season 3. The Left deserves to be satirized too.
    MAGNETO was right,TONY was right, VARYS was right.

Proud member of House Ravenclaw and loyal bannerman to House Baratheon

"I am an optimist even though I am told everything I do is negative and cynical" --Armando Iannucci

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Keep in mind your comparisons between Dubya and AOC are subjective - you know there are wildly varying opinions on both.
    No it isn't subjective. Facts are facts. George Dubya Bush was an elite politician, from a rich family, and his administration was in power. In terms of ideology, background, level of power, that's entirely different from Cortez.

Replacing a character meant to satirize the former to one attacking the latter is dubious and shallow.

Quote Originally Posted by Hellion View Post
    Wow. So I've seen a lot of you discussing whether or not Neuman might be a Vought plant, but do you think she might be used to satirize cancel culture next season?
    The show is on the side of "cancel culture". The Deep got canceled and stayed canceled, as did Stormfront.

Just look at Game Of Thrones.
    Yes, let's look at Game of Thrones, indeed.

Keaton Batman get nuts.jpg

That's a show whose final season went so hard into false equivalency that it quickly became a complete laughing stock.

To the point that Seth Rogen, producer of The Boys publicly made fun of it and mocked the showrunners for ducking Comic Con.
    (https://www.esquire.com/uk/latest-ne...-at-comic-con/)

The show is on the side of "cancel culture". The Deep got canceled and stayed canceled, as did Stormfront.
    According to the head of the church of the collective, the efforts they put in to rehabilitate The Deep's image was working. The only reason reason why he didn't make it back into the seven is because there was only room for one redemption arc on the team.

Fantastic Member

[QUOTE=Revolutionary_Jack;5182835]No it isn't subjective. Facts are facts. George Dubya Bush was an elite politician, from a rich family, and his administration was in power. In terms of ideology, background, level of power, that's entirely different from Cortez.

Replacing a character meant to satirize the former to one attacking the latter is dubious and shallow.

Well yea if you're on the side of allowing nazis and sexual assaulters to flourish...I thought the head crushing was done by the shaved headed woman who escaped the prison when starlight was freed...is she this same politician or they have the same powers?