Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    I was aware of the comics when they came out and what the basic premise was. It was one I thought about picking up but never did.

I just watched the first 5 eps this weekend and WOW what a crazy show!! Absolutely loving it so far!! I will definitely track down the comics to read once I'm done with the show.

Are there plans for more seasons or is this a one-and-done kind of deal?
    Amazon announced a second season ahead of the show's premiere.

Quote Originally Posted by RickWJ324 View Post
    I was aware of the comics when they came out and what the basic premise was. It was one I thought about picking up but never did.

I just watched the first 5 eps this weekend and WOW what a crazy show!! Absolutely loving it so far!! I will definitely track down the comics to read once I'm done with the show.

Are there plans for more seasons or is this a one-and-done kind of deal?
    Word to the wise...

While it has already sort of come up, the comics are quite a bit darker than this show. While there will be some familiar elements for folks who were fans of the "Crazy...", it gets pretty dark when it turns in that direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Amazon announced a second season ahead of the show's premiere.
    Awsome!!

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    Word to the wise...

While it has already sort of come up, the comics are quite a bit darker than this show. While there will be some familiar elements for folks who were fans of the "Crazy...", it gets pretty dark when it turns in that direction.
    Yeah... I'm sure it is. I've been a fan of Ennis over the years. I don't know why I never picked up the books when they originally came out. Definitely looking forward to reading them now.

Homelander reminds me of Hydra-Cap (in appearance as well).

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Watching episode one I like it so far. Not familar with the comic at all.

Seem people talk about the heroes having redeeming qualities. Well not so far lol maybe they get more depth later on.
    Compared to the comic series this is true. I've read that Ennis was done with superhero comics when he wrote the Boys and wanted to do something completely opposite of what DC/Marvel were doing with their universes. So in the Boys comic series not only are nearly all superheroes completely amoral, selfish, psychopaths, but there are also largely incompetent and really don't know how to use their powers to fight or to save anyone. So far the Seven can at least fight and seem to have at least a little humanity and complexity compared to the moustache twirling villains they were in the comics.

Compared to the comics, I actually like Butcher (slightly) better in the Amazon show. In the TV series only the Female has superpowers (so far) while in the comics all of the Boys had super strength and some degree of invulnerability. This ups the ante on the danger the Boys face in standing up to the "supes". Also in the TV series Butcher isn't a amoral machiavellian genius 20 steps ahead of everyone else, which makes the Amazon version slightly more relatable IMO. Also the TV Butcher doesn't (at least yet) want to commit wholesale genocide on all "supes" as his comic counterpart did.

I loved the Boys series, but other than Hughie and maybe MM I would be hard pressed to say I liked any of the characters in the comics.

but isn't Butcher a baby killer?

I like the show but I'm not really a fan of them playing with kid gloves for some of the comics plot points
    Butcher's reason for being so pissed at Homelander and the Supes won't have as much kick now
    I like what they tried to do with Maeve but not with Starlight imo
    Not sure if Homelander is so bad here or just filled with psychological hangups

Quote Originally Posted by Nite-Wing View Post
    I like the show but I'm not really a fan of them playing with kid gloves for some of the comics plot points
    Butcher's reason for being so pissed at Homelander and the Supes won't have as much kick now
    ??? uhh, he's a monster in the classical sense. he definitely has the psychological hangups of a raging fascistic narcissist. but i don't think that they humanize him much. that's my two cents.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Watkins View Post
    ??? uhh, he's a monster in the classical sense. he definitely has the psychological hangups of a raging fascistic narcissist. but i don't think that they humanize him much. that's my two cents.
    Compared to "Comics..." Homelander, this one is Mister Rogers.

Homelander is an absolute monster. His psychological issues don't excuse none of the things he does in this show. Butcher hatred of the man is absolutely justified.

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    Homelander is an absolute monster. His psychological issues don't excuse none of the things he does in this show. Butcher hatred of the man is absolutely justified.
    in the show he is a science experiment who was basically neglected and created to be the strongest hero. He has serious dependency issues and desperately wants a connection with someone. You didn't have that in the comics imo
    Butcher's hatred of him seems kinda sanitized after watching the last episode
    spoilers:

He might as well hate his wife for lying, cheating on him, and having Homelander's baby and then running off

Homelander didn't rape her and force her to have his baby like in the comic
    end of spoilers

in the show he is a science experiment who was basically neglected and created to be the strongest hero. He has serious dependency issues and desperately wants a connection with someone. You didn't have that in the comics imo
    spoilers:

He might as well hate his wife for lying, cheating on him, and having Homelander's baby and then running off

end of spoilers
    Having a sob story doesn't excuse his actions. He knew what he was doing was morally wrong and did them because it benefit him. No one loved him growing up boo f-ing woo.
    spoilers:
    That's doesn't mean he can abandon an airplane full of people to die, kill a senator willy nilly because he blackmailed his mother figure, coerce his team to do morally reprehensible actions, and being a rapist.
    end of spoilers

Homelander isn't a character that invokes sympathy.

Ultimate Member

but isn't Butcher a baby killer?
    Apparently. Hope Homelander saved the kid, although knowing the kind of person he I somehow doubt he did.

All in all, I really loved. After the Netflix stuff and Swamp Thing, this is probably my favorite comic related tv series so far.

spoilers:

end of spoilers
    thing of it is that i don't think they intend Butcher to be the hero of the story. they are just two villains going head to head. Butcher is just as much of a Frankenstein's monster on the show. or, at least, he seemed to suggest that to Mallory (i hope i got the name right). we're supposed to be focusing on Huey as the protagonist. he's the one that tried to save the others. Butcher went full ahab spoilers:
    and offed a baby in what could only be described as the pettiest of suicides
    end of spoilers(since he would have to know that it was a useless attack on Homelander).
    Last edited by Michael Watkins; 07-30-2019 at 05:51 AM.

Extraordinary Member

thing of it is that i don't think they intend Butcher to be the hero of the story. they are just two villains going head to head. Butcher is just as much of a Frankenstein's monster on the show. or, at least, he seemed to suggest that to Mallory (i hope i got the name right). we're supposed to be focusing on Huey as the protagonist. he's the one that tried to save the others. Butcher went full ahab spoilers:
    and offed a baby in what could only be described as the pettiest of suicides
    end of spoilers(since he would have to know that it was a useless attack on Homelander).
    The big thing with Butcher is he no longer had the personal tragedy motive to go after Homelander