Incredible Member

Default Secret Society of Super-Villains Appreciation Thread 2021

Originally comprised of some of DC's (at the time) obscure and/or forgotten villains, the Secret Society of Super-Villains has come a long way from it's original 70s premise. These days it's normally an excuse to make an army out of Super-Villain Community, but you can't deny it's a good army when it happens.

SSSV 1.jpg
    SSSV 2.jpg
    SSSV 3.jpg

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

I loved this coming back in the 00's and think it should always exist in some form. I'd definitely read a book dedicated to it.

It just makes sense that, while the majority of villains would ultimately be independent, there would be a powerful cabal somewhere working to contract work, offset local authorities and the Justice League, and even oppose the occasional world conqueror all for their own gain.

It's a concept that keeps coming back even in outside media like JLU or Young Justice, so why not make it a more permanent fixture?
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Incredible Member

Definitely agree with the cabal (considering how much I love the Light in "Young Justice")

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Multiverse View Post
    Originally comprised of some of DC's (at the time) obscure and/or forgotten villains, the Secret Society of Super-Villains has come a long way from it's original 70s premise. These days it's normally an excuse to make an army out of Super-Villain Community, but you can't deny it's a good army when it happens.

SSSV 1.jpg
    SSSV 2.jpg
    SSSV 3.jpg
    I really enjoyed all incarnations of the SSS, but I think that they're best when deployed occasionally rather than consistently. Too regular an appearance threatens to make them a bit ho-hum. Depending on the lineup, it also stretches credulity that such a collection of alpha psychopaths could cooperate for any length of time. That was one of the things that I thought Timm really got right about his Legion of Doom in the JLU toon.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I really enjoyed all incarnations of the SSS, but I think that they're best when deployed occasionally rather than consistently. Too regular an appearance threatens to make them a bit ho-hum. Depending on the lineup, it also stretches credulity that such a collection of alpha psychopaths could cooperate for any length of time. That was one of the things that I thought Timm really got right about his Legion of Doom in the JLU toon.
    I dunno, I think DC villains could cooperate, by in large, if the Council was strong enough.

I thought the Society from Infinite Crisis was excellent, it's a shame that it's never really been followed up on.

Spectacular Member

I always thought "The Secret Society of Super Villains" was an interchangeable name along with "The Injustice Society/League" or "The Legion of Doom" for a group of villains teaming up. Is there a difference?

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by The I.A.D.C. View Post
    I always thought "The Secret Society of Super Villains" was an interchangeable name along with "The Injustice Society/League" or "The Legion of Doom" for a group of villains teaming up. Is there a difference?
    They're each unique. The ISA was the first, and as far as I know was the original case of a bunch of villains from different titles making common cause (although the first lineups were pretty GL heavy). The Injustice Gang was a pre-crisis crew assembled by the villain Libra as part of his scheme to steal the JLmembers' abilities. The first Injustice League I recall was a post-crisis outfit Luthor put together. The Legion was originally from the 1970s Challenge of the Superfriends cartoon, although the name got reused 10 years back or so.

The SSSv first appeared in their own book in the early 1970s, and they were a really novel concept. They were assembled by Darkseid, but unwilling to be his lackies, ended up turning on him, forcing them to defend the earth, although they remained rotten to the core. Their name got sort of repurposed for the Villains United events that followed Identity Crisis, they were called The Society.
    Last edited by DrNewGod; 08-08-2021 at 11:20 AM.

I'd love DC to do a regular, ongoing SSOSV book. I want to read about the lawless, more violent character types bouncing off of each other, the design/machinations of master plans, the pratfalls along the way of executing the plan, and the fallout of when it's over, regardless of whether it was a success or not. DC obviously likes to muddy up its heroes to make them more grounded and relatable, going to extreme (re: bad) measures to do that sometimes, but they should just focus on the villains to get that kind of flawed humanity they really want to show in their characters.

I always wanted to see a series where the hero infiltrates this group and he feels conflicted due to growing attached and befriending them. Basically Donnie Brasco but without the mafia.

from Who's Who: The Definitive Directory of the DC Universe Vol. XX (October 1986)

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by atomicskull View Post
    I always wanted to see a series where the hero infiltrates this group and he feels conflicted due to growing attached and befriending them. Basically Donnie Brasco but without the mafia.
    That would be a really good setup for somebody like Roy Harper.

Astonishing Member signalman112's Avatar

Justice League of America #195-1997 has always been my favorite version of the group. Mainly because SIGNALMAN is a member.

JusticeLeagueAmerica195.jpg