Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

I started with Cap (Gruenwald). And then I wanted to read more of him, so I expanded to picking up the Avengers as well.

Bendis's New Avengers. When I saw Wolverine and Spider-Man on the team I thought to myself Marvel is finally creating an all star super team to compete with Justice League. Before then I thought the Avengers were a C-list Justice League. It wasn't until I started rereading past arc did I come to realize how awesome the Avengers were.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

It was Namor's fault.

I had picked up Defenders because I liked Namor. And shortly after, we had one of the first 'events' with the Avengers Defenders War. Of course, I had to pick up all THREE Avengers issues, which is all I needed to get the full event, back then.

This was back before Marvel developed Namor and Cap's relationship -- Invaders wasn't a book back then -- so that retcon hadn't happened.

Anyway, I enjoyed what I read and stuck with the book after the 'event.' It had interesting characters and relationships and entertaining stories. Vision and Scarlet Witch were moving along in their relationship, and shortly after we had Celestial Madonna, and then one great story line after another, with a few exceptions (Heroes Reborn), until Bendis. Unlike most in this thread, I really didn't like Bendis run and dropped the book, until Hickman.
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

When I was a kid, I saw Avengers 166. The cover had Nefaria fighting the Avengers and Thor's hammer just bouncing off his chest. That was so cool.

Avengers166_01.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    I started with Cap (Gruenwald). And then I wanted to read more of him, so I expanded to picking up the Avengers as well.
    This is how it was for me except with Iron Man. I was into Iron Man. He was in The Avengers so I begin to pick up Avengers and I love the dynamic with the team and then they became my team.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 07-30-2019 at 11:03 PM.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Incredible Member

Honestly the first time i really started paying attention to the franchise was after i played the old beat em up Captain America and the Avengers arcade game.

I had kinda read assorted Avengers issues here and there but for some reason playing that game drove me to find out more about the Avengers and their villains

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post
    Honestly the first time i really started paying attention to the franchise was after i played the old beat em up Captain America and the Avengers arcade game.

I had kinda read assorted Avengers issues here and there but for some reason playing that game drove me to find out more about the Avengers and their villains
    Lol. That’s awesome. That game is legendary. Me and my friends still talk about to this day.
    "We live in a world of cowards. We live in a world full of small minds who are afraid. We are ruled by those who refuse to risk anything of their own. Who guard their over bloated paucities of power with money. With false reasoning. With measured hesitance. With prideful, recalcitrant inaction. With hateful invective. With weapons. F@#K these selfish fools and their prevailing world order." Tony Stark

Quote Originally Posted by Marvell2100 View Post
    When I was a kid, I saw Avengers 166. The cover had Nefaria fighting the Avengers and Thor's hammer just bouncing off his chest. That was so cool.

Avengers166_01.jpg
    Cool bro. Yeah, I just read about how powerful Count Nefaria was in the Wizard Avengers guide. Of course, George Perez would end his Buseik run with the classic Avengers #34, where both the Avengers AND the Thunderbolts team up to fight him:

Quote Originally Posted by classicgmer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    Lol. That’s awesome. That game is legendary. Me and my friends still talk about to this day.
    That was a fantastic game! Played it whenever I went to a old Pizza Hut close by! Dug it because I was an Iron Man fan, but started to notice other characters like Hawkeye, Cap, and Vision:
    "I am a man of peace."

"A man of peace...who fights like ten tigers."

A copy of Avengers 110 I purchased off
    A magazine rack back in 1972

New Avengers by Bendis.

I use to only follow Spider-Man comics outside of the 90s DarkHawk and occasional Blade appearances. Then OMD happened and I jumped over to Black Panther and the Avengers.

I was never interested in Captain America or the Avengers prior to this point in time. I mean I watched some of the cartoons, but Marvel's strength at the time was Spider-Man, X-Men, Hulk, Wolverine, etc. Avengers was kind of like a B-team Justice League.

The early 200s actually made Captain America interesting thanks in large part to stellar art teams. Bendis put Spider-Man, Spider-Woman, Luke Cage and Wolverine on the team making it a really interesting read for newbies.
    The J-man

I first became a fan during John Byrne's Avengers: West Coast run. I was already collecting X-Men (titles) and Spider-Man, but I wasn't a fan of the BIG Marvel Heroes. I guess it was because if Secret Wars and how my X-Men were treated like the wayward step-children. But after getting the first Phoenix Saga trade and then some back issues of X-Men and Alpha Flight I was an instant fan of John Byrne's. He was the reason I got into the Fantastic Four too after getting the Trial of Galactus trade.

Around that time I also started dabbling in on the main Avengers title but for some reason it was less exciting. It didn't have the drama of Scarlet Witch and Vision, the unrequited love of Wonder-man, the love/hate of Hawkeye and Mockingbird or the conflict of adding US Agent to the team.
    A team with Captain America, She-hulk, Thor and Namor just wasn't hitting it for me. And when Rage came in, I couldn't roll my eyes far enough.

I didn't really started loving the Avengers proper until volume 3 with Busiek and Perez. Still the best Avengers run of all time, in my opinion.

Spectacular Member oldschoolfan's Avatar

There were no comics shops, so when you went to the local Rexall you got what was ever on the comics rack. Avengers #80 First Red Wolf was there, so begged my sister for some change. I figured out how to turn in soda bottles for change and then bought the reprint annuals, then the Skrull/Kree war. My sixth grade teacher was so cool, she let me read Avengers #100 in class because I had my work done.

I probably don't qualify as a Jarvis head, but I have loved me some Avengers Comics over the years.
    I am committed to the idea that any work of art should be judged on its own merit, not on the behavior or beliefs of its author.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Stark View Post
    This is how it was for me except with Iron Man. I was into Iron Man. He was in The Avengers so I begin to pick up Avengers and I love the dynamic with the team and then they became my team.
    I'm curious, where did you hop on with the Avengers? Do you remember what run?
    "You don't raise yourself by stepping on somebody else"

Currently looking for a pull list... Does near-mint West Coast Avengers count?

#givebackthesuit
    #stopstealinghisstuff

Quote Originally Posted by Mary Jay View Post
    I'm curious, where did you hop on with the Avengers? Do you remember what run?
    I really don’t recall. Why? I just remember that I got the issues that were out then and started buying back issues immediately after. Well issues that had Tony as part of the team.
    Last edited by Tony Stark; 07-31-2019 at 05:53 PM.

Spectacular Member

Off topic, but can we talk about how cool Count Nefaria is? He's a cool character and severely underutilized.