Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Do I need to read anything prior to starting Hickman’s run?

I stopped reading the X-books soon after Second Coming. The books were so good back then and then the quality tanked big time, along with my interest.

I’ve tried so many times getting back into the X-books but none of them since Second Coming have managed to hold my interest for very long.

I’m going to try reading Hickman’s run but wanted to know if I’ve missed anything major in that time that plays into Hickman’s stuff?

EDIT: I guess I should also add that the Academy X group was my favorite, and I miss Hellion, Anole, Elixir, etc. I bet none of them factor into any of the books now though, as that’s been the case for years now.
    Last edited by brandnewfan; 08-18-2019 at 05:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by brandnewfan View Post
    I stopped reading the X-books soon after Second Coming. The books were so good back then and then the quality tanked big time, along with my interest.

I’ve tried so many times getting back into the X-books but none of them since Second Coming have managed to hold my interest for very long.

I’m going to try reading Hickman’s run but wanted to know if I’ve missed anything major in that time that plays into Hickman’s stuff?
    You really don’t. So far any extra context needed has been alluded to, and very quickly it builds its own context. It does help if you have a rough idea of the history of the X-Men in broad brush strokes, but you almost certainly have that based on your reading.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Yeah, basically if you have any remote idea who Xavier, Magneto, Cyclops, and the X-men are, you're good.

Nope. I haven’t been following the current books either up until hox and can pretty much get it all. Like jkthemac said knowing character history helps but I mean if you post here you should be fine. If I’m confused by anything either google or other posts on here can fill me in no problem

EDIT: I guess I should also add that the Academy X group was my favorite, and I miss Hellion, Anole, Elixir, etc. I bet none of them factor into any of the books now though, as that’s been the case for years now.
    You don’t need anything at all, I’d say. And Elixer was referenced on a list of Omega Level mutants, so that era is at least getting mentioned.

Watch a bunch of Star Trek.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Do I need to read anything prior to starting Hickman’s run?
    just yourself

Although everyone’s already given you the answer about the readability of the book, I probably thought it would be good to also quell those Academy X concerns. Elixir is given a mention and will most likely play a big part in HOX, and up to Dawn of X title announcements at SDCC, Hickman’s been singing the New X-Men fan anthem about how there are a bajillion characters, we don’t need new pet characters, there should be a focus on underutilized characters, and “tell forward-looking stories about a lot of characters- many which you haven't seen in awhile.”

Maybe it’s also worth mentioning that the very first issue opens with a new status quo in medias res and catches you up as it goes (with many blanks still not filled in), which could make someone feel like they’ve missed something explaining how everyone got here or why certain characters are alive or working together etc., so it may help to be reassured that that’s purely a storytelling choice and you haven’t missed anything.

Anyhing that you've missed that may be relevant, hasnt materialized yet. As of now, it seems removed from continuity and very easy to jump on board

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Although everyone’s already given you the answer about the readability of the book, I probably thought it would be good to also quell those Academy X concerns. Elixir is given a mention and will most likely play a big part in HOX, and up to Dawn of X title announcements at SDCC, Hickman’s been singing the New X-Men fan anthem about how there are a bajillion characters, we don’t need new pet characters, there should be a focus on underutilized characters, and “tell forward-looking stories about a lot of characters- many which you haven't seen in awhile.”
    Glad to hear. I hope that materializes. But I feel like there have been many teases for more Academy X that never panned out.

Status quo for the Academy X gang:
    Wind Dancer: Depowered, last seen in New Warriors.
    Wallflower: Murdered by William Stryker in Kyle and Yost's New X-Men.
    Elixir: Turncoat. Last seen with the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants in the last issue of X-Men Blue.
    Icarus: Also killed in Kyle and Yost NXM.
    Surge: Out of focus for some time after New X-Men ended. Presumed to still be a student at the school until Age of X-Man.
    Prodigy: Was a Young Avenger. Listed on the Champions' Reinforcement Roster but never actually appeared there.
    Hellion: Was shown to be working in a hospital in Uncanny Avengers.
    Dust: Currently a member of the Champions.
    Mercury: Same as Surge.
    Wither: Turncoat. Started working for Selene. Killed by Elixir.
    Tag: Depowered then killed in bus explosion at the beginning of Kyle and Yost New X-Men.
    Rockslide: Usually shows up in the school based books, often with Anole.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

You don't need to read anything prior to this in fact so far there's very little in HoX and PoX so far that references anything beyond the genocide of Genosha.

Fantastic Member

Uhm. Gonna buck the status quo here a bit and say that reading past issues with Moira might help. Her retcon is self-explained, but all the stuff she's done with Charles and Xavier over the years wasn't necessarily, and they intentionally gloss over details that weren't changed that she had a had in to save time/pages, so if you don't know what she's been doing the past fourty years.. you're gonna be confused on why she's so important.

Not that it's vital to understand the plot, so far I think it makes sense on its own, but it would certainly help to know Moira and the character's history with the X-men and charles especially.

BANNED

Most of the stuff that happened after Second Coming barely mattered anyway, so you're good. Unless you want to see how Jean and Nightcrawler came back from the dead, which is the real major difference and can be easily glossed over.