Default Trade Paperback Question

Hey gang, I recently picked up a used copy of the "From The Ashes" trade paperback and was wondering which "series" of TP this was a part of and why it exists? I loved that it covered a chunk of issues from my childhood and I'd love to track down others similar to this from the same era. Just confuses me a little as the "Essential X-Men Volume #" books seem to cover the same ground? Was it just a way for them to fool you in to thinking it was a "sequel" to the Dark Phoenix Saga volumes as the Amazon reviews seem to indicate?

https://www.amazon.com/X-Men-Ashes-C...gateway&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Hey gang, I recently picked up a used copy of the "From The Ashes" trade paperback and was wondering which "series" of TP this was a part of and why it exists? I loved that it covered a chunk of issues from my childhood and I'd love to track down others similar to this from the same era. Just confuses me a little as the "Essential X-Men Volume #" books seem to cover the same ground? Was it just a way for them to fool you in to thinking it was a "sequel" to the Dark Phoenix Saga volumes as the Amazon reviews seem to indicate?

I bought "From the ashes" as a 33rd birthday gift to myself back in 1998. This was from UXM vol 1 #168-176. This was a sequel, in the sense that it was a plot by Mastermind to get revenge on the X-Men for getting his head messed up by Dark Phoenix Jean in the original Dark Phoenix story. Essential X-Men vol #4 reprints the same issues that are in "From the Ashes", but only in black and white. (I have all 11 Essential X-Men volumes, too.) Also, one thing you have to keep in mind is "From the Ashes" was published before the Essential volumes came out.
    Last edited by mikeb; 09-03-2019 at 07:41 AM.

Thanks, that makes sense. So it's a colorized versions for issues that hadn't been compiled in the Essentials at the time. I liked the format and hoped they had done more issues like that but I guess I'll just keep my eye open for special trades like this one at the book shops.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post

From the Ashes predates the Essential and Epic Collection series by a couple of decades. I received my copy of it as a birthday gift in 1991.

It is a sequel to the Dark Phoenix Saga. Just not in the way the cover implies. IMO, it's best thought of as a middle volume in a 5-volume "Phoenix" arc. It follows the Phoenix Saga and the Dark Phoenix Saga, and it precedes Phoenix Rising and Inferno.