Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Same here .
    Yeah me too.

As much as I did enjoy Ragnarok (flaws and all) I really disliked how they literally swept the floor clean and got rid of friggin *everything* from the previous films. The only holdovers were Loki and Heimdal, and they probably survived Ragnarok just so they could die in the first ten minutes of Infinity War.

I get it. The Thor franchise wasn't doing as well as Marvel wanted it to, so they cleaned house and started from scratch. It was smart business. I get that. But gods damn, did they have to be so....disrespectful? Is that the word I want? Hell, the Warriors Three get about two lines between them, Sif never even shows up or gets mentioned, and I dont think Thor ever even acknowledges that these friends of his, who have helped him so much, were murdered.....it felt like throwing the baby out with the bath water. Ragnarok is a fun movie and I do enjoy it but it was straight up cold, as far as the classic Asgard dressing and characters are concerned.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Yeah me too.

As much as I did enjoy Ragnarok (flaws and all) I really disliked how they literally swept the floor clean and got rid of friggin *everything* from the previous films. The only holdovers were Loki and Heimdal, and they probably survived Ragnarok just so they could die in the first ten minutes of Infinity War.

I get it. The Thor franchise wasn't doing as well as Marvel wanted it to, so they cleaned house and started from scratch. It was smart business. I get that. But gods damn, did they have to be so....disrespectful? Is that the word I want? Hell, the Warriors Three get about two lines between them, Sif never even shows up or gets mentioned, and I dont think Thor ever even acknowledges that these friends of his, who have helped him so much, were murdered.....it felt like throwing the baby out with the bath water. Ragnarok is a fun movie and I do enjoy it but it was straight up cold, as far as the classic Asgard dressing and characters are concerned.
    I don't even get why they needed to kill the Warriors Three off. If they felt audiences didn't care enough about them that they could just kill them off, it's not like they would be effective in selling Hela as a legitimate threat when they'd barely done anything with them.

It also bothered me how quick it happened and with so little fanfare aside from Hogun. You could tell they just didn't really care and just wanted to get them out of the way. Which kind of surprises me considering Waititi emphasized so much comedy and the Warriors Three are all about that comedy relief. Volstagg is basically classy Fat Thor.

I mean, I know they kept Heimdall around because he was the biggest actor who had barely done anything up to that point, but I don't think it would have hurt to have more recognizable names among the Asgardians Thor was supposed to care about. Now we get lip service that the "Warriors Three will be remembered" when the most they've lived up to that is powered-up Thor in Endgame sporting a Volstagg-esque beard (which I doubt was intentional).

I guess, silver lining, it opened Zachary Levi and Idris Elba up for DC movies .

Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

I don't even get why they needed to kill the Warriors Three off. If they felt audiences didn't care enough about them that they could just kill them off, it's not like they would be effective in selling Hela as a legitimate threat when they'd barely done anything with them.

It also bothered me how quick it happened and with so little fanfare aside from Hogun. You could tell they just didn't really care and just wanted to get them out of the way. Which kind of surprises me considering Waititi emphasized so much comedy and the Warriors Three are all about that comedy relief. Volstagg is basically classy Fat Thor.

I mean, I know they kept Heimdall around because he was the biggest actor who had barely done anything up to that point, but I don't think it would have hurt to have more recognizable names among the Asgardians Thor was supposed to care about. Now we get lip service that the "Warriors Three will be remembered" when the most they've lived up to that is powered-up Thor in Endgame sporting a Volstagg-esque beard (which I doubt was intentional).

I guess, silver lining, it opened Zachary Levi and Idris Elba up for DC movies .
    And now you know why i'm not a big fan of the MCU, especially the Asgardian/Cosmic side of it.

Generally Marvel has struggled a lot with their villains. Loki, Thanos, Vulture, Ghost, Killmonger......Mysterio was fairly decent......if we include the tv side of things Kingpin was fantastic. But other than them? Yeah, lots and lots of wasted opportunity and potential with most of the bad guys.

Ronan is probably the worst of them all, simply because the 616 has such complexity and depth. Honestly, so far the Kree as a whole haven't been handled the way I had hoped they would be. I was really looking forward to Captain Marvel, hoping we'd not only see what set Ronan on the path of zealotry but also a better, more rounded view of the Kree.....and I definitely didn't get it. I got hope for the future, but.......really, the MCU needs to take a hard look at how they handle their villains and make some adjustments. We need more Lokis and fewer Yellowjackets.
    I think you're gonna like this deleted scene. https://youtu.be/0OhGwz1wB-c

Same here .
    It really says something about how Feige and Perlmutter handled the Asgard mythos when they blew it up in order to make MCU Thor more popular.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    It really says something about how Feige and Perlmutter handled the Asgard mythos when they blew it up in order to make MCU Thor more popular.
    Asgard has been destroyed several times in the comics - how many Ragnaroks have there been? It's always been about dealing with Thor as a character stuck between two worlds -some writers lean into it, some don't. (even King Thor indicates choosing Asgard over earth this time) Simonson got rid of Don Blake, and they never turned back.

BANNED

Agreed, sadly.

I mean, who knows though? Captain Marvel ends with a lot of interesting loose ends that, at least to me, seemed implied to maybe be picked up in the sequel. We know the skrulls (Talos and his people anyway) end up back on earth. We know that Ronan eventually goes rogue, that the Kree made peace with the Nova Corps after being at war with them for generations. We know Carol planned on going after the Supreme Intelligence and was in space (or at least not seen in public) for two decades. And we know that Ronan swore to return for Carol.

There is a whole mountain of potential there to continue Ronan's narrative and explore him (and everything that happened with Carol and the Kree) more deeply. And while it seems likely the next Captain Marvel film will take place in the present day (or, well, present day MCU; 2023) we've already had some films set in the past, and more on the way (like Black Widow).

So maybe all hope is not yet lost. Maybe we'll get a CM sequel set in the past that covers at least some of these threads....but I'm definitely not holding my breathe. I think Marvel will want to explore the cosmic MCU post-Snap more than they'll want to fill in the blanks on things we already know the ending to.

The introduction of adult Monica.....I suppose I could see that support either the idea of Carol's films exploring the past *or* as proof they're looking forward. The fact that Monica is showing up in Wandavision rather than CM2 *could* indicate that Carol's sequel will be set in the past, and thus there'd be no way for adult Monica to show up. OR it could tell us that they're setting the stage for a fully formed, heroic Spectrum (or whatever name she goes by) in CM2 without having to spend screen-time on Monica's origin.
    There’s been rumors about having another Marvel hero in CM2 on top of the idea of doing Secret Invasion so Im skeptic on another period piece unless they do flashbacks throughout the movie

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Asgard has been destroyed several times in the comics - how many Ragnaroks have there been? It's always been about dealing with Thor as a character stuck between two worlds -some writers lean into it, some don't. (even King Thor indicates choosing Asgard over earth this time) Simonson got rid of Don Blake, and they never turned back.
    Jms brought Donald Blake back but he was quickly forgotten after JMS left the book.
    I think an easy way to look at Thanos stories is that anything written by Jim Starlin, Ron Marz and Keith Giffen is the real Thanos while anything written by other authors should be dismissed as a Thanosi clone.

Quote Originally Posted by MadFacedKid View Post
    There’s been rumors about having another Marvel hero in CM2 on top of the idea of doing Secret Invasion so Im skeptic on another period piece unless they do flashbacks throughout the movie
    Really? I hadn't heard that. So they introduce Monica just to shunt her off to a different franchise? Well, she's not really a major aspect of the Captain Marvel franchise despite using the name for a while....but I was really hoping we'd see Carol get to hang out with adult Lt. Trouble.

I'm guessing one of Mar-Vell's kids is the "other hero." A month or two ago I'd have said Phylla was the most likely; a powerful woman in a film franchise focused on girl power, and LGBT on top of that. She's my favorite of the Marvel kids too, so maybe I'm just being biased.

But now I'm thinking that Hulkling could be who gets brought in. That would work well with what appears to be a slow build up to a Young Avengers/Champions group (Cassie Lang, Ms. Marvel, Kate Bishop, maybe Parker....). It'd flow nicely with what we saw of Mar-Vell in the last movie. And in a post-Snap MCU the Kree certainly suffered as much as everyone else so perhaps uniting their empire with what's left of the Skrulls is a tactical advantage for them. Yeah, it could be Hulkling. Though I'd still prefer Phylla.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Really? I hadn't heard that. So they introduce Monica just to shunt her off to a different franchise? Well, she's not really a major aspect of the Captain Marvel franchise despite using the name for a while....but I was really hoping we'd see Carol get to hang out with adult Lt. Trouble.

I'm guessing one of Mar-Vell's kids is the "other hero." A month or two ago I'd have said Phylla was the most likely; a powerful woman in a film franchise focused on girl power, and LGBT on top of that. She's my favorite of the Marvel kids too, so maybe I'm just being biased.

But now I'm thinking that Hulkling could be who gets brought in. That would work well with what appears to be a slow build up to a Young Avengers/Champions group (Cassie Lang, Ms. Marvel, Kate Bishop, maybe Parker....). It'd flow nicely with what we saw of Mar-Vell in the last movie. And in a post-Snap MCU the Kree certainly suffered as much as everyone else so perhaps uniting their empire with what's left of the Skrulls is a tactical advantage for them. Yeah, it could be Hulkling. Though I'd still prefer Phylla.
    My white hair tomboy Phyla needs more love.

Generally Marvel has struggled a lot with their villains. Loki, Thanos, Vulture, Ghost, Killmonger......Mysterio was fairly decent......if we include the tv side of things Kingpin was fantastic. But other than them? Yeah, lots and lots of wasted opportunity and potential with most of the bad guys.

Ronan is probably the worst of them all, simply because the 616 has such complexity and depth. Honestly, so far the Kree as a whole haven't been handled the way I had hoped they would be. I was really looking forward to Captain Marvel, hoping we'd not only see what set Ronan on the path of zealotry but also a better, more rounded view of the Kree.....and I definitely didn't get it. I got hope for the future, but.......really, the MCU needs to take a hard look at how they handle their villains and make some adjustments. We need more Lokis and fewer Yellowjackets.
    TL;DR People wanted to see the Ronan from Annihilation and not Kree-Skrull War Ronan with a edgelord makeup.