Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Saoirse Ronan The Accuser CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree's Avatar

Default The MCU wasted Ronan the Accuser

I'm re-reading Annihilation and Conquest right now, and Ronan has much more depth to his character than what is portrayed in Guardians of the Galaxy and Captain Marvel. The movies just has him as a edgy complete monster villain, destroying Xandar for the sake of evil, when really in the 616 universe, he's a far more complex character. He is like Judge Dredd or Inquisitor Eisenhorn, he has a grey and compelling morality, and though he may be a ruthless dude, it's not as simple as what is portrayed in the film. He cares about the survival of his people and the individual acts of justice, not the context. And his relationship with Crystal of the inhumans was cute. It's a shame we'll probably never get anything like Annihilation on the big screen.

Loki aside, I think the MCU did a somewhat poor job of villains in general in the first couple of phases. Most of them weren't particularly memorable and most were killed off. I think in later phases they handled villains much better.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Loki aside, I think the MCU did a somewhat poor job of villains in general in the first couple of phases. Most of them weren't particularly memorable and most were killed off. I think in later phases they handled villains much better.
    Thanos was great.

Marvel's 1st Superhero Reviresco's Avatar

Ronan was wasted, I agree. But even worse, they wasted Lee Pace!
    Namor the Sub-Mariner, Marvel's oldest character, will have been published for 85 years in 2024. So where's my GOOD Namor anniversary ongoing, Marvel?

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainMar-Vell92 of the Kree View Post
    Thanos was great.
    He didn't do a whole lot in the first couple phases but yeah ... he was great in Infinity War and End Game.

He didn't do a whole lot in the first couple phases but yeah ... he was great in Infinity War and End Game.
    He was considered a lazy and incompetent villain in the first two phases.

In Infinity War yeah. In End Game he was a jobber.

Ultimate Member

Taser Face was treated the worst! The worst I say!

would sell both my nuts for a war of kings movie in phase 6 or 7 or whatever
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member Force de Phenix's Avatar

They also wasted the Black Order

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    would sell both my nuts for a war of kings movie in phase 6 or 7 or whatever
    both?!
    The J-man

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    both?!
    hell yeah
    it's war of kings man
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Thanos was great in Infinity War, but beyond that, all Marvel villains have been a letdown in one way or another.

Generally Marvel has struggled a lot with their villains. Loki, Thanos, Vulture, Ghost, Killmonger......Mysterio was fairly decent......if we include the tv side of things Kingpin was fantastic. But other than them? Yeah, lots and lots of wasted opportunity and potential with most of the bad guys.

Ronan is probably the worst of them all, simply because the 616 has such complexity and depth. Honestly, so far the Kree as a whole haven't been handled the way I had hoped they would be. I was really looking forward to Captain Marvel, hoping we'd not only see what set Ronan on the path of zealotry but also a better, more rounded view of the Kree.....and I definitely didn't get it. I got hope for the future, but.......really, the MCU needs to take a hard look at how they handle their villains and make some adjustments. We need more Lokis and fewer Yellowjackets.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I remember being pumped for them to do something more with him in Captain Marvel, but he basically ended up being little more then a cameo in that movie (like with Korath). Like they just brought him back for some fanservice, and that's it.