Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Rookie Robin unvilievablypastry's Avatar

Default What’s a Superman Comics you would write?

If you could write a Superman comic, what would the comic be about?

I'd ghostwrite Superlad93's Agent KR pitch. It's basically Kon-el working for Cadmus as like a summer job or something (I forgot how he phrased it).

BANNED

I have ritten a Superman short story called: Superman's True Super Power.
    But for the action packed fans, i currently write a story called Superman: Gladiator.
    Superman is forced to participate into a fighting tournament on a planet orbiting a red dwarf star.
    In this story, i try to reveal what exactly defines Clark Kent as Superman. (Spoiler: It's not his set of super powers).

Metropolis: City of Tomorrow an Astro City-esque exploration of what it’s like for the citizens of Metropolis to live there. Basically be a series of short arcs following minor heroes, villains, and citizens, no “big” characters would ever star but you could have cameos, and Superman would always have some role to play in what’s going on, even if he never showed up on-panel.

Astonishing Member

I'd want to write a mini series about Superman's career.

Start off with the Golden-Age. Might be literally the 1930s or it could be Morrison's updated jeans-and-T-shirt take. Maybe even a Clark as "Superboy" tale with him visiting Metropolis as a teen. But, basically Superman with power levels close to Action #1 battling street level threats and corruption.

Move on to the Metropolis Marvel era where Superman's powers are greater and the challenges a bit higher. If I started in 1938 this would be like 1950-ish. Inter-gang, Lex/Ultra-Humanite with some hi-tech city-wide threat. Lois and Clark as friendly rivals with Clark having an unreturned crush on Lois.

A Superman closer to the Post-Crisis approach. (1970's) Maybe a few JLA cameos but largely Superman as the main defender of Earth. Brainiac, Darkseid's minions, maybe Mongul. Clark and Lois married with Jon as a small child. Kara and/or Kon-El are active.

The cosmic Superman based on Earth but active across the galaxy. (1990's) Brainiac-Prime, Zod, Darkseid. Lois is reaching retirement age, Jon as a new Superman II.

The "future" … Lois death, Superman/Clark becomes one public identity. Not sure if I'd lean towards Superman becoming more powerful or coming back to lower power levels.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

I'd write a Terra Man story that spanned time: the past with Terra Man in Smallville set in the Old West before he has powers, the present where he returns to Earth to torment Superman in Metropolis, and the future where Terra Man faces down Morrison's Superman in the Sun. Of course I am just ripping off Jason Aaron's Thor!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I'd be lucky to write whatever length I can get. But it would be more or less the same long or short. My favorite writers are Siegel, Schwartz, Dorfman, Maggin, Bates, Stern, Weezy, Ordway, Casey, and Schultz. that's a long list but I can say I've put some pretty good thought into writing a story that distills what I've learned about Superman from them. It would be an essay in screenplay form.

As many have described comics, although we're talking a flat and silent medium it's really one with no budget. You have these incredible visuals and it's so much easier to go back and pore over them at any time. I like internal emphasis: comics these days are obsessed with making things "matter" and having this big sense of relevance across the publishing lines and sales charts. But movies are typically just important to themselves. Hits take time, talent, and money to intentional degrees, sure, but comics just seem to worry too much about other comics, generally speaking.

The point of view characters throughout my story would be Morgan Edge and Oswald Loomis in addition to (naturally) Lois and Clark. What gets these two up and running in crazy old Metropolis? How do ordinary men matter and when exactly do they become extraordinary? How do they cope with Superman and the world he brings to them? What do they not see or know about him, and what might he be missing? I'd like to write a domino effect that goes in different directions... I guess you could say my other influence in the opening sequence from Superman III.

Hopefully these sort of descriptions wouldn't tip my hand in the event that a real opportunity ever arises. It's kinda weird but my only real hope now is becoming so well known in healthcare that I'm sort of a catch. Actually receiving training as a writer hopefully wouldn't change too much of me if it ever came time to really try.

I like the sort of artists who can innovate fight scenes because I think it's good for storytelling overall. I'd wanna spend time working out how to do super speed without working myself into a corner and for all the freedom the artists would probably need from page to page I have a few gags that would require precise teamwork. A big part of my stories would be the idea that we can't comprehend his power, so I'd wanna work on static display tricks with my team.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Ha! How many years do I get? I once blueprinted what my run of Superman would look like and I hit 50 issues before even reaching the main chunk of the over-arching story. And I'm not one for decompression. I make no comment on my ability as a writer, but I have enough ideas for Clark I could write him for the rest of my life and still have story left to tell.

If I had only one issue, it'd be the Ultra-Humanite and Superman playing chess for the sake of Metropolis. Might sound boring written like that, and the story was conceived as being pretty light on action (it was imagined as a break between arcs) but it still had the requisite minimum amount of punching and super feats.

If I could write a full six issue story, it'd be the marriage of Maxima and Vartox. Superman and the family is "invited" (ie, not really given a choice) and Clark is Vartox's best man.....but someone is trying to sabotage the wedding and all evidence points to the Man of Steel! Political intrigue, space ships, and a deeper exploration of Almerac than anyone has done yet (to my knowledge).....it'd be Game of Thrones meets Star Wars with Superman stuck in the middle.

If I had a year it'd be a three-way war between Ultra, Lex, and a new Power Company, with Metropolis as the battle ground and the prize being a new operating system that, quite by accident, taps directly into the Source.

If I had years......it'd be all these things and so, so much more.....with the ultimate drive of the first half of the story being a plot by Solaris the Tyrant Sun, which eventually in the second part (these "parts" requiring several years to tell each) puts Clark up against something even beyond the Monitors.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

If DC was crazy enough to say yes to my random ass then I'd probably do something maybe a little unexpected.

I wouldn't pitch for any of the big books like Action or Superman. I'd ask for a little every-other-month book that adhered SPECIFICALLY to the mission statement of "Superman is us but on an epic scale," and I'd make the book technically the most mundane of the whole line in terms of the subject matter being tackled. It is squarely through Clark/Superman's eyes.

Think a super powered version of Harvey Pekar's American Splendor, or the litany of satires of the mundane from the 90s like Dilbert or Rocko's Modern Life.

So, my book would feature stories about Clark deciding on his health insurance, having a sick day, going camping, and taking care of a sick dog. But since it's Clark, he's deciding on Justice League health insurance and looking through the spontaneous resurrection plans. It's his sick day being caused by some space cold. It would be all of the relatively mundane aspects of camping, but it'd be in space with his super powered son. And His sick dog is the super powered Krypto. It would be absurd by its very nature and sometimes intentionally comedic and satirical, but it would also aim to hit at the genuine emotion (whatever it may be) of its real life counterpart.

Just to illustrate: another one of the stories would Lois and Clark going through the rainbow of emotions that comes with expecting a child.

I'd also have a end of season "Crisis" in a way only this book could have. It's a story called "Harmony" and it's entirely about an argument between Clark and Lois. The twist, if you will, is that every single other analog of Lois and Clark in the multiverse is having some form of disagreement too. We'd quick-cut between Lois and Clark verbally arguing to like Bizarro and Bizarro-Lois yelling sweet nothings at one another, then back to Lois and Clark, then over to a universe where that Superman and Lois Lane bearing up for a war against each other. As the argument with our Lois and Clark escalates, so to does the scale of the conflicts between them on the other Earths till we see Galactus sized, space god versions of them trashing their universe in their fight. It would obviously end with our Lois and Clark making up, thus creating the domino effect of setting all the other worlds right, and the two space god versions of them restarting their universe together.

The idea being that this is what an argument with someone you love deeply feels like. It feels like a Crisis. It feels like your world is is under siege. Then when you make up, it 100% feels like a new, bright and brilliant dawn filled with possibility.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-02-2019 at 06:17 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    The idea being that this is what an argument with someone you love deeply feels like. It feels like a Crisis. It feels like your world is is under siege. Then when you make up, it 100% feels like a new, bright and brilliant dawn filled with possibility.
    I wasn't sure what you were going for here.....sounded like a really fun idea for a storyline now and then or a web comic, but not a solo series....but the Crisis sold me on it.

What would you call it? Marriage in Crisis? Personal Crisis? Crisis Between Infinite Clois?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    sounded like a really fun idea for a storyline now and then or a web comic
    That was intentional. It's why I wanted it to only come out every two months. I'd have a Mitch Gerads or David Aja on art (Cameron Stewart is a also a possibility). Very naturalistic and weighty in its implied movement, and in the way the clothes set and hang on the characters. No real "glamour shots" or unnatural posing.

What would you call it? Marriage in Crisis? Personal Crisis? Crisis Between Infinite Clois?
    The story is called"Harmony," primarily to play off the idea the multiverse being inherently musical, and the feel of a choir coming together.

If this were a real thing, then editorial would likely make me call it something more on-the-nose or funny. And I wouldn't mind it too much, but I'd rather someone not go into it expect primarily comedy (don't get me wrong, it's got funny moments for sure), or having the main idea given away before hand. "Crisis of the Heart" might be something I'd be cool with.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 08-02-2019 at 07:11 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Retired

I always wanted to write about the original Superman and have it fit with the actual stories that were published in the 1930s and 1940s, rather than Earth-Two which fudged a lot of details. I'd want to write stories that make connections with the original stuff, so it all fits together nicely.

But Superlad93's idea made me think, I would have been quite happy if I could have been Henry Boltinoff. Instead of doing a long form story, I could just do a half page gag strip that would appear in every DC book that month. Something like Super-Turtle or Cap's Hobby Hints.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Probably the fan fiction that I'm writing about a member of the Kryptonian science council that believes Jor-El and flees to Earth as well and his life on Earth while Kal grows up. Other than that, I'd like to do his definitive origin (wouldn't we all). In terms of just general Superman stories, one idea I had was that a super-villain comes to Metropolis to fight Superman and kills an entire train station full of people. The incident so enrages the new mayor of Metropolis that they ban Superman from the city for good reasoning that the only reason the city has all this craziness in the first place is because of him. The mayor then runs for re-election on the platform of keeping metas out of the city altogether. It is later discovered that the mayor works for Luthor and the attack was staged to turn public opinion against Superman.
    Last edited by superduperman; 08-02-2019 at 06:05 PM.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by unvilievablypastry View Post
    If you could write a Superman comic, what would the comic be about?
    I'd like an cosmic story where Superman is somehow transported to a far away galaxy that has a much younger yellow sun, or another kind of star or even several stars that give him more power or even different powers. I want to see him fighting powerful beings and creatures unlike anything on the solar system.

I also would like to see another cosmic story in which Clark doesn't have his powers anymore and helps a primitive civilization to become free from their ruthless oppressors (because he's very smart and brave duh). I think it'd be interesting to see him losing much of his memory, so he can even have a sort of romance with someone else haha. Of course, he goes back to Earth at the end and remembers who he is.

All of these stories need a lot of adventure, drama, suspense and action. And we can see all those strange and unique worlds and creatures.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 08-03-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Incredible Member

I’d write a story that features four characters, defines the relationship between two pair, defines two characters apart from each other in separate stories.

It would show deeper relationships between Superman & Supergirl And Superman and Power Girl. The stories of the two pairs wouldn’t necessarily cross into each other. A lot of it would be defining Power Girl and Supergirl. It would cover them over several years.

One reason is that Kara Zor-El has been treated so inconsistently. She was a teen student, a college student, a soap opera star, a reporter and on and on. Shifts with the winds. Meanwhile, lark is always a reporter. Bruce is always the playboy millionaire. But this would really define the to women as separate characters not mirror images of each other on different Earths.