Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

What's NOT a Superman story I'd write, is an easier question for me.

I have too many Superman stories kicking around.

A crossover where Clark, Lois, and Jon cross paths with Gohan, Videl, and Pan after Lex Luthor on one side and Freeza on the other, open up a wormhole in hypertime. Pan being the curious and adventurous Saiyan that she is, flies through with Gohan and Videl right behind her.

From there, Superman and Great Saiyaman team up to put a stop to the nefarious deeds of Luthor and Freeza. Meanwhile, Lois shows Videl around the Daily Planet, and Jon learns how to babysit a super powered toddler that drags him into all kinds of mischief.

Spectacular Member

A town in Northern America that realizes how much better things are after Superman helps and gives from the heart. This leads to the town becoming the first monetary free populace on Earth.

Right now, I would like to write a story about how the United planets Superwatch had tried to recruit Superman for his ranks but he keeps rejecting them, because it would make him have to leave earth.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

I wanna write the story as to how and why, in a New 52-like scenario, Superman got the power jump he did between Morrison's run and the five year later present day. I've been thinking lately that since it always was rather strange how he had the major bump that didn't feel completely natural, why not make it unnatural? Something supercharged him beyond the normal period of time his body charged and developed abilities. In that world what his usual level of power ends up being was something that, if a natural process, would have only happened if he'd been on Earth a hundred years or so. Making his abilities even more unique. Its not at all put together yet, but in my head it has something to do with the suit. Like in the beginning it acts as a solar battery in of itself, storing energy and making him stronger than he'd normally be while wearing it. Some sort of event occurs though during a fight with a villain that forces said energy all into him at once unnaturally but he survives it and the power jump is permanent. Details pending in my head.

It would throw Supergirl and characters like Zod into upheaval, but hey its just in my head.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 08-07-2019 at 08:56 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

I've had a lot of different ideas but in particular I'd probably do something where he's proudly and unabashedly puts this " I want to be human" stuff to bed once and for all. Have the guy state that he's a proud son of Krypton and embrace his significance as a an immigrant. I feel like the farmboy thing has been put in as a kind of buffer to play up his "Americaness" and make the immigrant part fade into the background but I'd like to push the immigrant factor back into the forefront.
    Rules are for lesser men, Charlie - Grand Pa Joe ~ Willy Wonka & Chocolate Factory

My story would kind of be a Year Two take, after the origin but before he's really established himself well, and still has more of the golden age, t-shirt and blue jeans spirit. I'd keep it out of actual continuity, but in that sort of classic, could almost fit into any era or continuity model, cherry picking my favorite bits from old and recent origin stories and the like to fill in his background while telling new early in his career tales. Try and balance the focus between his Clark Kent life and Superman life, avoiding as much as possible the Daily Planet staff ever getting an actual look at Superman's actual face because once they see his face it'd be a dead giveaway that he's really Clark - even have him revealing his secret to Lois eventually by letting her see what Superman looks like. So a lot of tricks like ripping off Flash's blurry vibrating face shtick, using low-level heat vision to futz with cameras, and giving him a sort of "flashlight vision" in the dark that's useful for lighting up areas at night for people but also is a bit blinding to try and look directly at his face. You have to admit a harmless flashlight vision and camera scrambling infrared/heat vision is a pretty natural extension of his normal heat vision and x-ray vision powers. Vibrating fingertips also deals with the whole fingerprints problem. Really try and modernize the whole "he can keep a secret identity" thing instead of ignoring it (eventually he can be less careful once he's established Clark and Superman being two different people, but I've always felt an early years Superman without all those years using robots/holograms/shapeshifters/masters of disguise covering for him should be a smidge more cautious).

He's already met and fought Lex, and a handful of other early important villains including the Ultrahumanite (who's still in original frail old man body), Parasite, Toyman probably, a few more already established as "returning" rogues, but there's still room to introduce a few more of his classic rogues for the "first" time. Would love to write an origin for Bizarro, really make the whole duplicator ray itself more of a big deal in plans. A sort of "science gang war" between the two ultimate scientists, Lex and Ultrahumanite, would be a pretty cool story. Lex is the alpha male genius scientist, inventor, corrupt businessman, would be political leader, just distil everything he's been into one mean package. Ultrahumanite is the more mysterious mad scientist, even he can't remember his origin or earlier life, just that he's always wanted to take over the world and has the mind to make it happen. Both are brutal, but Lex is better at hiding his villainy from the public while UH doesn't care that the world knows he's evil. Really think a war between the two would provide a perfect challenge for an early Superman.

Since I'd stick to the couple of origins where Lex helps create Parasite and I'd have Parasite not be all too happy about that, I'd have Parasite working for Ultrahumanite while Bizarro is on Lex's side of the crime war (imagine Superman getting in between a fight between Bizarro and Parasite). And have both utilize/hire the services of Intergang. Not sure where Toyman or Metallo would fit in, or what other villains I'd want to include, but I'd make it a nice big showing with a number of Superman's rogues. I don't feel like there's enough classic stories really showcasing a lot of his rogues in one story, so I'd try and have this do that.

Really show up both his skills as Superman and as Clark Kent investigative reporter in this.

I'd also would like to include his first team up with Batman, his first team up with Wonder Woman, and the first team up of the full Trinity over the course of the series. I love the big three you know, and their interactions with one another, so I wouldn't want to resist doing some of that in a way that hopefully makes everyone shine. I'd also have Superman and Batman get into various little fights where they lose and win and one up each other, not in a serious way but one of those friendly teasing smug rivalry kind of things some guys get into because honestly I'd just think it'd be a bit of fun to have them keep a running tally of "victories" like that all in good humor. Wondie would act like she's above that, but she'd get in a few clever words in and show them both up at times. But even during the team ups it's still a Superman series and all this focus is in his corner of the DCU.

The tone would range from light to dark, but always kid friendly~ish (PG13 at worst, and that rarely). So Superman would always be light, always be hope, but his world would be allowed to get dark from time to time, but never enough to be depressing. Just dark enough to let you know that yes this is a job for Superman! And have him save the day. Think Young Justice TV show for the range between light and dark.

. A year 1 style story or adventure played in clark's earlier years with his powerlevel the way it was when the golden age started and morisson's earlier new 52 superman run. Pitting supes against the ultra humanite, toyman and a new villian in celebration of max fleischers superman animations.

2. A edgar rice burroughs and jules verne adventure styled story with early lois lane and clark kent on a expedition to dinosaur island with vixen making a guest appearance. Lois and Clark would be played as rivals trying oust one another while trying to survive dinosaurs and a beautiful tiki goddess that clark falls for whose trying to make superman her husband.

3. A miniseries delving into the romance shared between clark kent and his old crush mermaid lori lemaris and an adventure the two shared one summer when they traveled around the globe which would lead to a spinoff where we get to see lori as one of mera's best friends and aquaman's most experienced spy.

4. An elseworld story where after graduting from college a teenage clark travels the globe and meets up with a teenage bruce wayne and diana as the trio travel the world together and share adventures learning about each other and discovering themselves.

5. A story delving into the rivalry between trigon and darkseid.

6. The return of the character Lyla Lerrol from Superman: Godfall and a fight between her and lois lane where lois becomes superwoman again.

7. A murder mystery story with superman using his investigative skills as a journalist and abilities to solve a string of gruesome murders within which batman gets involved and aids supes.

8. A alien styled story with Superman vs the coronavore aliens created by scott snyder where due to the fact they are parasitic predators and feed off solar power and thus have the power to kill superman, clark is forced to use his wits aswell as kryptonian tech to fight the monsters.

9. Superman vs samson

10. A adventure shared with wonder woman that has a clash between hercules and superman

11. A teamup story of batwing and steel

12. A superman and john constantine crossover comic with the spectre making a guest appearance.

14. Superman vs a cult of vampires wishing to use his blood in a ritual that will help even the playing field between them and metahumans

15. Superman vs Milk-man in a fun, wacky adventure that myxpltk gets involved in.

16. The return of wraith and creation of a government run justice league of america with wraith as its leader and general lane as its high commander.

17. A elseworld story of superman being raised and struggling to do the right thing while trying to maintain his moral compass in a game of thrones styled universe

18. A elseworlds retelling of superman being raised on apokalips as darkseids son. Which then leads to this superman meeting and facing against his main universe counterpart

19. the return of kismet in all her cosmic glory and the roles she continues to play in superman and his family's life.

20. The return of the Kryptonian goddess Cythonna as a sympathetic character

21. A deeper look at the relationship between superman and doomsday with doomsday getting character development.

22. A worlds finest adventure with doomsday and joker teaming up against superman and batman.

23. Doomsday being used and trained as a champion in gladiator pits by mongul

24. Supergirl facing off against reign and going into the connection between reign and doomsday that leads to a alliance between the house of el and zod joining forces agaist reign, doomsday and the rest of the world killers.

25. House of el and zod trying to move past things for a better tomorrow.

26. Zod son and jon on an adventure which leads up to a teamup with damian.

27. A story that delves into the reason why superman is so powerful and how it relates to the god rao, aswell as cythonna forming a connection with doomsday.

28. Livewire redeemed

29. Brainiac forming an alliance with reign and creating an army of world killers with superman, zod, their families and doomsday being the only one who can stop them.

30. A crossover with godzilla using elements from legendary's adaptation of the character where darkseid upgrades king ghidorah with cosmic new god technology and supes is forced to team up with the king of monsters to stop darkseid and ghidorah.

31. Jon kents first crush

32. Jons first real fight

33. Jon and conner teamup with kenan kong making an appearance

34. Superman having an adventure with kenan kong where they face off against the monkey king sun-wukong.

35. The justice league is forced to fight in a electric warriors mortal kombat tournament with mongul as its master.

36. a darkseid avatar appears with the memories, mind and body of dan turpin and chooses to police metropolis. The story is meant to show how some of darkseids avatars have minds of their own, following the same path as his true self, dan turpin sets out to inforce his form of justice on the planet while protecting it. Superman along with orion must choose to fight with or against him.

37. a lois lane, catwoman and wonder woman teamup adventure, featuring the egyptian goddess baast as the main antagonist.

38. An adventure with the quintessence where the group actually does something.

39. Jon kent meets and goes on an adventure with some of the old gods of the sun like Ra, Amarestu and Quetsalcoatl.

40. Doomsday becomes a member of the suicide squad after a great deal of character development.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    A sort of "science gang war" between the two ultimate scientists, Lex and Ultrahumanite, would be a pretty cool story. Lex is the alpha male genius scientist, inventor, corrupt businessman, would be political leader, just distil everything he's been into one mean package. Ultrahumanite is the more mysterious mad scientist, even he can't remember his origin or earlier life, just that he's always wanted to take over the world and has the mind to make it happen. Both are brutal, but Lex is better at hiding his villainy from the public while UH doesn't care that the world knows he's evil. Really think a war between the two would provide a perfect challenge for an early Superman.
    Ah, you had that idea too huh?

It's a pretty obvious one right? Two bald evil scientists throwing down to see who's top dog? I'm surprised it's never happened.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Dralokonda View Post
    25. House of el and zod trying to move past things for a better tomorrow.
    I've really enjoyed the little bit of movement Bendis has taken in that direction but I find myself sort of torn by the idea. Making Zod less of a straight up villain could be an amazing development, but he's such a great rogue I'd hate to see him disappear from Clark's list of bad guys (even if he has been overdone in larger media). How would you spin this story out?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

It would be part of the aftermath of house of el and zod joining forces against reign, doomsday and the rest of the world killers. After a great deal of thought, Zod realizes the folly of the constant waring between their houses and realizes if things continue, they could end up wiping each other out and bring their species to extinction. Zod then goes about trying to convince kal to help him release all the kryptonian prisoners in the phantom zone with the idea of subjecting them to his and clarks rule to help repopulate their species aswell as try to find other kryptonians in hiding among the stars. It works to some degree as zod has also formed an alliance with Sinestro to help keep the prisoners in line.

I would write Superman of the future. Its unspecified how long it has been, but its so long that almost everyone who knew Superman has long since passed away and he has become an old legend. Now he moves from planet to planet righting wrongs, while being unrecognized as the actual Superman. Something like the lone hero from old Westerns who moves from town to town, gets involved in their problems and moves to the next town. In Superman's case, the next planet.

Over time Superman has grown more powerful developing the ability to travel through time. By the rules of super-time travel, he can't be present as two persons at the same time. He often goes back to see his old life as a phantom or ghost. Only Krypto is able to sense him. As a hobby he goes to the time before he was born and messes with history, like fighting Nazis or stopping the asteroid which killed dinosaurs. This doesn't really change history but creates parallel worlds, Endgame style.

Sometimes he returns to his adopted planet Earth to one of his Fortresses of Solitude under the Pacific ocean. Maintained by robots who are lead by one named Jon. Jon is a robot made by Superman whose circuitry is designed after the 'brain-map' of his long dead son Jon. Over a period of time Superman has grown to see him as his foster son.

That is the kind of approach i will take. Superman is alone. No guest appearances unless its something like a far descendant of Jimmy Olsen. Not even villains like Braniac, Darkseid or Vandal Savage who make sense to make an appearance. Superman's time has long since gone. World has moved on. New heroes and villains come and go. In his thinking, old should make way for new. But being as he is, he keeps fighting for truth and justice, across the cosmos and across time. While staying incognito.

If i get a long time to write by some insane higher ups in DC, i can write a lot of stuff about Superman of the future. But if its limited to say something like six issues or so, i may write something like this.

First two issues will be my typical adventure for the Man of Tomorrow. We meet Superman in his secret identity on the new planet. Yes, he makes a secret identity, for his identity of Superman, which happens to be a secret. (Remember he's a historical figure). He does that to identify with those he wants to protect, lest he starts considering himself as being a God or superior to others. We meet the villains and see why they need to go. We see the local heroes who are outmatched. During this, one of the heroes (who has become friends with Superman's alter ego) finds out the truth about him and we come to know about Superman through dialogue between them. The second issue ends with the villains loosing, and Superman moving on to the next planet adopting a new identity.

Third issue will be my throwback one. Superman gets into a planet which uncannily resembles his past life on Earth with stand ins for Lois, Perry, Jimmy, Krypto, etc. For a while he considers settling down permanently. But he decides against that, as long ago he had decided that he shall have no home, so as to say the whole cosmos is his home now. After that particular adventure, Superman feels nostalgic about his adopted planet and decides to return to Earth.

The fourth issue will see him return to Earth after a long time. I have an idea of something like this. He makes quick sweeps around the globe within a short time. Seeing monuments like Statue of Liberty, running across the Great Wall of China, etc. Impressed with the new ones since his last visit. Slowing down to enjoy the natural sights. Stealthily helping the heroes when cornered by villains having the upper hand. And then he goes to his Fortress under the ocean meeting with Jon. We get a tour of the Fortress, knowing a bit about the Fortresses on other planets. A new class of robots based on Superman's own 'mindmap' who are engaged in research work, which Superman sometimes dabbles in. (There are a few hints of the work being done. One is Superman's own body to crack the code of his unnatural longevity. Like about Hawkman to understand mysteries of afterlife). The issue ends with an invasion upon the Fortress.

Fifth issue will see Jon and Superman teaming up to take down the group of villains who have arrived to take revenge on Superman tracking him back to Earth. After Jon and Supes defeat and capture them, Jon informs Superman about an archaeological find since he had gone. A holographic message for Superman, calling for help. Date of the artefact: sometime around 1940s.

Sifth issue, begins with Superman surmising that the artefact has to be from an alternate earth. We come to know about his time travelling adventures. This could be from a timeline Superman created, as obviously such devices couldn't be from the early twentieth century. After anayzing it they find the parallel universe. Superman goes to that universe, using a ship capable of travelling through the multiverse. (Designed by Lara, Superman's daughter who used to be the member of Justice League of the multiverse). 1940s of this world is quite different. Think of cyperpunk with Nazis. Superman's arrival turns the tide of the battle. When the Nazis refuse to surrender their last bastion, Superman single handedly ends the war. But he is unable to stop the creation of Nuclear Man.

Seventh issue has a world shattering battle between both of them. Sometimes they would fight on the sky, sometimes on the ground, or under the sea. Nuclear Man(NM) whose punches are as powerful as atomic blasts proves to be a strong opponent. But when he realizes that he can't win against Superman, he tries to cheat. One of his powers is to touch metallic objects turning them into nuclear bombs. He throws a lot of these 'atomic bombs' around the world. Superman moves really fast neutralizing them by throwing them to the sun or letting them explode within his closed fists! After a particular maneuver where Superman stops thousands of these 'bombs' within seconds, NM gloats. How long can he keep up without failing once. He is getting tired. His hands have started bleeding. And one failure may lead to a million deaths. Superman agrees to leave Earth. He shakes his opponent's hand. Then lands a punch which makes NM dizzy. An enraged Nuclear Man tries to punch Supes, but only breaks his wrists indicating that he has lost his powers. Superman leaves for his home universe, and we see what happened. Within the few moments NM was dizzy, Supes took him across time to far future before the sun explodes. He returns back to the time before Nuclear Man's creation and as a 'phantom' finds out the failsafe for NM, as he had surmised the Nazis would have that to control him. He returns to the future, brings NM back to the 'present' and removes his powers. All of this happens between the few moments, NM was dizzy!

Back in his Fortress we see him tell this to Jon. He decides to leave, promising Jon that he would return sooner next time. Epilogue, shows Lois in her apartment doing stuff, 'Lois' of third issue was doing. Krypto senses someone outside the balcony. Lois asks, Is it Smallville? But she sees no one outside.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-15-2019 at 08:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I've really enjoyed the little bit of movement Bendis has taken in that direction but I find myself sort of torn by the idea. Making Zod less of a straight up villain could be an amazing development, but he's such a great rogue I'd hate to see him disappear from Clark's list of bad guys (even if he has been overdone in larger media). How would you spin this story out?
    I had an idea about Zod teaming up with Superman. That story had a world engine which was used by Zod once to terraform Earth. Stolen by the followers of Solaris, who wanted to terraform a planet into a living cyborg planet for Solaris, when Solaris had failed to take the place of Sun of our solar system.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 08-15-2019 at 08:16 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

My story is a period piece. It's just an idea. What if Clark's ship landed in india during the start of British colonisation ?
    The space ship lands on a village near ganga. The couple that find him are farmers jayaram and Maithili. They are born of lower caste. When superman's ship landed a metoer shover occured(in Smallville) . The infant is named Vaikartana or karna for short. Being adopted by the people in the lower caste vaikartan has to break the chains of rigid casteism that had shackled the indian society. All the while, a new enemy is coming from across the sea with technology far advanced. (let's just say the British just got scifi boost. Only, done to keep it interesting with superman being the opponent ). Can vaikartan unite the different castes, religions, cultures of the indian subcontinent to defeat this enemy in time? Most importantly, will vaikartan be able to stick to his parents teachings of ahimsa(non-violence)?
    Well he sort of fails. But becomes a symbol that ultimately changes everything for everyone. And people join him in the sun. Btw,Vaikartana means the son of sun(surya)!lol!
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 08-15-2019 at 10:56 AM.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I'd write something about Superman's connection with the New Gods. Something about the Super City being something very special to Superman and New Genesis being a true place of sanctuary for him. We need a story that solidifies and clarifies Superman's relationship to the New Gods.

We also finally need a story about Solaris the Tyrant Sun. It's an absolute crime that hasn't been followed up on properly.

I'm upset about some of the choices Bendis has made with the LOSH and SUperman not being a member when he was a youth. I don't like giving major aspects of his character development to Jon. This needs to be fixed ASAP. I'm still holding out hope for a Saturn Girl mind wipe scenario. That being said, I'd write a story showing the Legion's impact on Superman and his impact on them.