Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To borrow from D&D, I'd say Lobo is "Chaotic Neutral"

"A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn't strive to protect others' freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. A chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). A chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it.

Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society's restrictions and a do-gooder's zeal.

Chaotic neutral can be a dangerous alignment when it seeks to eliminate all authority, harmony, and order in society." -- from http://easydamus.com/chaoticneutral.html

I think that fits. Lobo isn't out to hurt innocent people for his own selfish advancement. That probably keeps him from being depicted as a full-on villain.

I'm not sure enough people really care about Lobo for him to be DC's most anything really.

Retired

In order for characters to be DC's most evil, they have to do terrible things to DC people we care about. Has Lobo done significant harm to anyone in the DCU that we would have an affection for?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    In order for characters to be DC's most evil, they have to do terrible things to DC people we care about. Has Lobo done significant harm to anyone in the DCU that we would have an affection for?
    Not for nothing, but has Darkseid? He appeared to kill Batman once, but he didn't. Has he really harmed anyone we (or someone) really cares about?

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Not for nothing, but has Darkseid? He appeared to kill Batman once, but he didn't. Has he really harmed anyone we (or someone) really cares about?
    Darkseid did terrible things. Mostly on New Genesis and Apokolips--but since the New Gods have become favourite characters what happens to them and their friends matters to us. A lot of his evil was done by his proxies, but since he was their master, he's ultimately responsible.

Likewise, the League of Assassins has killed many people (that's what they do), including Boston Brand (Deadman) and Kathy Kane (Batwoman).

And Reverse-Flash killed Barry's mom and seemed to have killed Iris. While Black Manta killed Aquaman's and Mera's baby son.

Darkseid has invaded Earth at least twice, killing a lot of people the first time, probably also the second time. It gives him an edge over Lobo whose whole crimes happened off-panel (mostly) and in space. Therefore, the Main Man get a pass, I guess.

Chaotic neutral sounds right.

Lobo gets a free pass because he's funny and popular (well, at one point). In-universe he's definitely a criminal with warrants in multiple solar systems, but he's "just" a bounty hunter. He doesn't typically kill people for no reason at all, he does it because he took a contract.....or they were dumb and pissed him off and picked a fight.

He didn't kill Santa because he's evil, it was just a job. And, I mean, murder is murder, but the intent behind it isn't nearly as bad as you see with other villains who're just murder-happy psychos or trying to rule the universe or something, crushing all those who oppose them. Lobo just wants beer and gas money and his rep. There *is* the whole "murdered his entire planet" thing, but......well, he's funny so he gets a free pass. And honestly, after getting a dose of Lobo, I'm willing to bet no one is really, deep down, upset that there's no more of them.

Not like the line between hero and villain is all that stark anyway (especially these days); Lobo is just one of many characters who crosses the divide. Hell, most heroes, even Superman, have taken a few lives themselves.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

I ah...i actually liked and enjoyed New 52 Lobo. He was hawt <3

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Yes, he commits mass murder humorously. I get that it entertains fans. But it irks the heck out of me that the heroes find this acceptable and still work with him, despite it. That other characters are made out of character (in accepting this) to promote his character just makes me dislike him more.
    I agree completely. Character personality has been completely abandoned for Fan service. The best thing about Lobo in my opinion... is that he isn't around THAT much. He's popular and insane and may show up occasionally in group shots, but he's not really a team-up kind of guy. And then I heard he was on a JLA team so who knows... >.<

But Deadpool is the biggest offender in my opinion. When paid assassins have fun little team ups and gain the respect of Spider-man and Captain America... two characters with STRINGENT no-kill codes... it's utterly ridiculous. I was ticked off when Bendis convinced Cap to let Wolverine join the New Avengers 'because he can do what we can't...' It is COMPLETELY out of character for Cap to accept that. but at least half the time they try to make Logan a 'hero'... Deadpool is not. He kills because either A) he's paid to... B) It's funny and/or C) They don't matter anyway.

Harley and Ivy are two others that I can't stand seeing their sins ignored because the audience likes them.

At least when Punisher used to team up with the heroes it was only for a couple of scenes and then had to sucker punch someone so he could make an escape... because Daredevil and Spider-man wanted him in jail as much as the villains they were fighting...

To borrow from D&D, I'd say Lobo is "Chaotic Neutral"

"A chaotic neutral character follows his whims. He is an individualist first and last. He values his own liberty but doesn't strive to protect others' freedom. He avoids authority, resents restrictions, and challenges traditions. A chaotic neutral character does not intentionally disrupt organizations as part of a campaign of anarchy. To do so, he would have to be motivated either by good (and a desire to liberate others) or evil (and a desire to make those different from himself suffer). A chaotic neutral character may be unpredictable, but his behavior is not totally random. He is not as likely to jump off a bridge as to cross it.

Chaotic neutral is the best alignment you can be because it represents true freedom from both society's restrictions and a do-gooder's zeal.

Chaotic neutral can be a dangerous alignment when it seeks to eliminate all authority, harmony, and order in society." -- from http://easydamus.com/chaoticneutral.html

I think that fits. Lobo isn't out to hurt innocent people for his own selfish advancement. That probably keeps him from being depicted as a full-on villain.
    He does it for the money... and for pride... I'm pretty sure those are pretty selfish reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    I agree completely. Character personality has been completely abandoned for Fan service. The best thing about Lobo in my opinion... is that he isn't around THAT much. He's popular and insane and may show up occasionally in group shots, but he's not really a team-up kind of guy. And then I heard he was on a JLA team so who knows... >.<

But Deadpool is the biggest offender in my opinion. When paid assassins have fun little team ups and gain the respect of Spider-man and Captain America... two characters with STRINGENT no-kill codes... it's utterly ridiculous. I was ticked off when Bendis convinced Cap to let Wolverine join the New Avengers 'because he can do what we can't...' It is COMPLETELY out of character for Cap to accept that. but at least half the time they try to make Logan a 'hero'... Deadpool is not. He kills because either A) he's paid to... B) It's funny and/or C) They don't matter anyway.

Harley and Ivy are two others that I can't stand seeing their sins ignored because the audience likes them.

At least when Punisher used to team up with the heroes it was only for a couple of scenes and then had to sucker punch someone so he could make an escape... because Daredevil and Spider-man wanted him in jail as much as the villains they were fighting...

He does it for the money... and for pride... I'm pretty sure those are pretty selfish reasons.
    Captain America hasn't had a no killing code in decades. He's also worked with people who have killed besides Deadpool and Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    90% of the time Lobo is presented as the lovable anti hero, sort of a 90s Harley Quinn. However the actions of the last Czarnian put most villains to shame. He murders innocents left and right, not to mentioned killing virtually last member of his race. I understand that Lobo, especially 25 to 30 years ago was extremely popular, but it doesn't make sense in continuity that more or less, the superhero community gives him a blind eye. Hell, he was in the Justice League of Americs a mere year ago.
    And that wasn't even the genocide he's committed. Throughout his many minis, his solo series, and his cameos in other books, he's destroyed countless other planets, and even a freakin' solar system on one occasion.
    Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Because villains are evil. Lobo is amoral.
    Nah, I'm pretty sure he's just straight up evil. I mean, doesn't the guy literally hate anything that's good or moral?

Also, the aforementioned genocides kinda screams "evil."

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    In all honesty, New52 Lobo is better off in purgatory. A pale imitation at best.

For the real Lobo, I don't see him as an anti-hero nor a full on villain. He's chaotic neutral. Yes, he's done a lot of bad things, but he will never break his word/contract, and never harm a space dolphin. So he does have standards.
    Same here man, same here.
    "Don't leave home without your sword - your intellect."
    —Alan Moore

Guess the same reason Namor isn't considered the same.