Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default Why does Trigon ignore/get ignored by other cosmic entities in the DCU?

Trigon is one of the most powerful threats in the DC Universe, but he only seems to ever bother the Teen Titans. Now cosmic tyrants seldom suffer other cosmic tyrants who can rival and threaten them, so it's curious that for all the time he's appeared in DC Comics, Trigon has never run afoul of such cosmic peers as Darkseid, the Anti-Monitor, Parallax, or Imperiex. Wouldn't Trigon perceive these entities as rivals/threats who must be confronted and eliminated? For that matter, wouldn't those entities also treat Trigon as a threat that must be dealt with? For some reason, their paths have never crossed.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

I think that at first, in the heydays of the NTT, it was probably because no one dared touch him. He was the Titans' cosmic threat and was to be left alone.

Then, as the team lost its relevance, and he was rehashed again and again, he lost most of his charisma, and I think that writers were more prone to just create a new cosmic threat that use a Titan-affiliated one.

Extraordinary Member

If you look for an in Universe explanation, maybe it is because he is in his own dimension, he can't leave without Raven and he other entities either don't go there, or it has no effect on the main universe if they go there so we don't know about it.

It is anyway not really clear to me how Trigon's dimension fits into the multiverse. I men is often called a demon, put never pops up in storylines about hell.

I guess he could be an entity from the Sphere of the Gods, or some sort of demon for an alien species trying to expand his dominion on Earth. But it's true that Trigon (and most other cosmic beings) fits strangely into the Multiverse. Perhaps he is from the 5th Dimension, like Mxy, since the two fought each other to a mutual annihilation in Injustice (even if Mxy was possessing the Spectre) ?

Extraordinary Member

Trigon is a very formidable and frightening villain but also a pretty dull villain. And as someone already said, he's attached to Raven. Without her story and involvement, Trigon doesn't really have much of a purpose.

Retired

When I read the orginal run of THE NEW TEEN TITANS, I was prepared for Trigon to be a very scary entity. And then I saw him. And he looked like the Great Canadian Were-Caribou. Really? Raven looks like she does and yet she's the daughter of a hippy and a were-caribou? Trigon might not have been as stupid looking as Brother Blood turned out to be--but he definitely fits that fashion trend. George Perez is hit and miss with his new character designs.

The only Trigon I really like is the one in Tiny Titans--because I can laugh at the absurdity of it all.

He lost, repeatedly, to a bunch of kids. Kind of hard to take him seriously after that.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    George Perez is hit and miss with his new character designs.
    When it comes to the New Teen Titans I can't really think of design that was a hit. Some were OK but a hit ...

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    He lost, repeatedly, to a bunch of kids. Kind of hard to take him seriously after that.
    Well, except for Gar, they weren't kids. And all the villains have lost repeatedly.

Honestly, his problem is that he is a one-trick poney, his whole deal is that if he comes to earth, he wins, is impossible to defeat him after that. the TT victory was more luck than anything else back in the days, so is difficult to write around that.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Well, except for Gar, they weren't kids. And all the villains have lost repeatedly.
    Is curious that technically speaking, only Gar was an actual teen, the rest were young adults in college.

Also he only really lost once, in spite of Evil Raven and the Church of Blood efforts, Trigon never really came back. And after that story in Lodbell TT in the New 52, nothing has been done with him again.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    When it comes to the New Teen Titans I can't really think of design that was a hit. Some were OK but a hit ...
    I mean, most redesigns for the NTT carry some fidelity to the Perez redesign, some moreso then others.

Retired

At the time I enjoyed Starfire's look, as well as Blackfire's. Raven wasn't too bad. Gar's outfit was a slight redesign of the Doom Patrol uniforms. Deathstroke and Terra were okay. I was pretty meh on the look of Cyborg. Not much else I can think of that I'd put in the plus column. And in hindsight, the costumes don't age well.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean, most redesigns for the NTT carry some fidelity to the Perez redesign, some moreso then others.
    Mostly for the characters he created.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    At the time I enjoyed Starfire's look, as well as Blackfire's. Raven wasn't too bad. Gar's outfit was a slight redesign of the Doom Patrol uniforms. Deathstroke and Terra were okay. I was pretty meh on the look of Cyborg. Not much else I can think of that I'd put in the plus column. And in hindsight, the costumes don't age well.
    - Does Gar really count as redesign?
    - I don't like Terra's design
    - And Cyborg, he was wearing a leotard

Incredible Member