Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dante Milton View Post
    Interesting issue, lots of content, Silva's best work to date.

Where is everybody getting that the machines are aligned with mutants though? My reading of the Year 1,000 scene is that the machines are the dominant species, the mutant "bath" program was successful and the mutants have been eradicated and reduced to a data set, and most humans are dead as well, with a small portion living in a zoo. The Librarian character is the young AI that Nimrod the Lesser built to oversee the bath program. The scene about preserving/copying wasn't referring to Cylobel, but to Nimrod the Greater who is apparently breaking down.

The Chimeras in Year 100 almost certainly stole a time machine, right?
    Because the blue guy is not a machine, and the young AI referred to in X:100 is Nimrod the Greater, represented by the little floating Nimrod in X:1000. Blue guy says he is trying to copy the 'soul' of the mutants but too much has been lost and mixed with machine.

I’m more interested in what happened with the Sinister betrayal tbh that sounds GoT level good, we need a mini...

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    Mutants joining the Shi'ar Royal guard reminds me of the real-life Varangian Gaurd of the Byzantine Empire, which was primarily composed of northern European groups from outside the Byzantine empire like Norse-Men and Anglo-Saxons.
    The Royal Guard is basically that anyway, comprised as it is of members of exotic, conquered species. Or maybe something like the Ottoman Janissaries, with the loyalty and trust to attain high political office (such as Gladiator actually becoming Emperor).

I decided to read the two "set the table" books. First time reading Hickman books. So does Hickman always do these info dump pages with no art? Because it pulls me right out of the comic. If you can't do it with words and pictures it's a failure on the creative team's part IMHO. Like, if a character decides to go to Dunkin Donuts will there be an info dump page about the restaurant and the origin of the phrase "Time to make the donuts"? Luckily when it's words and pictures they do quite well. Still was a good read. Not going to read the other books.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

I enjoyed HOX #1 more but this issue still caught my excitement. The world building is what I love. So much to go over. I'm loving and already getting used to krakoa and these damn seeds lol

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    I decided to read the two "set the table" books. First time reading Hickman books. So does Hickman always do these info dump pages with no art? Because it pulls me right out of the comic. If you can't do it with words and pictures it's a failure on the creative team's part IMHO. Like, if a character decides to go to Dunkin Donuts will there be an info dump page about the restaurant and the origin of the phrase "Time to make the donuts"? Luckily when it's words and pictures they do quite well. Still was a good read. Not going to read the other books.
    Do not read From Hell.

Incredible Member PlatinumThorns's Avatar

Yes. He's especially known for his charts and pictographs. I personally think it adds more substance to the story while allowing Hickman to leave his unique "mark".

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jwatson View Post
    I thought they were humans in the 1000 years story and that the symbolism was adam and even and the cycle would start all over again because they would eventually mate. Like nothing truly ends. Also i assumed the bald person using cerebro was a mutant and was basically saying i hope humans never dominate the world again. Also when the robot and him were talking they said who could have known all this and the robot said humans. Signifying the wars were pointless because no matter what humans did they couldn't stop evolution so in the end they were right but they could fight forever and the outcome would still be inevitable. Mutants win in the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    Most likely during the 900 years between "100" and "1000" the Shi'Ar/Mutant army took over the Sol system and Earth and machines decided to align with them.
    They were Humans. I didn't see the Word Homo Sapiens. I just went back to re-read it again.

Astonishing Member Dante Milton's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Because the blue guy is not a machine, and the young AI referred to in X:100 is Nimrod the Greater, represented by the little floating Nimrod in X:1000. Blue guy says he is trying to copy the 'soul' of the mutants but too much has been lost and mixed with machine.
    Rereading and the young AI is probably referring to Nimrod TG and they are trying to preserve the mutant data, but I don't think it's clear whether The Librarian is machine or mutant. The bath program is referred to as a success, so I would assume that means it was effective in eliminating mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor_Foxey View Post
    So maybe this is Xavier doing a Batman who laughs but in this case a Xavier that is a Xavier that is a lot more Sinister. All so they can get spider peace 2.0.
    Spider peace?

Extraordinary Member

Rereading and the young AI is probably referring to Nimrod TG and they are trying to preserve the mutant data, but I don't think it's clear whether The Librarian is machine or mutant. The bath program is referred to as a success, so I would assume that means it was effective in eliminating mutants.
    My reading of the bath is that it is just referring to putting mutants through the process of being broken down into data in one of these vats. The comment that puts anything into question is the one about a surprise ending to the war that made everything pointless, and does leave me open to question if this blue guy is a mutant and what 'ascension' refers to then.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

I think the benefit is that it enables him to avoid pages of unnatural exposition where characters would need to explain all that history. So I prefer it from that perspective to save the picture pages for something more interesting.

Is this Moira the one from Age of X!?

Where is it referred to as a success? The Librarian just says how Nimrod the Greater did his job of making a database of mutant minds to provide a tactical advantage. That doesn’t mean it led to the destruction of all mutants.

I think one of the text pages hints what happened: the Shi’ar took over and left their mutant troops to occupy and repopulate.

Fantastic Member Graphicisnovel's Avatar

this may not be the book for you. The fact this this is science fiction and you get to read "primary source documents" makes it real and immersive.

ANYWAY put me down for "Xavier moved the USB stick." Also I think he's in someone else's body. Won't say who...