Page 22 of 49 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

They need to get Professor Carey for a Wave 2 book.

Astonishing Member

The data pages also helps cut down the number of pages the artists have to do. From a purely logistic pov, they save time and they present the information in a more sterile manner/format.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegan Daddy View Post
    People freaking out because they had to read something without pictures
    First they came for thought balloons and I said nothing because my objections were my thoughts, and well, they took away thought balloons. Then, they came for the storyboards and I said nothing because I believe you can’t oppose if you don’t propose — and I suck at drawing. Like literally you do not want me on your Pictionary team.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Miller View Post
    Those text pieces, um how bout a double page splash, with narration boxes?

I liked reading them, but some cool art SHOWING US the events would have been betterm
    We are paying 6 bucks , after all.
    Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Right its lazy. Don't even qualify as storytelling.
    While I'm not usually a "Grammar..." guy, the grammar in this post is further away from correct grammar than Hickman's pages are from storytelling.

If it is art that you have a tough time embracing? Fine.

That does not disqualify it as storytelling.

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoEFrost View Post
    Glad to see Hickman didn't need to put any effort forth and could just recycle his own recent stories. And we were supposed to trust him with the future of the franchise why exactly?
    Trust who you want to. The Avengers story was a brief escapade and isn’t the same timeline so he isn’t recycling anything, he is clearly fond of sweeping timelines.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

What do the final pages previews say translated?

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    Except Hickman isn't writing the X-Men as serial killers so you can stop with that silly slippery argument right there. I'm not saying you have to like the subject matter at all but to try and call what Hickman is pulling off in Hox/PoX as one note is incredibly laughable as if we haven't had to suffer half baked stories from much less talented writers for the past 10 years.

And yes high concepts, sci fi ideas, social commentaries on the oppression of minorities have ALWAYS been apart of the X-Men how those ideas are told and how well they work within the narrative they're being presented in is a sign of a good writer it's about presenting a dystopian future into an X-Men for the 1,001 time and making it feel more than just a backdrop but give it a sense of depth and scale and attention to detail that was lacking in the other rehashes.

Frankly your post just reek of "Not MY X-Men" drivel.
    LOL! It's called an example; i.e, a sometimes exaggerated analogy used to explain ones position. I said, if the greatest writers in the universe were to write an artistically brilliant comic book about Spider Man becoming a serial killer, it would be artistically brilliant, but the content, the story, the subject, wouldn't be Spider Man. This was to explain the concept of how one can admire the artistry but not care for the subject matter, not to accuse Mr. Hickman of writing the X-Men as serial killers. You can have the most brilliant comic book or graphic novel--and I can admire that, and compliment it publicly while at the same time, not like the subject matter or the direction the story is going in. And I was talking about POX #1, not HOX #1. I don't agree with your assessment in any case; no one "reeks" because they disagree with you. People can have different opinions, doesn't make you right, or me either. I think in this instance, Hickman has done a disservice to HOUSE OF X, which is a much better comic book. HOUSE OF X is still a mystery. But instead of synching PoX #1, instead of weaving and creating a tapestry SO FAR, he's chosen to lay out in prose the fate and future of the events of HOUSE OF X. He may yet pull this out, but at the moment, I am not impressed with this kind of storytelling. It interferes with my enjoyment of these comics. I think it's limiting and circular.

Quote Originally Posted by tuck frump View Post
    Different mediums have different codes. Dumping whole issues worth of stories in data pages or however its called weakens and denaturalizes the story. Its also cheap when every other comic writers has to figure how to weave these kind of high concepts with the flow of the narration and art.
    Hickman is an artist working in a different way. He is working in a long tradition of writers of comics who have supplemental text based material. Have you ever read that little know writer Alan Moore? His lack of popularity is probably due to all those interweaving text pieces and other in-universe pieces. I mean LoEG was such a flop it’s just come to a end. Presumably cancelled due to lack of interest.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    “You have a lot of time on your hands” and “Be sure to drink your Ovaltine“

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Is it possible to enjoy things so far and feel like criticism is deserved? There is a lot of exposition that is being crammed into these books for the sake of world building at the expense of story telling. It breaks the craft’s “show me don’t tell me” rule. OTOH — showing would require a lot of time/effort. Let’s hope all this world building and exposition creates space for some character development.

As far as derivative goes, even X-men’s most classic stories were derivative and reflected their period. Dark Phoenix and Illyana’s demonic kidnapping happened around cultural moments such as The Exorcist and Poltergeist, respectively. The Hellfire Club’s sexy baroque underwear as outerwear reflected a moment in rock history. It’s all derivative, or rather, synthesis.
    It definitely is.

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    Well there is a clear Garden of Eden analogy.
    Religious symbolism you say?

9D5B84B7-E76C-45B5-B12B-A3B30E84FC17.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Slicknickshady View Post
    The new one says “Hello Old Friend”.

The other says “The Curious Case of Moria X”

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rivka View Post
    LOL! It's called an example; i.e, a sometimes exaggerated analogy used to explain ones position. I said, if the greatest writers in the universe were to write an artistically brilliant comic book about Spider Man becoming a serial killer, it would be artistically brilliant, but the content, the story, the subject, wouldn't be Spider Man. This was to explain the concept of how one can admire the artistry but not care for the subject matter, not to accuse Mr. Hickman of writing the X-Men as serial killers. You can have the most brilliant comic book or graphic novel--and I can admire that, and compliment it publicly while at the same time, not like the subject matter or the direction the story is going in. And I was talking about POX #1, not HOX #1. I don't agree with your assessment in any case; no one "reeks" because they disagree with you. People can have different opinions, doesn't make you right, or me either. I think in this instance, Hickman has done a disservice to HOUSE OF X, which is a much better comic book. HOUSE OF X is still a mystery. But instead of synching PoX #1, instead of weaving and creating a tapestry SO FAR, he's chosen to lay out in prose the fate and future of the events of HOUSE OF X. He may yet pull this out, but at the moment, I am not impressed with this kind of storytelling. It interferes with my enjoyment of these comics. I think it's limiting and circular.
    I agree that PoX by using the tired X-men trope of the "dystopic future" kind of takes off from HoX sense something new we have not seen, I mean, even the X-men at this point are like "another dystopic future, must be tuesday". But I don´t really think this is really where Hickman is going with this imo, my guess is that both HoX #1 and PoX #1 are exposition issues to give context before the real story and conflict begins.

That said I hope when the story is done Hickman keeps one of the main themes of the X-men which is not evolution itself or persecution, it´s the sense of family, self sacrifice and values all their members always had. AoA is a great crossover not because it happens in a dystopic future but because all the characters there sacrifice themselves to bring a better future for everyone even if they will not be there to enjoy it, I hope Hickman doesn´t forget this main theme of the X-men, Science - Fiction is good but for me it doesn´t mean much if the reader can´t feel anything about what´s happening to the characters living the story.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

The Red Dragon

The world building is fine if I care about the characters, but i have no reason to care about yet another dystopian future where all my favorited are dead or nowhere to be found. It sort of kills off the hype for House of X if we already see the repercussions now.

Quote Originally Posted by HomoSuperior View Post
    Religious symbolism you say?
    Yes, but not that garden, the reservation for the two final humans, references Eden.