Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default What are the best and worst moments for your favorite characters?

The X-Men are among the legendary comic book characters of all time. We grew up with them and know them well. So, we know the moments that best represent them and the moments that don't show them at their best.

For example: Cyclops blasting that Sentinel off his lawn was awesome. Scott kissing Emma over Jean's grave was....less so.

Best: The moment that made me love the character. When Kimura attacked X-23 at the school, and Emma psychically annihilated her.

Worst: For her? The massacre of the Hellions. For the reader? IvX or the recent Uncanny run.

Extraordinary Member Omega Alpha's Avatar

Cyclops: Top moment was the "To me, my X-men" in Whedon's run and everything that surrounded it. Beating the entire team alone in UXM #175 was great too. Worst: Well, everything under Rosenberg's pen.

BANNED

X-23

Best: Toss-up: Either being cleared of her conditioning to the Trigger Scent, killing Kimura, and reuniting with Megan and Debbie, or her actions during Orphans of X. Both are pretty much the culmination of all the development Laura has undergone since her introduction, with the former resolving three major unresolved plot points.

Worst: All-New X-Men Vol 2. All of it. Also Misadventures In Babysitting. It's the only time I've ever found Laura's actions unsympathetic.
    Last edited by Ambaryerno; 08-05-2019 at 03:03 PM.

BANNED

Creed - Best: Being inverted and starting to redeem himself while developing real relationships with his teammates like Monet.

Creed - Worst: Being jobbed by everyone and being a slobbering play thing to Mystique instead of being treated like the smart, tech-savy, well trained operative he is.
    Last edited by PetPigeon; 08-05-2019 at 12:24 PM.

For Kitty in general I'd say her best or most defining moments would be "prof x is a jerk!" or her mini with wolverine. For me personally, and this may be controversial, i really like the comeback whedon gave her in his first arc on astonishing. On the flipside, getting sent into space on that missile for ..reasons.. a couple arcs later sucked, but maybe thats writers decision not her character...im kind of blanking on that one. guess i have to read more lol

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Rachel:

Best - Uncanny X-Men when they fought Vulcan, bodying Thor in AvX

Worst - Recently with mind controlled by Mesmero, Cassandra Nova and Ahab. Eww.
    "Cable was right!"

Wolverine
    Best: I had hard time deciding between his original mini when he has a great inner monologue about always striving for change no matter how hard or scary it was, because that is what man does, not an animal. Or when he finally break off Weapon X hold on him and call then for what those bastards truly were, animals.

Worst: Wolverine Origins #26 by Daniel Way, aka that time when Logan killed a bunch of japanese prisioners because.....beats me i don't even remember, Way gave us fifty issues that pretty much destroy everything good about the characther.
    Last edited by TheCape; 08-05-2019 at 11:12 AM.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Polaris. And when I say best and worst, I do not mean only "that made them look powerful." I mean that actually did well with her as a character in general.

Best: Launching Krakoa into space, her actions while getting dug out of the rubble of Genosha (New X-Men #132), coping with the horror of the Genoshan genocide, Lorna going "bridezilla" (the broad concept, not the blaming Annie for Havok's behavior part), confronting Xavier about his philosophy vs what happened on Genosha (Uncanny X-Men #442-443), hanging out with Crystal and Luna in space, origin story (the flashback moments)

Worst: Pretty much everything Claremont (chased by Sabretooth, Malice, Zaladane, the whole "new powers" thing), the period after Havok appeared to die but before she went to Genosha (locked in an apartment, obsessing over a uniform), getting sent back into space ("I should be in prison!"), her return getting hijacked to promote Havok on X-Men Blue, Rosenberg having her show up at the end of his Uncanny book to have her ask where Alex is
    I can also be reached on BlueSky and Tumblr. Avatar by kahlart.

Ghosts of Genosha minicomic focused on Polaris, written by me and drawn by Fin_NoMore.

Polaris 50th anniversary minicomic written by me and drawn by Mlad!

Gallery of Polaris commissions (without NSFW or minicomics)

Do I even have a bad Jean moment?

Oh yeah. It was when she called the Avengers to help re-create Magneto's helmet instead of Warren and Karma.

Garbage stuff, bruv.
    "Cable was right!"

Best: When Cyclops gave a speech against police brutality in Australia. So powerful. Bendis' era wasn't the best but that moment is iconic.

Worst: Rosenberg's regression

Best Yana: Long game manipulation of everyone and anyone to ensure the elimination of the Elder Gods, retrieval of her soul stones, and subsequent allowance to be incarcerated, complete with power inhibiting bomb jacket. That was dope AF.

Worst Yana: Bandwagoning the nonsense Hitler-clops movement.

***Clarification for Worst Yana: I disagree with the heel turn Extraordinary X-Men brought, and Yana's whole "Scott is eeeeeevil" teeth gnashing.
    Last edited by Fokken; 08-05-2019 at 12:22 PM.

Best - Magik was one of the few major highlights of Bendis's run. She was written within a charming a gray area "almost villain" attitude that made her scary and endearing at the same time. I loved seeing her pal around with Magneto and Emma and make THEM uncomfortable.
    Worst - Them bangs in Dead Souls.
    Last edited by pandafarmer; 08-05-2019 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    Worst - Them bangs in Dead Souls.
    Just the bangs and not the whole "I just escaped from rehab" look?
    "Cable was right!"

Jean

Best: I love all the moments when Jean gets really passionate, in her ideals or being there for her friends, and lets lose her awesome powers.

Worst: all the stupid retcons to the Phoenix. We had a beautiful story about a woman who becomes more powerful in her own right in order to save the ones she loves. And then it gets retconned away and replaced with the bloody Phoenix force. Today it seems like every bloody character in the universe has wielded the Phoenix force. (Oprah Winfrey: ”You get the Phoenix force! And you get the Phoenix force! And you! And you! And you!”)

Edit: now I read the entire first message and not just the subject line. And it was moments when our characters have not been at their best (and not when writers have f-cked with their storylines). Sorry about that.
    Then maybe I think that either when she was portrayed as the weak(er) denmother during the first half of the 1990s. (Damn you, animated series!) Or that she almost immediately became a mother figure to Cable and X-Man but had such severe problems with Rachel.
    Last edited by johnnysv75; 08-05-2019 at 12:33 PM.