Page 35 of 49 FirstFirst ... 2531323334353637383945 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by loke13 View Post
    I hope we do.
    Why? So the message can be: "you know how you're scared of people different than you? Turns out you're right to be!"

Astonishing Member

Going back to HoX #1 Magneto says

Which would be pretty freaking ironic if the theory is that the Mutants won the war during the Ascension era.
    I’m interested enough in the story to keep going with it, but that line just wasn’t true, lol. Magneto tried taking over some little country and he made his own slaves in the savage land and apocalypse has been doing that stuff for literally centuries. He probably personally insulted by that line.

I hope we do. Humanity is trash it be nice and poignant for the mutants to realize they're not that different from homo sapiens when push comes to shove especially with Magneto's holier than thou attitude.

But that probably too cynical for what Hickman is going for.
    The last thing Magneto has is a “holier than thou” attitude. He just has a conscious recognization that his place in the world is constantly being undermined by hateful humans and that he wants to bring his race/species to where it belongs. How he handles that and his methods of doing so are a different story, but the ideology makes perfect sense as an analogy to oppressed minorities fighting back.

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

This issue really changed the meaning of Scott's talk with the Fantastic Four. Now it took a sinister meaning.
    I didn't believe when fans speculated Jean or Scott were brainwashed at the start but now it seems likely. I would prefer that than to believe they are helping to do shady stuff on their own will.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by pandafarmer View Post
    I'm not convinced that these are humans in the "zoo." I think there is a possibility that those are mutants (the one figure could pass for Logan IMO), and that the terrarium might be a recreation of "what worked" in the generations prior. I think Hickman might be wanting people to wonder if the Krakoa era X-Men might actually be the terrarium that the Librarian is watching over? It's a stretch, but that's the first thing my mind thought of when I read that last page.
    From the way the dialogue plays out it's meant to infer that it is homo sapiens in The Preserve but you're right nothing concrete has been said.

Astonishing Member

Saying he’s a new god is practically very definition of ‘holier than thou.’

I'm not convinced the blue person at the end was even a mutant.

From the way the dialogue plays out it's meant to infer that it is homo sapiens in The Preserve but you're right nothing concrete has been said.
    Heck, knowing Hickman it could be any number of things including the Librarian (and thus Mutantkind) is actually the creator of the human race and Year 1000 is actually "year zero."

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by JKtheMac View Post
    A few of us think he is the unseen “old man” that Wolverine refers to, based on Asteroid K looking very much like the tree platform / garden in Hickman’s Avengers.
    Wouldn’t “Asteroid K” just stand for Krakoa?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    The last thing Magneto has is a “holier than thou” attitude. He just has a conscious recognization that his place in the world is constantly being undermined by hateful humans and that he wants to bring his race/species to where it belongs. How he handles that and his methods of doing so are a different story, but the ideology makes perfect sense as an analogy to oppressed minorities fighting back.
    Yeah it's still a holier than thou attitude. Magneto believes the mutant race is inherently superior to humans when really they're just cut from the same cloth. Mutants are capable of great acts of atrocities as well as acts of great good.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    Why? So the message can be: "you know how you're scared of people different than you? Turns out you're right to be!"
    Naw the message would be "humanity sucks."

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Saying he’s a new god is practically very definition of ‘holier than thou.’
    Literally? Sure. As far as taking the moral high ground? The very antithesis.

Yeah it's still a holier than thou attitude. Magneto believes the mutant race is inherently superior to humans when really they're just cut from the same cloth. Mutants are capable of great acts of atrocities as well as acts of great good.
    But Magneto’s never really boasted having the better morals. The dude even called his first team the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. That definitely goes to Xavier, who tried to always separate himself from Magneto’s rugged and more destructive ideology and prove to humanity that he was better than them while sneakily doing horrible shit as well. Also, aren’t mutants the next step in evolution to humans?? They aren’t cut from the same cloth when one creates robots specifically designed to destroy the other.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    Literally? Sure. As far as taking the moral high ground? The very antithesis.

But Magneto’s never really boasted having the better morals. The dude even called his first team the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. That definitely goes to Xavier, who tried to always separate himself from Magneto’s rugged and more destructive ideology and prove to humanity that he was better than them while sneakily doing horrible shit as well. Also, aren’t mutants the next step in evolution to humans?? They aren’t cut from the same cloth when one creates robots specifically designed to destroy the other.
    Agree to disagree.

Erik around his bro Charlie after so long just gets a +10 stat boost to Ego, Swag, and PP.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Astonishing Member Lucyinthesky's Avatar

Naw the message would be "humanity sucks."
    I would say that there´s a difference between how Magneto acts around humans with power like the ambassadors in HoX and normal people who just want to live their lifes. "The holier than you" attitude is usually reserved for the first group, because he knows that they have a greater capacity to do damage to mutants and because they are in a position of power, which isn´t the case of the second group, in fact Magneto has no problem relating or even holding close relationships with normal people even if he doesn´t quite notices this, he used to be close and respected Moira, Gabrielle Haller, Lorna´s mother, respected Captain America, etc.

I know his point of view has been colored with the Magneto in the movies or Ultimate Magneto who are like "we are superior to humans in everyway" on the other hand, Magneto from Age of Apocalypse, who IS 616 Magneto before Xavier´s death, saw with his own eyes the hell mutants could bring to earth with Apocalypse as the leader but this didn´t lead to him thinking mutants were evil or humans are better, it just made him take the position of " lest get a better future for everyone, human and mutant" but in traditional comics magneto´s main priority always has been the survival of mutantkind and the way of how he goes with that has changed through the years from taking over the world, to lets have our own contry or sanctuary like Asteroid M, Avalon, Genosha, etc. and sometimes even Xavier path. His methods have changed as well depending on the writer but also by the experiences of the character.

Magneto is the opposite of Xavier in the sense that Charles looks at what mutants can do and understands human´s fear of them to a point so his X-men were designed yes, to create a bond between Humans and Mutants, but also to protect humanity from "evil mutants" while Magneto looks at the mutants as the oppresed group that humanity will do as they whish to them if left to their own devices.

I hope Hickman is going for a balanced view between the two positions.
    Last edited by Lucyinthesky; 08-01-2019 at 02:05 PM.
    "To the X-men then, who don´t die the old fashioned way and no matter how hard we try, none of us die forever" Uncanny X-Men #270, Jean and Ororo

Magneto: The master of magnetism Appreciation 2022
    Polaris: The Mistress of Magnetism Appreciation 2022
    House of M Appreciation 2022

I have no idea what's going on really but it sure it beautiful. The best x-books I've read in 5 years. I tried getting back into it during red but it just wasn't the right moment for me, this clearly is.

Magneto's dialogue has been wonderful so far.