Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 394546474849
    BANNED

Absolutely correct. As I said in a post a while back, Utopia basically hinged on the mutants segregating themselves on an island and doing fluffy PR initiatives with a sympathetic local community (San Francisco) and not much else. Of course it ended badly, it was a target on their backs.

Now, they have infrastructure and a budding trade offensive/trade war that puts them on potential equal footing with other nations and leaves human governments flatfooted. As well as a sentient landmass capable of defending itself and keeping intruders out. But it is the trade offensive - the Krakoan drugs - that is most important.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    The posts that crack me up are the ones Scott meant nothing subversive or aggressive with the FF re: Franklin. Please. That was a velvet fist moment if ever I saw one. It was dangerous, it was slightly shocking and I loved it. The X-Men should be dangerous, not a fannish collection of favorite moments where they're beyond reproach.
    It was wonderful. It gives me hope that we will get a well written and slightly radical Cyclops.

Quote Originally Posted by powerpax View Post
    Absolutely correct. As I said in a post a while back, Utopia basically hinged on the mutants segregating themselves on an island and doing fluffy PR initiatives with a sympathetic local community (San Francisco) and not much else. Of course it ended badly, it was a target on their backs.

Now, they have infrastructure and a budding trade offensive/trade war that puts them on potential equal footing with other nations and leaves human governments flatfooted. As well as a sentient landmass capable of defending itself and keeping intruders out. But it is the trade offensive - the Krakoan drugs - that is most important.
    It is possible they are deliberately stoking animosity to provoke the future war.
    Last edited by JKtheMac; 08-11-2019 at 04:07 AM.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by Strong Girl Daken View Post
    I guess when you hit a certain age anything you can ever experience is just nostalgia?
    Well since I hit 50 it does seem like many people around me are only looking for nostalgia. It’s infuriating. Plus we are living in a world pandering to that nostalgia because it makes money. Those of us old enough saw that nostalgia track being built, it started as fashion such that new things were inspired by old things. Now new things are often copying old things. It’s a kind of Historic Appropriation.

Is this run nostalgia? Not at all. It is trying to build something new and different with inspiration from the past. We have watched nostalgia chew up X-Men comics. It has left the story stalled and directionless. Where were we heading apart from a rinse and repeat of ‘humans hate mutants’? Now we are subtly shifting the game. No longer ‘can humans and mutants live in harmony’ but ‘is it possible for humans, mutants and machines to not annihilate each other’.
    “And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” ― Kurt Vonnegut Jr.