Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I feel like the Russo's really bungled Sharon in the movies if only because they could barely fit her in to what they were doing.

Maybe they felt like they couldn't top Hayley Atwell as Peggy, but still.
    Since Natasha in Winter Soldier pretty much played the same role Sharon did in the original stories, it's likely that Sharon just lost out to a bigger star.

They probably should just have cut Sharon out altogether when her role got so small, but it seems like until recently there was some kind of rule that movies had to have a love interest even when they obviously shouldn't have (like Civil War).

Quote Originally Posted by Blu_Spyder View Post
    Even though I stated "Alas poor Sharon.." in an earlier part of the thread ( referencing Hamlet very badly) in seriousness I agree with you here, (even in the early days the Disney Marvel merger Jim Shooter (of all people) made an excellent point about the synergy creep between the MCU and Marvel comics) also reviving ( I think it's safe to say it now) Peggy Carter like this cheapens the concept of death, and is the worst idea since splitting up Peter and MJ, and Greedo shooting first, (considering Ed Brubaker gave her a send off by having her succumb to alysheimers, hey people want realism in comics that is as real as it gets). However in the words of Kevin Smith "They're fictional characters"
    Fine. I feel sorry for the creative concept of Sharon, whom The King, Jack Kirby, created is going to be wasted so that the comics can align with the MCU. And I’m annoyed at the creative concept of Peggy because she was once written to have divorced Steve because he wanted to quit being Cap and become an astronaut instead. As a consumer of the Captain America IP I found the character Peggy’s motivation shallow and lacking. Nor, as a consumer, did it give me a desire to see her crop up again within the fictional storytelling I otherwise enjoy.

As a consumer of both the MCU and the comics, but one who prefers the comics, my personal preference would be that the two forms of media maintain separate universes.

Moreover, as a consumer who is interested in discussing the fictional construct of comics, a group of people developing a parasocial obsession over fictional relationships to the point they turn fandom into a warzone instead of a place of thoughtful, mature reflection, annoy me. I’ve seen a lot of said hostility coming from the group that identifies as ‘Steggies’ within MCU discussion and mourn the fact that it might creep into comics discussion as well.

Better?

BTW: it’s okay to empathize with fictional characters. It’s kind of the point. It would be pretty hard to sell the continuing adventures of an IP if the audience didn’t empathize with them. As the Star Wars franchise learned with those horrible prequels. As a consumer I found I didn’t empathize with Anakin at all and was eagerly anticipating the part where he got tossed into lava. Not a good way to sell a t-shirt with his face, nor a box of Vader Coco Puffs.

MARVEL WHEN AGENT CARTER IS RELEVANT TO THE MCU: Ehhh, we'll slide her in now and then.

MARVEL WHEN SAM IS MCU CAPTAIN AMERICA AND PEGGY'S STORY IS AS OVER AS IT COULD POSSIBLY BE: The Wilson has been removed from the timestream. Now Peggums will be your Captain.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Maybe Peggy will turn out to really be Doctor Faustus?

All-New Member

Like, even if they don't fridge Sharon so Steve can be with Peggy (we give Steve a pass for having dated Peggy before Sharon a pass because it is from the '60s and that's how Stan rolled), them having Peggy show up once alive and deaged with new ninja skills and a nose ring... That's just some kind of writing. Almost like a parody of Bucky returning as the winter soldier.

And she's the leader of the daughters of liberty and will be if/when they're spun off into their own book, while Sharon can get anything better than acting as mission control.

Quote Originally Posted by gurkle View Post
    Since Natasha in Winter Soldier pretty much played the same role Sharon did in the original stories, it's likely that Sharon just lost out to a bigger star.

They probably should just have cut Sharon out altogether when her role got so small, but it seems like until recently there was some kind of rule that movies had to have a love interest even when they obviously shouldn't have (like Civil War).
    I definitely agree that Natasha in Winter Soldier filled out the role and acted exactly the same as Sharon should/would have. We got a Steve/Sam/Natasha trio when it should've been Steve/Sam/Sharon.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Maybe Peggy will turn out to really be Doctor Faustus?
    Not the large framed bearded "Mr. Templehoff" on page 4?

In hindsight, part of me wonders why it took so long for an MCU version of Peggy to make it into the comics. I would have thought they might try something like this around the time Agent Carter actually had her own TV show.

And really, is anyone from the Invaders WW2 era NOT back? One way or the other I think pretty much everyone found their way young and healthy in the modern MU.

Side note, I'm glad to see the Commader Rogers uniform back, even though I'm sure it's temporary. It was my fave outfit for Steve.

Dryad will be the key to Sharon regaining her youth.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    MARVEL WHEN AGENT CARTER IS RELEVANT TO THE MCU: Ehhh, we'll slide her in now and then.

MARVEL WHEN SAM IS MCU CAPTAIN AMERICA AND PEGGY'S STORY IS AS OVER AS IT COULD POSSIBLY BE: The Wilson has been removed from the timestream. Now Peggums will be your Captain.
    That's a shockingly good point. Where's Sam Wilson in all this mess? You'd think he'd be right out there ready, willing, and downright eager to help Steve in any way he could.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    In hindsight, part of me wonders why it took so long for an MCU version of Peggy to make it into the comics. I would have thought they might try something like this around the time Agent Carter actually had her own TV show.
    They had minis or Agent Carter one-shots, but that was about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's a shockingly good point. Where's Sam Wilson in all this mess? You'd think he'd be right out there ready, willing, and downright eager to help Steve in any way he could.
    And of course, MCU synergy should mean Sam becomes Cap again. Instead, he's in limbo.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    And of course, MCU synergy should mean Sam becomes Cap again. Instead, he's in limbo.
    Let's not get into synergy discussions again...it never ends well .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Given the backlash that Marvel got the last time they had Sam and Steve together maybe it’s best for the both of them to stay away from each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Cmbmool View Post
    Given the backlash that Marvel got the last time they had Sam and Steve together maybe it’s best for the both of them to stay away from each other.
    Sam is Steve’s best friend. It would make more sense for him to be in the Cap book then it does that he isn’t. Sam not being there feels like a plot-hole. Like there’s an elephant in the room.

And the backlash had nothing to do with Sam and Steve being together, it had to do with HOW Steve was brought back. And I still maintain that even THAT wouldn’t have been such a huge issue - this is comics, all characters have been brainwashed/possessed/cloned to be evil at one point, no character has escaped it, not even Sam btw - but Marvel was stupid in how they marketed it. Especially because they didn’t take into account how beloved Steve Rogers is, and how the MCU crowd, who mostly don’t read the comics, and were thus unfamiliar with how often the ‘gone bad’ trope has been deployed, would react. The idiotic Hydra t-shirts Marvel sent to the shops were particularly tone-deaf.