Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    All-New Member

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    Are we thinking Peggy Carter has been alive in the post-Secret Wars universe since it started in 2015? I’d really like to see when the Daughters of Liberty were formed. Sue Richards just showed up yesterday.
    From this issue it sounds like the DoL are an old team, perhaps linked to the historical daughters of liberty. 60/70s comics show the Carters as a wealthy Virginia family, so it makes some sense for some to be linked to such a group.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    MCU style Peggy has been around for over a year, and as Captain America to boot. Saladin Ahmed's Exiles. Honestly, it wouldn't surprise me if the Valkyrie from that run (who was also inspired by the MCU) met Jane at some point - the whole team should be in 616 considering how the series ended.
    That version of Peggy originated from some android game. The premise of the the series allowed it and stuff like Tessa Thompson-Valkyrie and western T'Çhalla.

This on the other hand looks like retconning of Peggy and of Sharon's history,and it is happening in a long running series. Either someone who really likes Peggy got put in charge in the last year and a half or... That's the only possibility that makes sense.
    Last edited by IvanSkavisnky; 08-02-2019 at 08:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by IvanSkavisnky View Post
    This on the other hand looks like retconning of Peggy and of Sharon's history,and it is happening in a long running series. Either someone who really likes Peggy got put in charge in the last year and a half or... That's the only possibility that makes sense.
    That was my thought as well. And I can't for the life of me figure out why they feel she's viable/profitable. Her television series cancelled due to low ratings.

Glad to see Jessica Drew in this issue. Can’t say I liked the artwork of her though.

Quote Originally Posted by capandkirby View Post
    That was my thought as well. And I can't for the life of me figure out why they feel she's viable/profitable. Her television series cancelled due to low ratings.
    Between the show amd movies, I imagine a lot of people at this point view her as Steves primary love interest, or at least moreso than Sharon. Not that I necessarily agree or disagree, but I can see the thought process.

Dor what it's worth, I shipped Diamondback the most.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Between the show amd movies, I imagine a lot of people at this point view her as Steves primary love interest, or at least moreso than Sharon. Not that I necessarily agree or disagree, but I can see the thought process.

Dor what it's worth, I shipped Diamondback the most.
    Actually, same. Love Rachel. Though Bernie was a VERY close second.

As for Steve's MCU primary love interest, that's very true, but the MCU crowd is not necessarily buying comics. There is a HUGE disparity between the population consuming the films/television shows and the amount of people reading the comics. And in fact, characters who are popular within the MCU, are not necessarily profitable in comics. Take the mysterious case of Bucky Barnes (disclaimer: I am not picking on the character, I like the character, I pretty much like most of Cap's gallery of characters, I'm merely pointing out what numbers show because he's such a clear example of someone who is popular in the MCU, but can't sell a comic book).

These are his more recent runs/teams:

148 149 Winter Soldier 5 $3.99 04/10/19 Marvel 12,116
    121 121 Tales of Suspense 101 $3.99 01/31/18 Marvel 17,921
    156 151 Thunderbolts 8 $3.99 Marvel 14,215

The issue with Peggy is that she couldn't hold public interest, on her own, even within the MCU crowd. Her show was cancelled after just two seasons, and was barely, by the skin of its teeth, renewed for that second season. Now I actually like MCU!Peggy more than I do comics!Peggy and I watched and enjoyed that show, but if the comics are trying to draw in some of the MCU crowd into reading comics, which I'm all for them doing because I'd love to see the comics industry thrive, I just don't think Peggy Carter is a logical way to do it. At this point her inclusion seems like fan-service to a group of people who are not buying comics anyway and have shown no interest in doing so, especially as they couldn't even commit to serial storytelling in a television show.

In short, Marvel Comics is providing a supply for something that doesn't appear to be in demand.

The political polling company Morning Consult actually did a survey on the most popular MCU characters around the time Infinity War came out. They polled all demographics re: race/gender/age and even by political party affiliation. In case anyone is curious, Peggy is not on it, though admittedly, that could be because she was "dead" at the time the poll took place:

characterpopularity.jpg

Morning Consult Superhero Poll Link

All-New Member

I've looked through the Peggy tag on tumblr and there's no one thrilled about her comic return. Comic fans are bewildered, MCU fans don't so much as seem to be aware.

If it was synergy between the MCU and comics then this is too different.

If there ever was popular demand, it was probably while while she had her show.

If it is about Peggy being perceived as Steve's primary love interest, having Sharon get the most pagetime aside from Steve is kind of odd.
    Last edited by IvanSkavisnky; 08-03-2019 at 04:36 AM.