Default Shocker Appreciation (2019)

NOTE: This thread is to serve as continuation of the previous "The Shocker Appreciation thread " which can be found at
    From the previous version (originally created by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon back in May of 2014):
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost Rider TheHellfireDemon
    I've found spider man's wisecracks to him to be damn funny.

A spider man enemy that has proven to be sane and rational compared to other spider man enemies recognizing his limits.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rahul
    I don't like it when people try to write Shocker as a really dangerous character(like in Mark Waid's first story during BND). The characterization in Ultimate Spider-Man and in Superior Foes is just right for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Rhino
    Here, here for the Shocker. Great character. Just picked up ASM 46, his first appearance.

Shocker can be very dangerous when motivated and should be written as such. No need for the full out coward displayed sometimes.
    -------------------------
    from Amazing Spider-Man Annual #13 (1979)

The thing I like about Shocker is (barring bad writing) he's a professional. Now that may sound weird but its a clear distinction between "Super Villain" and professional . He wants no fuss, no murders, no crazy death schemes. Just a clean job. He's very Flash Rogues esque in that regard, being the only sane one amongst the more familiar Spider villains.

Theres also the interesting (if rarely mentioned) element of his story in that --for what is often presented as a thug-- the guys an engineering genius having designed his own suit and gear. They've never quite given a good rationale behind why he isnt a millionaire iirc which could lead to a good arc of Shocker getting rich.

I'd also be tempted to make him an occasional Anti-Hero, in that when Spiderman rocks up and is all "X villain is going to destroy the city" he aids him out of survival.

from his first appearance back in Amazing Spider-Man #46 (March 1967):

Astonishing Member

I always thought Shocker was a great villain.dunno why Shocker have not apeared in many stories.

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Deluxe Edition Vol. 2 No. 11 (October 1986)

Incredible Member Master Planner's Avatar

Shocker is one of those villains who would never be the top dog,but you will always love them, because is the working class of supevillain community and we could relate to them. Shocker is the ordinary man with ground to earth goals,so we could relate with him.
    " I am Loki Scar-Lip, Loki Skywalker, Loki Giant's Child, Loki Lie-Smith. I am Loki, who is fire and wit and hate. I am Loki. And I will be under an obligation to no one."

Previously known as Nefarius

Quote Originally Posted by Master Planner View Post
    Shocker is one of those villains who would never be the top dog,but you will always love them, because is the working class of supevillain community and we could relate to them. Shocker is the ordinary man with ground to earth goals,so we could relate with him.
    Don't know how much he was helped by being in Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man run. He may have gained some exposure, but did he lose some credibility as being a possible serious foe?
    (I borrowed the first volume of the tpb from a library and only read the first issue's story so far, but Shocker didn't really shine in that story.)

Amazing Member

Herman has always been a personal favorite Spider-Man villain of mine. Favorite stories being "Just Another Manic Monday" by Zeb Wells and "Superior Foes of Spider-Man" by Nick Spencer.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    Don't know how much he was helped by being in Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-Man run. He may have gained some exposure, but did he lose some credibility as being a possible serious foe?
    (I borrowed the first volume of the tpb from a library and only read the first issue's story so far, but Shocker didn't really shine in that story.)
    Shocker goes on quite a journey in that series, but that's all I'll say.

from The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe Master Edition No. 3 (February 1991)

Mighty Member

Ol Herman doesn’t get that much action in modern adaptations does he?

When I was a kid, in Spider-Man the Animated Series, Shocker was just “Shocker”, we NEVER saw who was the man behind that mask... he even went to jail in that suit. I wonder how he ate...

In the Spectacular animated series, Shocker wasn’t even Herman Schultz, but Montana of the Enforcers. I will say that the fact Spider-Man knew that Shocker wasn’t the same type of criminal as Rhino or Sandman and wouldn’t do something without a plan did give that version of Shocker some competency points. Plus he was the one giving orders to Electro and Vulture in their first Sinister Six match with the black suit, as he is the most experienced criminal on that team. The reasoning behind not using Herman Schultz is due to him being one of those characters where the mask matters more than the man behind it.

We had both Montana and Herman as Shockers in Spider-Man Homecoming...but there wasn’t much to go on in my opinion.

We finally got the see Herman in a modern animation in the Marvel’s Spider-Man series... but I don’t know if he will ever be seen again...

BANNED

Amazing Spider-Man #72 May 1969
    "Rocked by..the Shocker!"
    The Shocker has returned, and his first theft is of the clay tablet in the possession of George Stacy.

After easily knocking out Stacy, the Shocker steals the tablet from Stacy's safe.
    He then finds his underworld connection and tells him (Rather violently) that he will sell the tablet to the highest bidder.

When Peter Parker learns of the theft he goes looking for his old foe as Spider-Man.
    He finds the Shocker and tries to capture him, but the Shocker proves too much for the wall-crawler and manages to escape.
    Peter resumes his civilian guise so that he can see his Aunt May off on her vacation to Florida.
    Peter also happens upon an article about Curt Connors in the Bugle and muses about
    his last encounter with the Lizard, and how great it would be to work for Connors.
    While Jameson, still recovering in the hospital is fuming about another front page headline that reports Spider-Man in a positive light.

When Peter later meets up with Gwen, they are surprised to see Flash Thompson is back in town on leave.
    However, when Flash makes a harmless flirtatious remark towards her Peter loses his temper.
    Which upsets both Flash and Gwen who leaves Peter to mull over his current relationship problems.

When the Shocker attacks his next target, an armored car, Spider-Man

manages to defeat the Shocker and stop him from stealing the armored car's payroll.
    After webbing up the Shocker, one of the guards aboard the truck shoots at Spider-Man, forcing him to flee.
    Although he stopped the Shocker, Spider-Man finds it a hollow victory because Gwen's still mad at him,
    and he didn't get a single picture of his fight against the Shocker.

Script by John Buscema (plot) and Stan Lee (script), pencils by John Buscema (layouts) and John Romita (pencils), inks by Jim Mooney

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    The thing I like about Shocker is (barring bad writing) he's a professional. Now that may sound weird but its a clear distinction between "Super Villain" and professional . He wants no fuss, no murders, no crazy death schemes. Just a clean job. He's very Flash Rogues esque in that regard, being the only sane one amongst the more familiar Spider villains.
    I agree with your explanation of the distinction between "Super Villain" and professional Well done!

BANNED

Re-imagining Spider-Man Vol 2 - Shocker and Kraven