Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member legion_quest's Avatar

Default Avengers #22 Discussion/Spoilers

So, Aaron's Avengers starts a new Ghost Rider focused story today.

spoilers:
    We see Robbie struggling to control the Hell Charger and an indication Eli seems to be missing and a new voice has taken over. He asks the Avengers for help and they call in the worst re-designed Daimon Hellstrom I've seen in a long time. He tries an exorcism and Robbie ends up in hell with what looks like Johnny Blaze.

There is also some stuff with Iron Man and the historic Avengers, but meh to that.
    end of spoilers

Glad to see some Ghost Rider focus, but Aaron seems not to know what to do with Robbie as he is, so is maybe going to make him something else. Hellstrom's redesign is bad enough I had to stop reading and come back later!
    I will raise my throne above the Stars of God

Mighty Member

I loved the hellstrom re-design personally, although I'll admit he is damn near unrecognizable. And I dont think this is anything new when it comes to ghost riders. As blade notes, they are constantly getting their origins changed and manipulated.

I thought Blade busting out the hellfire shot gun was cool.

Also Aaron's Avengers 10,000 stuff is finally materializing.

Aaron seems to have that problem with a lot of characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    I loved the hellstrom re-design personally, although I'll admit he is damn near unrecognizable. And I dont think this is anything new when it comes to ghost riders. As blade notes, they are constantly getting their origins changed and manipulated.

I thought Blade busting out the hellfire shot gun was cool.

Also Aaron's Avengers 10,000 stuff is finally materializing.
    Yeah, Blade was one of the few characters I felt were written with their 'usual' voice.

I also did like the call back with the Breathing Gun re-appearing.

I think I'd be giving this more of a chance if I wasn't so down on the redesign!

Quote Originally Posted by legion_quest View Post
    So, Aaron's Avengers starts a new Ghost Rider focused story today.

spoilers:
    We see Robbie struggling to control the Hell Charger and an indication Eli seems to be missing and a new voice has taken over. He asks the Avengers for help and they call in the worst re-designed Daimon Hellstrom I've seen in a long time. He tries an exorcism and Robbie ends up in hell with what looks like Johnny Blaze.

There is also some stuff with Iron Man and the historic Avengers, but meh to that.
    end of spoilers

Glad to see some Ghost Rider focus, but Aaron seems not to know what to do with Robbie as he is, so is maybe going to make him something else. Hellstrom's redesign is bad enough I had to stop reading and come back later!
    Glad Hellstrom is seemingly going to grow his hair back for Strike Force. Not a huge fan of his redesign either.

Do they not know who Hellstrom is? T'Challa obviously did, but Steve and Carol didn't seem all that familiar with him. He's done a few things here and there with the Avengers, but I'm not sure Carol and Steve were around at the time. Or maybe they just didn't recognize him, given his new look. If not for the dialogue I probably wouldn't have.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Glad Hellstrom is seemingly going to grow his hair back for Strike Force. Not a huge fan of his redesign either.

Do they not know who Hellstrom is? T'Challa obviously did, but Steve and Carol didn't seem all that familiar with him. He's done a few things here and there with the Avengers, but I'm not sure Carol and Steve were around at the time. Or maybe they just didn't recognize him, given his new look. If not for the dialogue I probably wouldn't have.
    I only assumed it was him due to the trident. I did think at first Doctor Druid was back!

I guess it could turn out to all be a con, and this is the Darksoul version of him that has been working with Zemo in Bagalia (I think that is how they've cleaned up that editorial oversight - that the evil one is the Darksoul version, and the one that works with the heroes is the normal one?)

Classic Hellstrom with Cape >>> Freaky New Design > Genero Shirtless Man

anyway hellstrom sucks and satana is way better why is this storyline going to take 4 months jajajajaja
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I only assumed it was him due to the trident. I did think at first Doctor Druid was back!

I guess it could turn out to all be a con, and this is the Darksoul version of him that has been working with Zemo in Bagalia (I think that is how they've cleaned up that editorial oversight - that the evil one is the Darksoul version, and the one that works with the heroes is the normal one?)
    I still have to find and read that story about another version of Hellstrom walking around, because him working for Zemo really confused me back in the day. First that he was evil in the first place, and second that a hell lord would become a henchmen for Zemo.

Mighty Member

Yeah, Blade was one of the few characters I felt were written with their 'usual' voice.

I also did like the call back with the Breathing Gun re-appearing.

I think I'd be giving this more of a chance if I wasn't so down on the redesign!
    What has the breathing gun done before? First I'm reading about it

Quote Originally Posted by Tracks View Post
    What has the breathing gun done before? First I'm reading about it
    It was in the Ellis Hellstorm run, and in Aaron's 'Heaven's on Fire' mini-series.

Personal whining aside, the only real problem with this issue is that we have already had a last-page splash that's just a surprised Robbie looking at Johnny in Hell. It's like, the same page.

I think I'll drop this title. Still hasn't clicked for me

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Classic Hellstrom with Cape >>> Freaky New Design > Genero Shirtless Man

anyway hellstrom sucks and satana is way better why is this storyline going to take 4 months jajajajaja
    I like Satana, too, and I'd be glad to see more of her in the comics. That said, Jason Aaron writing a Ghost Rider(s)-focused Avengers arc is in my zone. I binged his entire run some years ago, and enjoyed it a fair deal. Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    I like Satana, too, and I'd be glad to see more of her in the comics. That said, Jason Aaron writing a Ghost Rider(s)-focused Avengers arc is in my zone. I binged his entire run some years ago, and enjoyed it a fair deal. Looking forward to seeing how this shakes out.
    I want to read his GR, but I want Marvel Unlimited to add the old GR books first so I can eat it all in order.

I bought this thinking it would tie to the Ketch book coming out. It was alright,Blade actually felt like Blade.