View Poll Results: which film rights first?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • X-Men

21 30.88%
  • Fantastic Four

37 54.41%
  • Spider-Man

10 14.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

None. All the characters I like they already own. If they get anything back, it would just push characters I like out of the spotlight. Marvel losing those rights is the best thing that ever happened to those characters I like.

Latverian ambassador Iron Maiden's Avatar

I voted the Fantastic Four for a number of reasons

• They are the true birthplace of the MU. Right now most movie goers probably think it's the Avengers and even some newer readers too. They belong in Marvel Studios stable
    • This is probably the worst handled of all the franchises Marvel sold early on in the process many years ago. At least the X-Franchise has been treated a bit better. The last two outings, First Class and DOFP were a step in the right direction.
    • Everything Fox has released so far about this reboot just has zero appeal, especially the cast.
    • I want to see Doctor Doom, particularly a more faithful Doctor Doom, in the same playground as Loki, Thanos and the Red Skull. IMO the Marvel movies need another mastermind type villain that is more Earth-bound
    • Galactus, the Skrulls and Annihilus are needed also, esp to add to the GOTG

As a comic fan, I'd love for the X-Men to come back just so we'd get some cartoons and merchandise for them again, and Marvel wouldn't be forced to decrease focus on them in the comics.

However, as a film fan, I'd choose the FF for the same reasons as everyone else. The FF and their secondary characters work extremely well in the MCU, and I'd love to see a proper take on Dr. Doom and Galactus. Plus, they've contributed a large part to the Marvel Universe (villains, cosmic characters, other lands/worlds/dimensions like the Negative Zone, etc.), so it feels like a part of it is missing without them. The X-Men's feared and hated premise doesn't mesh well with the more optimistic MCU and their franchise is big enough to support its own universe.

The X and Spiderman movies have been good and I'm not sure Marvel would do a better job with them.

I voted FF but not for the obvious reasons. I don't believe Marvel would do them any better. The FF has great characters but the "dysfunctional family" concept has never appealed to me.

BANNED

Reason the X-men would never work out is the fact that it deals with a mythos composed with hundreds of various mutant characters, complaints of "Why are the Avengers not around to help out in mutant prejudice!!" Well same reason why Stark or Thor didn't help out in Winter Soldier, SHIELD didn't help out in England or with Stark against AIM. Than f course having Wolverine shoved in every Marvel movie and being an Avenger. So really it would be one big mess and quite frankly the X-men work better in their own separate universe away from the Marvel Universe. Let them deal with the mutant problems and Weapon X. Now with the Fantastic Four they are a must. Their entire mythos has spearheaded many of Marvel's storyline and characters from the birth of Adam Warlock, Kree/Skruul War, Galactus and Silver Surfer, Uatu The Watcher, and of course Doctor Doom.
    Last edited by stingnewell; 08-03-2014 at 07:16 PM.

Talk about a Sophie's Choice.

The X-Men are my current favorite of that group. I think their "feared and hated" theme would work great in the MCU, specifically because it's a flavor we haven't really seen. And mutants. In so many ways, not least of which is AoS and things they could do with their episodic format.

But Spider-Man... That's where Marvel begins for me. I'm sad about everything SM post-OMD, but he is classic, quintessential Marvel, and while it would probably mean having to suffer through yet one more Peter Parker origin story, it would hopefully be the last, and Spider-Man interacting with the other characters in the MCU would be pure gold. And Marvel's Spider-Man movies would be incredibly fun.

And then we have the Fantastic Four. Truly the first family of the MU. People have been completely on point regarding what this franchise could mean to the MCU in this thread so far. Reed Richards and the place he holds... Dr. Doom done right and as one of the ongoing threats in the MCU... The Silver Surfer... Where current MCU Phases build to an Avengers extravaganza, developing the FF could mean a phase that ends with a Galactus story in which every character established could play a role in that epic scenario.

I am completely stumped by this question.

Of those 3, the Fantastic Four. I have no hope in what the reboot is doing with those characters.

As Much as I love Spider-Man, I'm kinda in agreement that for now his movies have been doing fairly well with Sony. Of course I would love for the rights to go back to Marvel, but I think for now they should fight for the Fantastic Four.

First reason, the FF was like the First Marvel Comic...it put them on the spot, paved the way for other Marvel Comics and I think they should get a movie on the same scale as GOTG or The Avengers.

Second.....GALACTUS!!!!! I mean come on If they can bring Thanos to life they can bring Galactus....the true Galactus, not the cloud or whatever from Rise of the silver surfer. Just look at Marvel Ultimate Alliance. How hard is it to bring that to the screen. Not to means all the other FF villains. Annihilus, Negative Zone creatures, Blastaar, INHUMANS!!!!, Or going along with GOTG...the Kree with the Supreme Intelligence....I mean the list goes on.

Astonishing Member RobinFan4880's Avatar

The Fantastic Four for sure, if for no other reason that to get a hold of those large scale villains. Plus, the Fantastic Four have been completely mishandled by Fox twice already and soon to be a third time.

X-Men are doing fine at Fox. DoFP earned more than Cap 2 and ASM 2.

Spider-Man is... A desirable property to have back but unnecessary since Sony is doing ok with it. Plus, Marvel/Disney has most of the other rights to the character (merchandising, TV, etc.).

If Marvel/Disney had all the rights back, we would not get Ant-Man, Guardians of the Galaxy or even something like Black Panther, Doctor Strange or Black Widow. Marvel would focus on their obvious bankable characters to the detriment of all other characters that could be successful.

BANNED

I don't know how much more Marvel movie product audiences can take. Think about it..if Disney/Marvel has 4 to 6 movies every year--combine that with Star Wars Films--they could overlap and cripple their own studio.

If I were other Studios I would really start to think hostile toward Disney--they are literally putting media outside of comic publishing in a choke hold.

So they really do not need to acquire anything else.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 08-03-2014 at 07:36 PM.

The Fantastic Four, for obvious reasons where my personal fandom is concerned, AND for just about every last darn thing said on this here thread that I couldn't put any better nor differently myself (except for the bits about not caring for the FF and/or their concept ).
    "Yes, I can do that!" - Ivan Lawrence Blieden

"The true is inimitable, the false untransformable." - Robert Bresson

"The boundaries which divide life from death are at best shadowy and vague. Who shall say where the one ends, and where the other begins?" - Edgar Allan Poe

"Those who believe need no explanation." - Dionysos, The Bacchae by Euripides

Marvel Future Fight: InimitableMaven, Alliance: Fates Law / Yahtzee With Buddies: TheInimitableMaven

Fantastic Member Ultimate Spider-Fan's Avatar

Even though I love Spider-Man and the X-Men, I'm going to go with the FF. Seeing spoilers:
    a Celestial
    end of spoilers in the Guardians of the Galaxy movie this weekend was so awesome, but it did make me really sad that we'll never see Galactus in the MCU.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 08-04-2014 at 03:21 PM.

Ultimate Member

All of them.

The X-movies as of First Class have recovered from past issues, and Days of Future Past was great. Honestly save the dark period of X-3 and Wolverine Origins they've been pretty much fine and internally working. I don't have a problem with them maintaining a service cinematic universe, especially since you can do a lot with only X-Characters.

But Sony has been mismanaging Spider-man badly lately, and Spidey would really do well for some teamups in future movies. Would love to see Andrew Garfield on the Avengers.

Fantastic Member

needs a fourth option. None.
    really if Marvel has any of those three, GotG might have never happened.

but in spirit of the topic, i'd choose FF, for reasons already repeated in this thread.